22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Platty Snowmaking

ml242
This post was updated on .
taken from fb:

Snowmaking pipeline getting prepped for welding...look closely at pic and you can see where it is going  
#plattekill #skiresort #bikepark #skiing #mountainbiking #snowmakingimprovements

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Platty Snowmaking

Thehof
Cool , can't wait
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
This will definitely allow for quicker and more efficient snowmaking but, IIRC, I don't think this upgrade will increase total snowmaking trailcount.  They already blew snow on Upper Plunge and Giant Slalom by pulling hoses through the woods from Northface.

But, don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing Laz and Co. investing in snowmaking and infrastructure.  I cannot wait to ski the fruits of their labor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This is awesome of course.

Reality is you can buy used snowguns but you can't easily make use of used plumbing. And that steel ain't cheap.  Plattekill had a strong second half of the season and you can see some of the results in that photo.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
If we want to support Plattekill big time, let's rent it out like I suggested here.  http://forum.nyskiblog.com/NYSB-Day-at-Plattekill-td4039495.html  That's 2,500 dollars of pure support right there, no lines.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
snoloco wrote
If we want to support Plattekill big time, let's rent it out like I suggested here.  http://forum.nyskiblog.com/NYSB-Day-at-Plattekill-td4039495.html  That's 2,500 dollars of pure support right there, no lines.
Just go. There's no lines any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
 Been there on President"s day and thought I was at a private ski club.  Only ski area I would buy a lift ticket to on a holiday. Use my season pass at home ski area on Holidays but never pay at other areas ,other than Plat. Try it Sno you will like it.
      Just getting excited talking about Platty!!  Love Summer  cannot wait till Winter
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Actually I have been there once about 4 years ago.  It was bitter cold and my dad and I could only take a few runs at a time before going inside to warm up.  It was definitely uncrowded, but we picked the wrong day to go as there wasn't any powder and all trails off the double were closed except the main one.  I would like to get there for a powder day some day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If Plattekill gets pow on a weekday they open up anyway.  Skimore is right. There really are no lines at Plattekill ever.

Someday I hope the rental will make sense, it will mean that Platty has gotten to the point where demand is higher.

Sno... we'll get you up there someday.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Sorry, but with all the talk about people drinking, my parents would never let me take a ride with someone on this blog.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
snoloco wrote
Sorry, but with all the talk about people drinking, my parents would never let me take a ride with someone on this blog.
This kid is the best!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
We don't ski, drink and drive when we are with other people's kids....just our own.  ;).  

Sno, there is a reason Craft Beer has its own thread.  With that said, I wouldn't let my kids go on a 4 + hour drive with someone they met from an online blog either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I was thinking more like ... you've got all those Hunter days, maybe cash a few in for Plattekill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
snoloco wrote
This kid is the best!!
yeah...that made me laugh too.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
snoloco wrote
This kid is the best!!
Kind of reminds me of the Groucho Marx quote "I would not want to be a member of any club that would accept people like me as a member"
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Doesn't want to ski with us unless we rent the mountain......

HI LASZLO
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I am not saying I can't ski with people on this site, I just can't take a ride from anyone like Harvey suggested I do originally.  As for splitting my days between Hunter and Plattekill, I may be able to get a day in at Plattekill on some weekend after a snowstorm when Hunter is packed to the gills, but because I have a season pass at Hunter, most if not all of my Catskill skiing will be done there.  I still think renting Plattekill is a great idea and if enough support is shown for making it a reality, I can help with the planning of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
snoloco wrote
I am not saying I can't ski with people on this site, I just can't take a ride from anyone like Harvey suggested I do originally.  As for splitting my days between Hunter and Plattekill, I may be able to get a day in at Plattekill on some weekend after a snowstorm when Hunter is packed to the gills, but because I have a season pass at Hunter, most if not all of my Catskill skiing will be done there.  I still think renting Plattekill is a great idea and if enough support is shown for making it a reality, I can help with the planning of it.
Just go on a Friday. Same thing as renting it. No organization needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Look how beautiful that mountain is... even when green.  :).  Platty is my happy place.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
5 new FAN GUNS for the lower face...