ScottySkis1
Try to go shopping without a car
Impossible
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No more plastic bags in NY state in supermarket

MC2 5678F589
All the stores around me appear to have switched to paper bags and everything seems to be just fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Harder for pedestrians I guess. Never thought of that.

I like the idea of switching back to paper, but is it proven to be better?  Hope so.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Clearly we’re all going to have to switch to the reusable bags, even though remembering to bring them with you will be a pain in the ass.

I think I remember when I was a kid everybody moved away from the paper bags cause we were supposedly gonna run out of trees. Am I imagining that?

A lot of liquor stores are planning to charge 5-25 cents for the paper bags.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Shouldn’t enviro-conscious peeps be sporting their own reusable totes?  Paper is probably better for the environment than plastic, but much?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
I bagged groceries while in HS. The main question was paper or plastic because at that point we were saving the trees. Now we're saving the ocean and to hell with the trees.

Also, when my dad was in HS they were talking about the next ice age. It's all one big circle jerk we live in.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
I don't think there are many Aldi Grocery stores in North Jersey/New York. But I shop there a bit and have never heard anyone complain about bringing their own bags or using a quarter to get a shopping cart then getting the quarter back when you return it.
When I bring my groceries in and unload them I fold up the two bags I use and just take them out to the car the next time I get in it. It is a ridiculous waste when you realize all of the single use plastic bags that are used everyday and then just thrown away or end up as litter and eventually in the creeks, rivers, and oceans. How many times have you seen someone buy a single item already in a bag and they put it in another bag? Or something like a bottle with an easy to carry handle and they automatically put that in a bag?
I think every grocery store should do the quarter thing with the carts. Then when people who are too lazy to even put them in cart corral ten feet away leave them in parking space, some kid will return it for the quarter.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by ScottySkis1

No bags of paper or plastic when I stopped at quick check
Pharmacy rite aid has them
Not going to figure out how to shop for people who take buses this another's stupid law that is not going to help reduce plastic production this hurts people
Yes plastic is not good for the world
But this is not going to put a dent in stopping plastic being produce at all
As a person who doesn't drive just make my life impossible
As all plastic soda bottles and food products still in plastic
NY state wonder state not
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i always have a few reusable bags in my car..so no big deal
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by ScottySkis1
Most stores sell their own reusable bags.

But if you want something bombproof, stylish, and functional (albeit not cheap), this is the company of one of my former paddling buddies.  He has a decent history of success with industrial design (backpacks, womens lacrosse goggles, that first cool Bern ski and snowboard helmet with the brim). He relocated to Washington state a bunch of years ago. He has always been a huge proponent of American manufacturing. Also a great skier and kayaker.

https://eqpdgear.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
Thanks that could help.
When I on a bike few plastic bags on my handle bar wrapped around the plastic and tie it up
Now I figure out new ways
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
The reusable bags from Wegmans have these things called handles. Spend a few dollars and get a few...I think they're a dollar each. I use them to carry cycling gear, and all kinds of shit. They hold up well. Stop whining about the plastic bag ban.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
We leave them in the car, and still forget them almost every time. We're now committed to running back out in the parking lot to grab them.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig

i prefer paper over plastic
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
sig wrote

i prefer paper over plastic

Very good!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In the not too distant past, plastic bags weren't a thing. At some point, some grocer decided to offer them at no cost to their customers as a value added service. What company gives away anything for free any more but now we all expect free bags? In the past, before most of our times perhaps, that wasn't an option. So we are perhaps getting back to that.

I manage a retail store in state that does not have bag laws. We recently switched from plastic to paper to be more environmentally friendly. My primary concern was keeping the cost the same as paper is way more expensive than plastic. We launched a campaign to encourage customers to bring their own bag or specifically request a paper bag (instead of being asked if you want a bag or auto-bagging). I was quite impressed that we actually saved money due to customers voluntarily opting to bring their own or go without a bag.

There are two issues with the bag situation... one is that people reuse the plastic bags for other things like trash can liners. So it is possible that people may increase trash can bag spending if they have fewer bags to reuse. The other issue is that reusable bags take a certain number of uses to offset a larger number of plastic bags (re: environmental impact production, transport, etc.).

That said, I think a lot of this is just how we have been raised or how our expectations have been set. I'm certainly no angel in this regard. I like the idea of leveling everyone with state laws and creating new expectations and a new normal. Kids in 20 years will wonder why the hell we got plastic bags with every single purchase we made... we'll be the Luddites that we used to think our grand parents were, in that regard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
We use all of our plastic bags again, but it's a PITA and still a waste.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yep. We save our plastic bags all year then use them to put our venison in after we cut. Makes for easy transportation home before the final wrap then freezer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
We use all of our plastic bags again, but it's a PITA and still a waste.
campgottagopee wrote
Yep. We save our plastic bags all year then use them to put our venison in after we cut. Makes for easy transportation home before the final wrap then freezer.
I wonder how much this has been factored in to the decision process? A lot of people will need to buy additional plastic bags for whatever purpose they were recycling the shopping bags for. Dog owners in the city and suburbs are probably the biggest group.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
In reply to this post by riverc0il
I was in store a few months ago and the lady in front of me bought a chapstick. Yep.....the cashier put it in a plastic bag. The lady walked out of the store and immediately threw the bag in a trash can. Do you really need a bag when you buy one of almost anything?