44 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need ski help fast

BigK75
This post was updated on .
Hey Guys:

I leave for Lake Placid on Friday for a 4 day extended weekend at my favorite place Whiteface.  I went to sharpen my Atomic Crimsons today circa 2008. I noticed that edge has separated from the sidewall.  The edge is actually bulging outwards when looking at the base.  Its only a small separation, but still I probably cannot ski on them.  Since they are 2008 I guess I cannot claim warranty and I have to buy new skis.  I love the Crimson TIs and would not mind getting another pair, but I have been looking at some of the fat boys/twin tips and thinking about going that route.  I am particular to Atomic so I want something from their line up.  I am wondering what you guys think I should do:

1. Try going to warranty route and hope for the best, in the meantime renting skis from a shop in Lake Placid?
2. Buy another set of Crimson TIs when I get to Lake Placid?
3. Try the Atomic Theory or Panic or some other Atomic twin tip technology

Any help would be really appreciated.  I am sort of bummed about this, but I get new skis either way so what the hell :)

I should also add what type of skier I am.  I generally ski most in bound terrain on the east coast mountains.  I have skied since I was kid.  Most of my skiing is done in the east so not too much powder.  I love moguls and trees even though I am not that great at them, but can usually ski them without too much problems but I am slower then some experts.  I am 36 so I stay away from terrain park but I like to jump once a while.  No real tricks just getting some air :)  

Claude      
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need ski help fast

tBatt
You could still ski on them, but if you were going to try to warranty them you probably shouldn't.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
In reply to this post by BigK75
I'd say get Crimson Ti's, could be end of season deals already. Check if skis you're looking for are available at Whiteface rental shop as demo-to-buy deal.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No biggie....just be sure that edge is on the outside/uphill and go rip. I'm very experienced at skiing on skis with blown out sidewalls etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
campgottagopee wrote
No biggie....just be sure that edge is on the outside/uphill and go rip. I'm very experienced at skiing on skis with blown out sidewalls etc.
Wow that's awesome, that makes me feel so good.  I guess I will sharpen them tonight and keep ripping them :)   Do you know what causes this? I was in Jay Peak last weekend and spent most of my day in the woods. There were rocks and branches sticking out but I do not remember hitting anything.

is this something that ski companies would typically warranty?  Unfortunately I don't have the receipt anymore.  This is really the first time this has ever happened to me.

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
BigK75 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Wow that's awesome, that makes me feel so good.  I guess I will sharpen them tonight and keep ripping them :)   Do you know what causes this? I was in Jay Peak last weekend and spent most of my day in the woods. There were rocks and branches sticking out but I do not remember hitting anything.

is this something that ski companies would typically warranty?  Unfortunately I don't have the receipt anymore.  This is really the first time this has ever happened to me.

Claude
You would've had to hit something to cause that kind of seperation. I know cause I hit all kinds of things

They're just skis so go ski 'em...personally I can't get all wrapped up in what my skis look like. I ski wth guys who do and they just make me laugh. Enjoy your time at WF!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Camp  FTW -- Unless yer sleepin wid yer skis who gives a ratz az what they look like
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
BigK -

You should be fine to ski on them sticks.  Just do what CampPP said.  Also the conditions are very good on mtn.  No woods skiing or slides though.  We may get a couple of inches of wet snow and the temps are gonna be mid to upper 30F.

Great concert going on in LP on Sunday night.  Local band opening for Assembly of Dust.  Tix are 20 bucks american.  Show is in the great room of the Olympic Center.   They are serving Booze!! Def check it out!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
BigK75 wrote
campgottagopee wrote

Claude
You would've had to hit something to cause that kind of seperation. I know cause I hit all kinds of things

They're just skis so go ski 'em...personally I can't get all wrapped up in what my skis look like. I ski wth guys who do and they just make me laugh. Enjoy your time at WF!!!
I don't really care what they look like.  They already look like crap :)  I guess I was worried that it would completely separate on me possibly in the middle of my run.  I can actually stick my finger fail between the base and edge.  If it does not matter than I will keep the skis and rock on.  I really do love them.

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
BigK75 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
BigK75 wrote
campgottagopee wrote

Claude

I don't really care what they look like.  They already look like crap :)  I guess I was worried that it would completely separate on me possibly in the middle of my run.  I can actually stick my finger fail between the base and edge.  If it does not matter than I will keep the skis and rock on.  I really do love them.

Claude
They can be fixed. If you know of a GOOD tech take them there, if not, I'm sure right at WF they fix them for you. They just need to be hammered back then welded....good as new!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ah man AOD playing in placid, that would be a goooood weekend
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
come on up!  snow is great and obvi so will be the music!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
BigK75 wrote
I can actually stick my finger fail between the base and edge.  If it does not matter than I will keep the skis and rock on.  I really do love them.

Claude
whoa..  that's a bit more than a bend...  Local DEC Ranger also runs a tune shop - Bubba's.  "Nothing beats a hand job."  May want to have them checked out...  Def keep them as you uphill ski....

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
ScottyJack wrote
Def keep them as you uphill ski....
Your uphill ski changes as you switch turns.. Just make sure the bulge is on your outside edge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
fujative wrote
ScottyJack wrote
Def keep them as you uphill ski....
Your uphill ski changes as you switch turns.. Just make sure the bulge is on your outside edge.
Clearly that's what he meant.  But thanks for stopping by!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
fyi on the atomics you were looking at - i just checked out both of those skis for my son. while i didn't ski them i talked to a few folks that had - they all praised the theory but i couldn't get much of a deal on them and he wanted more of a park ski. the panic fit the bill on both counts but the feedback i got was that the rockered tips/tails flop around quite a bit and can be pretty sketchy at speed. jr FLYS all over the mountain so i ended up going with a nordica dead money and he loves 'em - not a true reviw tho cuz being 14 he would luv anything new with cool graphic!
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
BigK75 wrote
I can actually stick my finger fail between the base and edge.  If it does not matter than I will keep the skis and rock on.  I really do love them.

Claude
whoa..  that's a bit more than a bend...  Local DEC Ranger also runs a tune shop - Bubba's.  "Nothing beats a hand job."  May want to have them checked out...  Def keep them as you uphill ski....
Do you have a link or a phone number for him.  I could not find him on when I did a search.  

Can anyone recommend anyone else that does good work just in case he is busy.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
+1.  I know people who cringe when they hit a rock or something when the woods or Empire or whatever is sketchy, and pass on great terrain because the cover is less than ideal.  Like you say, they are skis....so ski 'em.  Usually you won't hit anything a lttle ptex won't fix, and even if you do there are ways to deal.

Will be at Whiteface this weekend myself.  Family ski day Sat.  I get first tracks and a couple hours by myself Sunday, then a full on daddy ski day Monday while the kiddos are in ski school.  Anyone gonna be there that wants to take a few runs, give me a shout.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
BigK75 wrote
ScottyJack wrote
BigK75 wrote

Claude
Do you have a link or a phone number for him.  I could not find him on when I did a search.  

Can anyone recommend anyone else that does good work just in case he is busy.  

Claude
That's amazing. I googled "Nothing beats a hand job" and got all kinds of sites
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Yeah.  He's not on the web....  

I'll check w/ him directly.  It is a holiday weekend so chances are he's working da woods...  If Bubba's a no go check first w/Ben in the WF tune shop.  Next bet would be Cunnignham's ski shop in LP.  

I'm pretty sure we shared a gondi ride your last trip to WF in Jan.  You were w/ another bigger than average polish guy right???  You guys raided the Crowne Plaza New Year's Eve party, if I am correct.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!