Old Forge / McCauley Mt

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Old Forge / McCaulley Mt

campgottagopee
It could be a few miles longer but you can really roll thru rte 8 making better time. Remember that the speed limit is merely a suggestion
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Z
I didn't bring it up. I like snow and that's why I don't go to WF until spring.
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
McCauley season pass holder here with a place in the area...so you know what I'd say, ski it!  The mountain may be small but they do a great job with snow making and grooming.  On race day, SkyRide is closed much of the day and I think access to Helmers is also closed off until the races are over.  My kids live for the mountain fries in the chalet and there are plenty of decent beer selections but I'd recommend Utica Club or Saranac.

Fish fry at Daikers isn't bad and convenient to where you're staying.  Also pretty good and in that area is Mountainside BBQ and Red Dog Tavern (in Inlet).  I know Great Pines underwent a big renovation but the two times we ate there this past summer was just so-so.  

For breakfast/lunch, Walt's Diner in Old Forge is a good choice.  If you're looking for specialty type coffee (latte, espresso, etc.), stop by Ozzie's.

If you have the time, catch a movie at The Strand in Old Forge or check out Old Forge Hardware aka "The Adirondacks Most General Store".  The Strand is a unique old movie theater that is worth it even if you just walk in, say hi to Bob, grab some popcorn and check out his collection of old movie stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Yeah McCauley is awesome, some of the best terrain I've ever skied on such a small hill. The trees can be pretty good with fresh snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Make certain to do Helmer's !!! There are a few other nice trails , we enjoyed it there . It is Strictly old  school , retro ,and a generally nice vibe for a one chair area . No pretenders there , just skiers .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

professor
In reply to this post by Hoser
yes- what ml242 said...I always wanted to checkout the smaller adk ski areas but never make it past Hickory, Gore, and Whiteface (my main residence is Lake Luzerne). I ski Hunter because I own a house there. I understand not wanting to go south to ski when you live in Jay and have an ORDA pass....but your already going to be at Hunter...what's "asinine" is not skiing because your afraid it will be too crowded. Hard to predict what crowds will be like in mid-feb. ,(sat. 2/18) is the start of president's week , usually not too bad. I understand the $ factor too. Don't know how difficult it is to get a comp ticket from new owners...could find you a cheap place to stay though ...might only cost a couple good beers!
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
McCauley is definitely worth skiing. Getting there from Jay? No easy way. FWIW on good roads it is usually a solid hour and fifteen minutes from Tupper.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Kudos to the NC to Speculator route and Melody Lodge recommendation for food on the way home.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by professor
professor wrote
yes- what ml242 said...I always wanted to checkout the smaller adk ski areas but never make it past Hickory, Gore, and Whiteface (my main residence is Lake Luzerne). I ski Hunter because I own a house there. I understand not wanting to go south to ski when you live in Jay and have an ORDA pass....but your already going to be at Hunter...what's "asinine" is not skiing because your afraid it will be too crowded. Hard to predict what crowds will be like in mid-feb. ,(sat. 2/18) is the start of president's week , usually not too bad. I understand the $ factor too. Don't know how difficult it is to get a comp ticket from new owners...could find you a cheap place to stay though ...might only cost a couple good beers!
For the Cats trip going to stay at Hammo's.  it was nice last year when we went to the Cats for a race.  I'm not going to pay $80 to ski maybe 4 runs on super crowded ice with a expressway's worth of drunk city folk.  I can wait and ski Bellerye the next day for free.  I'd rather go to Mountain Creek for a race over Hunter.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Coach Z wrote
For the Cats trip going to stay at Hammo's.  it was nice last year when we went to the Cats for a race.  I'm not going to pay $80 to ski maybe 4 runs on super crowded ice with a expressway's worth of drunk city folk.  I can wait and ski Bellerye the next day for free.  I'd rather go to Mountain Creek for a race over Hunter.
Now you are just being obtuse. If you think Hunter is crowded, you have not skied MC in a long time.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
true - not since the early 90's - ok not MC but just about any other place.
Reply | Threaded
|

professor
Coach how many times have you skied Hunter and how recently ?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
probably around 10-15 days almost always for PSIA events or training of some kind except for that one race. its plenty of a big enough sample size to know I really don't like that place.

last time was 2 years ago for that race which is the only time I have ever skied there on a weekend.  God knows why anyone with willing pay money to ski there on a weekend.  Plattskill is only like right around the corner.  I have a strong dislike for people skiing shitty and like two feet from me.  

I am always amazed how packed the bar is on a week day morning at Hunter so I don't want to know what that is like on a weekend.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I've been to Hunter many weekend days.  Hardly ever wait in a lift line.  I usually ride the D Lift, F Lift, or go to the west side and only ride the 6-pack early in the morning.  Can't avoid some of the crowded trails though.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Coach Z wrote
Coach, you're going to be right there....and you're going to ski Belleayre over Plattekill the day after the race??  In mid-February no less.  Geez.  

Also, I hope you teach skiing better than you're sense of direction.  MC is probably about 2 hours and 15 minutes with no traffic to Platty:

Coach Z wrote
last time was 2 years ago for that race which is the only time I have ever skied there on a weekend.  God knows why anyone with willing pay money to ski there on a weekend.  Plattskill is only like right around the corner.  I have a strong dislike for people skiing shitty and like two feet from me.  

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Marcski wrote
Coach, you're going to be right there....and you're going to ski Belleayre over Plattekill the day after the race??  In mid-February no less.  Geez.  
Yes, because he wants to watch his son's race.  Big surprise there.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Marcski
Go ski it, my wife loves the place. The runs are short but if the trees are in play or the run under the main lift is open you will have fun. Then check out the guy who runs the ski shop. He is an ex-Olympian. Skied with the best of the old generation. He has a lot of stories. Check his shop out, he has some of the best equipment in the NE. From what I hear he can make a ski run very fast.

Have a good time, it's a super cheap lift ticket.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
You bet Coach

Agree with TJ's directions as well. Def the fastest way. If you have time on your way home, and you want a special treat, stop at Melody Lodge in Speculator. The place is a total knockout http://melodylodge.com/joomla/

he said exit 26 not 29.  def best way to go.

and for once I agree with CampGeekPeaker.  Melody Lodge is a real Adirondack joint!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'll plug Melody Lodge ever chance I get. My buddies family owns the joint.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I Love the Melody Lodge Black Mtn Inn joints!  authentic, comfortable place to tie one on after some skiing!
I ride with Crazy Horse!