Need AT Binding advice

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need AT Binding advice

Thehof
I have a new pair of skis I bought on line without bindings. Blizzard Bushwackers. I'am thinking I want to put on AT bindings so I can get to the fun stuff a little easier. I still would want to use my alpine boots. Does any one have ant thoughts of which AT bindings are best for what I want. Thanks for any help.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need AT Binding advice

Thehof
Has anyone tried the Cast system?
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Thehof
I don't know much about AT bindings. But some people who do posted in this thread:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Marker-Dukes-or-Fritschi-td3217737.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Thehof wrote
I have a new pair of skis I bought on line without bindings. Blizzard Bushwackers. I'am thinking I want to put on AT bindings so I can get to the fun stuff a little easier. I still would want to use my alpine boots. Does any one have ant thoughts of which AT bindings are best for what I want. Thanks for any help.
Hi hof,

I'm no expert here, not even close... but I had been looking at that ski as a 50/50 in/out of bounds ski.

For bindings I was seriously considering the F12 tour from Marker.  Another option I was considering is Fristschi Diamir Eagle 12.  Both those bindings are pretty similar.  Both should be compatible with standard Alpine Boots.

I can see the appeal of something like the cast system, but I don't know much about it.  Also wouldn't you need a tech compatible boot for the cast?  Maybe I'm not understanding it.

What kind of skiing are you planning on doing?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Harvey
Wow, that last guy who posted sounds pretty smart.... I wonder if he'd update that long post about to include the Marker Tour series as well as the Salomon Guardian, haha.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
ml242 wrote
Wow, that last guy who posted sounds pretty smart.... I wonder if he'd update that long post about to include the Marker Tour series as well as the Salomon Guardian, haha.
Is the Marker Tour a decent binding?  I've been considering this one but have read about some failures at the hinge.  It's hard to get good feedback on this kind of gear.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Thehof wrote
I have an AT setup that I use with Alpine boots. The binding is a Marker Baron and I have no complaints the limited time I've used them with the heel unlocked. When I'm locked in I can't feel any difference from an Alpine binding, which had been my biggest concern before I bought them.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
Is the Marker Tour a decent binding?  I've been considering this one but have read about some failures at the hinge.  It's hard to get good feedback on this kind of gear.
It's great, I have gotten rid of my other Markers and ride the Tour f12 exclusively inbounds now. It's also light and tours well enough that I don't mind taking it to about 3k vert either. I've never heard of anyone breaking a hinge since it was redesigned with a metal collar and if you're sub 350 lbs I think it makes a great option. If you really want to hike farther than that amount in a day, you might as well consider looking at and investing in a dynafit system.

just my two pennies.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Thehof wrote
Has anyone tried the Cast system?
Carry around extra toes pieces for the up and down? You can have that

As ml stated.......everyone over estimates the burliness they need
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Yeah, I mean the chickering-ayers brothers may need Cast, and the people that ski like them... I'm just not throwing backflips in no-fall zones training to compete against the best in the world and look rad in pics for my sponsors. I like to take pictures and keep my head above my feet!Those guys can really ski. I wish I could recommend fritschis more. They suffer a bit on hard snow and so many shops are terrible about setting them up though. I really did enjoy how easy it was to swap between boots or lend out once you got really good at teching with them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Thank you all for your feedback  
Since I spend most of my time at lift serviced areas and just going to start going to the " backcountry ",I'll probulary try and get the Marker F12. I hope Sno-haus carries them. Gotta wait till August to find out. Again a big thanks to all  
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
I wish I could recommend fritschis more.
Not sure why you'd want to recommend them more. Maybe they have improved in more recent versions but my vintage 2005 Freerides had some issues. I'm sure they've made some improvements but the Markers look bomber and have very good feedback. Fritschis never felt close to as solid as alpine bindings.

Now my Dynafits, I trust them more than many alpine bindings I've been on. But then you need an AT boot (which involves performance sacrifice even with the beefiest option) and it is the most expensive option.

I'd just go with which ever Marker option works best for your needs and don't overestimate your need for high release, most folks don't need it.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I agree with the release thing and I know I'm not an aggressive, high speed skier.  The DIN setting has never been a concern for me.

And I can't stomach the weight of something like the Duke.

Dynafits would probably work fine, but the OP wanted something that would work with his alpine boots.

hof,

Let us know how that setup works.  I am particularly interested in skiing the exact same thing (Bushwhacker + Marker F12).  Question is if I can find the extra money to blow on skis, bindings, skins and boots before next season (my current boots are garbage so I need new ones anyway)

Don't forget skins either...
Reply | Threaded
|

ts01
Anyone considering AT gear for next season might want to look at current blowout pricing, e.g.;  

http://gearx.com/black-diamond-prime-ski-boot.html ( $200 - dynafit compatible AT boots -not the greatest liner but it's moldable)

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/277470-PSA-quot-Backcountry-quot-Boots-and-Bindings -- Someone is blowing out frame-style AT bindings including Marker Tour F12 large, all +/- $200, along with a number of AT boots in the $200 - $350 range).

I was looking at AT gear for a friend last fall and discounts were very hard to come by - less competition than alpine gear, and more demand than telemark.