Need ski help fast

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Need ski help fast - base edge separation

Danzilla
So the heel piece on one of my bindings ripped out of the track right under the headwall of lies yesterday.  Hiking back up in ski boots made me realize exactly how steep that sucker is at the top.  DIN spring went flying so I thought I was gonna have to take a ride down in a sled.  Not good enough to go top to bottom on one ski.  Liftie on top of lift 6 let me borrow his leatherman and I was able to get the heel piece functional enough to get to the bottom.  He and the other lifties and patrol were great (with a smile no less).  Thanks for the help guys - I made it in one piece.  I don't think I will ever buy another ski with a track binding system if I can avoid it.

Thanks to sports page for working some magic - my skis are on their way back to manufacturer.  Hopefully I will get a credit.  Bummed cause I liked the skis.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Not sure what you mean by track system?  can you provide more details.  There are some lower end skis that have a speed track system that is not meant for a higher end skier.

Most ski mfr make system bindings with a built in connection to the ski.  One thing I have noticed is that on the Elan's that I ski on they are fastened only with one screw on the toe and two on the heel and these are machine screws to from the binding to the metal plate.  These occassionally need to be checked for tightness since a machine screw can loosen but be careful to not over torque.  I've thought about applying locktite but then if it ever needed to be removed it could not be.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Hi Coach.  Most of the atomic Ti series skis come with the XTO12.  I got mine with the next level up - the XTO14.  Probably just a bigger spring for the higher din setting (12 vs 14).  80% of the skis that Atomic sells in this series come with the Protrack binding system.  It is possible to get flat skis but most of what they sell comes with the binding system.  My understanding is that it is a Salomon binding system.  The toe and heel piece are mounted on a sliding track.  The track system supposedly allows the ski to flex better.  Its not a beginner/intermediate set up.  Here is the binding and the ski:

http://www.atomic.com/en-US/Products/Alpine/Bindings/All%20Mountain/XTO_14/AD5001132.aspx?filter=

http://www.atomic.com/en-US/Products/Alpine/Ski/All%20Mountain/NOMAD_CRIMSON_TI/AA0024240.aspx?filter=
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I'm pretty sure the track was a compromise to get around some other ski companies patents.  The key is that they can't incorporate the connection to the core of the ski which would violate others patents so the connection is on the top sheet thus the track.

All the ski binding systems allow the binding to not block the flex of the ski to some degree.  Sounds like you just had a defect - it happens and they are taking care of you so you will get a new ski most likely.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time