12345 ... 9
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Reality

Z
This post was updated on .
You need to show those suburban moms that book thier Holiday trip that there is snow and if WF waits to open Killington or Tremblant wins out over WF.

There are considerations on providing training space for Nysef, Northwood, and the multiple colleges that call WF home.  WF is the premier racing venue in NY and needs to have snow to train on in early December and the first races are in the weekend before Xmas.

I agree with blow up high and open Thanksgiving to mid and down load.  That botton section is sketchy early on but you need to open top to bottom by Dec 5 to 10.  You need that beginner terrain open to show the moms it's ok to book.

While the climate is changing you guys are over dramatizing it like we are in some bad b list movie.  These changes take place over way more time than you are portraying.  South of the Cats skiing is going to get a shorter season to the point it may not be economically feasible but up north change is to take longer.  We have had crappy starts recently but have had great decembers not that many years ago.  January always has had thaws and will continue.  Feb and March are 8 of 10 years to be good to great.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Skin2win till mid december!!  On the manmade!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Good for Scotty
Bad for Orda with no money coming in
Some places are now covering the blown snow with plastic to preserve it which would not be good for skinning but would use less energy for the snow made.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
I thought last season had a pretty good start.  Problem was two prolonged thaws with the first one in January and the 2nd one in late February.  They apparently did a pretty good sized snowmaking upgrade this summer, so we'll see what kind of difference it makes in terms of Christmas terrain.  Long term goal according to management is for all 3 summits to be open by Christmas, but it's going to take a few years to get all the upgrades in place to make it possible.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Climate shift is fake news.

"Areas northeast of Houston have received 40" of rain and are expected to get 20" more. Yesterday Houston nearly DOUBLED its all time maximum 24 hr rain total record - for any 24 hr rain total, ever, with more than 16" of rain. Katrina displaced 1 million people; Harvey is displacing 6.8 million. Sea surface temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico where Harvey intensified were 1-1.5C warmer than averages a few decades ago (which means more evaporation, more precipitation and higher storm surge)."

https://weather.com/storms/severe/news/harvey-houston-flood-historic
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Burn more coal!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
This is not that uncommon
In the 60's one hurricane dropped 100" of rain on Cuba
Mexico has gotten many storms over 50"s
The reason this storm is stuck has nothing to do with the gulf temps and everything to do with the big high pressure parked to the west of it not letting the storm head inland.  

Every time it's rains or doesn't or snow or doesn't liberals run around like chickens with thier heads cut off screaming about the coming end of the world.  Yet Al Gore still flys around in his private 737 giving speeches for a quarter mil a pop and you guys eat his shit up.  That guy has the carbon foot print of a small city on his own.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Burn more coal!
dude, we are using clean coal now.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
raisingarizona wrote
ScottyJack wrote
Burn more coal!
dude, we are using clean coal now.
Clean coal is an oxymoron.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Well I'm no scientist and I'm not a liberal but it sure does seem like weather patterns are getting pretty darn wacky these days.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
There was a recent attempt at commercial "clean coal". By clean I mean capturing over half of the CO2 so that there is less greenhouse gas than natural gas. Unfortunately it's not working well. (I think they are just going to burn natural gas instead of coal).You can google "Kemper clean coal" or "Kemper carbon capture" if you are interested.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Well I'm no scientist and I'm not a liberal but it sure does seem like weather patterns are getting pretty darn wacky these days.
Bro, they are!  Coach is in denial.  Probably heavily invested in fossil fuel stocks too....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by TomCat
TomCat wrote
x10003q wrote
There was a recent attempt at commercial "clean coal". By clean I mean capturing over half of the CO2 so that there is less greenhouse gas than natural gas. Unfortunately it's not working well. (I think they are just going to burn natural gas instead of coal).You can google "Kemper clean coal" or "Kemper carbon capture" if you are interested.

tom
That plant is 4 billion over budget, 3 years late, and switching to natural gas. "Clean Coal" plant is a total failure and a big lie.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I've been around here in CNY to realize noticeable changes in our winters. Yes, we certainly have winter but it's far from consistent. The last 10 years or so it seems like we will have 3 to 4 restarts. We'll get snow, lots of it, then it warms up and all melts. As I said that happens 3 to 4 times a year. Every year we're hopeful that this is the year it will start snowing on Halloween and won't stop until trout season on April 1st, but I think that's all it is ---- hopeful.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Yeah given the weather trends over the past couple decades  - id run out and buy a snow machine!?!?!?!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm only 70 minutes from the Tug --- we all know what happens there!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
If you are a winter sports enthuisist, I reconmend reading Marc Peruzzi's short article in Powder's Buyer Guide

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Anybody know if it snowed last night on Mt. Washington?
I don't rip, I bomb.
12345 ... 9