classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No more plastic bags in NY state in supermarket

billyymc
Brownski wrote
I wonder how much this has been factored in to the decision process? A lot of people will need to buy additional plastic bags for whatever purpose they were recycling the shopping bags for. Dog owners in the city and suburbs are probably the biggest group.
There are compostable bags for both trash and pet cleanup. People should put their money where their mouths are and spend a few $ to help start reducing the waste we generate.

Or we can just accept that humans are destined for extinction, likely due to our own actions, and do whatever the hell we want. Which is where we seem to be for the most part.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
Brownski wrote
I wonder how much this has been factored in to the decision process? A lot of people will need to buy additional plastic bags for whatever purpose they were recycling the shopping bags for. Dog owners in the city and suburbs are probably the biggest group.
There are compostable bags for both trash and pet cleanup. People should put their money where their mouths are and spend a few $ to help start reducing the waste we generate.

Or we can just accept that humans are destined for extinction, likely due to our own actions, and do whatever the hell we want. Which is where we seem to be for the most part.
I've reduced waste by not having kids
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
All of humanity applauds your decision to not reproduce Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
You get a plastic bag for not having kids!  You get a plastic bag for not having a car!  Enviro by Oprah....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
campgottagopee wrote
All of humanity applauds your decision to not reproduce Camp
I'd be happy with a tax deduction cause I'm sick and tired of paying for your kids!

Just kidding, not on the tax deduction thing, but for having kids. I don;t know how you guys do it. Thankfully my wife and I both realize kids are not part of our plan. Guess we're too selfish.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm all set now, I got all the bags I need in my car. Thanks Zelda.

YOU CAN DO IT SCOTTY!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
I'm all set now, I got all the bags I need in my car.

Thanks Zelda.
LOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOLLLLLL
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Truth be told so am I. I've been saved them for years specifically for meat cutting days. Other than that I take my spiffy reusable bag to go grocery shopping but I will miss grabbing them for my collection.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I have few from he dec I got at the fair.  The say "burn it where you buy it" on them.  I get a little chuckle out of them.  My buddy loves the one I gave to him.  Mass has taken a dent out of his business.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
When I go to trade shows I pick up all the cloth bags I can reasonably get and we use them as grocery and tote bags. I have a couple of compartmentalized cloth bags I got from a liquor store that hold 6 bottles of wine or booze for when I go to those stores. I never get a plastic bag if I can avoid it. I have mesh zipper bags for produce so I don't get those bags either. I always return my returnable bottles myself and collect the deposit as I am convinced that most single stream recycling goes straight to the landfill, I will even pick up returnables and throw them in my stash if I come across one on my travels. When at the grocery store I pick up a cart the idiots leave in the middle of the parking lot and walk it back into the store (no matter whether or not I need a cart) and I always bring my cart back into the store when I am done. I hate waste - independent of my views on the environment.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah, I’ve picked up promotional branded bags at work also. I made a point of collecting together a half dozen of them a month or so ago and put them in a spot they’d be easy to grab on the way out the door. Of course I came home the other day to find a certain person had bought a new one from shoprite anyway.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Yo, Americans, this is not rocket science. PeeTex is clearly ahead of the curve.

Up here in Hinterlandia, most grocery stores have been charging for plastic bags for several years now ($0.05 per, OMG), and the liquor store only provides paper (or a re-purposed box if you are buying n bulk). Like us, most folks drive around with a good supply of cheap/free tote bags in the back of the car. You end up collecting them, we probably have 20 or so spread between two vehicles. Plus we have these handy plastic bins one store offered a few years ago. Walking, riding a bike or taking the bus? Bring your tote bags with you or get the super-lightweight ones that roll up small and fit in your pocket. Forget your bags? Suck it up and pay the nickel. Use the the bag for poop and scoop later. No bags in the store? Walk back to the car and get them.

Even though we have bottle-specific totes for booze, I get the paper bags because they make excellent firestarters for the woodstove. Re-use!

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
This is funny.
Grocery store's plan to discourage shoppers from using plastic bags completely backfired
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by ScottySkis1
ScottySkis1 wrote
Try to go shopping without a car
Impossible
I might taken plastic shopping bags which in Binghamto siperm art it yesterday who knows the Dutch
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Ok, I’ve only had to fill my pockets and carry the rest in a big pile  one time. I’ve noticed I’m making more smaller grocery trips. I think I’m subconsciously afraid of exceeding my canvas bags’ carrying capacity. And it’s possible I’m trending toward more packaged products because I don’t have confidence in my bags’ cleanliness- also subconsciously. Gonna have to get over that I guess.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I constantly forget my bags in the car, so I have to just wheel the whole cart of loose groceries out there, fill the bags up by the car, then return the cart.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I constantly forget my bags in the car, so I have to just wheel the whole cart of loose groceries out there, fill the bags up by the car, then return the cart.
Did that yesterday