classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ORDA looks to the past for a ski cabin

fahz
ORDA looks to the past for a ski cabin

ORDA is borrowing a page from the past with a plan to restore a cabin that had been on the old Marble Mountain ski area, which sits off to the side of the current-day Whiteface ski center.

It would be used by skiers on the Lookout Mountain area, which has a chairlift completed a few years back.

More details at the link above:
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ORDA looks to the past for a ski cabin

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
As a lover of small and old buildings, seems like a cool idea IMO.

https://ukuleletree.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/img_7116.jpg
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Great idea!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by fahz
Huh?

Ski Patrol has been using this cabin since the lookout pod opened like 10 years ago.  My guess is the dec or APA just found out and they now are asking for permission to do something already being done likely at a cost of $50 grand in paperwork.  Too much govt at its finest.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I thought the article said they wanted the change it from ski patrol to a public space or warming hut.

To me it looks like a rundown old build with great bones that would be cool fixed up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Harvey wrote
I thought the article said they wanted the change it from ski patrol to a public space or warming hut.
That's correct. This has been in the works for years.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
It sounds like a great idea after they create the ability to open that pod before the Christmas holiday.  With current snow making it would be open to the public for about 8 weeks a year, Not so good.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
That's correct. This has been in the works for years.
Sounds like Coach's guess is wrong again.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
It sounds like a great idea after they create the ability to open that pod before the Christmas holiday.  With current snow making it would be open to the public for about 8 weeks a year, Not so good.
That's such good skiing over there. Not enough $$$$ in snowmaking to get it open that early?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
They don't have the pump capacity to blow whiteface and lookout at the same time.  Until that changes end of January is the earliest you can expect lookout to open.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
What I didn't get from the article was what the intended use is going to be. Is it a smoke shack? A lunch spot? An overnight on mountain cabin? What is this about?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Huh?

Ski Patrol has been using this cabin since the lookout pod opened like 10 years ago.  My guess is the dec or APA just found out and they now are asking for permission to do something already being done likely at a cost of $50 grand in paperwork.  Too much govt at its finest.
Wow. I'm a cynical asshole sometimes, but this really takes the cake.

Why not be excited about something that looks like it might be pretty cool? I think it'd be an awesome overnight cabin (like that one at Stowe), wine bar retreat, or cosy warming hut. Things like this are cool. Why get pissed off about it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I thought the article implied it was going to be a warming hut.

Edit: oops I said that 2x already in this 2 page thread.

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Why not be excited about something that looks like it might be pretty cool? I think it'd be an awesome overnight cabin (like that one at Stowe), wine bar retreat, or cosy warming hut. Things like this are cool. Why get pissed off about it?
The huts on Mansfield are all totally separate from Stowe, right? There's the stone one on the summit and the one by the quad, I forget who runs the show there though. The others are maybe Green Mountain Club or something? I remember a mandatory donation when I slept up there in summer. Worth it though.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
ml242 wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
The huts on Mansfield are all totally separate from Stowe, right? There's the stone one on the summit and the one by the quad, I forget who runs the show there though. The others are maybe Green Mountain Club or something? I remember a mandatory donation when I slept up there in summer. Worth it though.
I'm pretty sure the hut at the top of the mountain is handled by VT Parks.  My buddy is the ranger supervisor in that region.  He always complains about the reservation system.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ml242
Yeah, I knew it was available to rent. Didn't know the ownership details.

I'd love to stay up there for a night in the winter and get fresh tracks in the morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Stone Hut is run by the state. Reservations are done by Lottery   http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/stonehut.htm

I've never stayed there but have always wanted to
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
mattchuck2 wrote
I'd love to stay up there for a night in the winter and get fresh tracks in the morning.
The reservations are done by lottery.  Get you name in early, and hope that Jake Burton isn't going after the days that you are looking for.  From what I hear, he can be pretty demanding when it comes to staying at the stone hut.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I've been in this hut.  Like I said it's already in use for patrol for as long as that lift has been there which is coming up on 10 years soon.

Centerplate could spend a grand or two and have it open for a place to serve hot cocoa and cookies.  Bring in the DEC / APA approval process and a year or two and 50 grand or so later that same thing will happen.  techinaclly it would seem as if patrol should not be using it until all the public comment and environmental studies are complete.  Waste of money is an understatement.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
What I didn't get from the article was what the intended use is going to be. Is it a smoke shack? A lunch spot? An overnight on mountain cabin? What is this about?
day use only warming hut/snack bar.  It's gonna be sweet.  They'll put some insulation up this season and depending on weather a "hospitality" deck will be built.  The deck will most likely happen next season since the amendment request just came in and the temps are dropping!

I ride with Crazy Horse!