61 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Old Forge / McCauley Mt

Z
This post was updated on .
Headed to Old Forge for a race in a couple weeks.  What can you guys tell me about it? Never been there.

Sounds like they are about to get some lake effect which is good since I doubt they have much snow making capacity.

Is it worth planning to ski myself?  I usually prefer to ski some but won't at places like Hunter since fighting those crowds is not worth it to me on a Saturday there.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Old Forge / McCaulley Mt

Marcski
So you're equating the weekend crowds at Hunter with a small 633' hill in the central Adirondacks?  

I'd relish the opportunity to make some turns at an old school place like that.  But hey, that's me.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Z
I already know you're crazy but you should pack the skis. Place can get 65% of what snow ridge gets but with better terrain.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Marcski
I doubt that Hunter and McCaulley have little in common.  I thought it had a bit more vert than 633' but I do want to ski one day.  We are there for two SL's Saturday and Sunday.  I've heard its a nice hill for a SL race.  I'll probably ski Saturday and just watch on Sunday as once the race is over we will want to get back home as that is a NFL Conf Champs playoff day.  Does anyone know if the race finish is at the bottom of the hill?

My questions are what is the skiing like there?  Will it be crowded on a weekend like that?  Its a race for all the U14 DAK and CAT race programs so that is a couple hundred racers between boys and girls.

What about the town?  any good places to eat / drink?  We are staying at a hotel that was just refurbished big time this summer and I hear is really nice.  Great Pines on Rt 28 a bit out of town.  Supposed to have a good restaurant.

Any advice on best route to get there. I live in Jay.   Google Maps has the route thru LP and Tupper 4 miles shorter but 3 mins longer than the Route thru Newcomb.  Its been over ten years since I went either way and I don't recall if one of these is a better road than the other.

To my comments on Hunter - we have to go to a GS race on a Saturday in mid Feb at Hunter.  Last time my son raced there it was a total cluster F.  They race on Hunter One side so getting around to ski and get back is impossible but if I don't ski I think I have to walk up to the finish area.  I hate Hunter with a passion and to do a race there on a crowded weekend is bordering on asinine in my opinion.  On the positive side the last time we raced there my son was on the podium.  Then we go to Bellerye for a Sunday race so I will ski there as I have a Orda pass.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I've always enjoyed Daikers whenever I'm in Old Forge

http://www.daikers.com/index.html

good burgers and better beer
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It sounds like you hate kids racing except when your kid wins.

Hunter rules, get up the six early, ski fast laps on west side. Not hard to figure out if you're a decent skier.

Getting to One and back sucks but at the same time you have a whole separate area dedicated to kids crap I don't care about, so glass half full.

Old forge is a nice town. If the skiing sucks maybe the ice fishing will be going off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Hunter and McC have nothing in common, except they are places to ski.  The similarities end there.  Yes, ski a day or two.  Generally they are good about parent passes (was less than $30 couple years ago).  Race finish not at bottom but easy walk (bring micros).   Lodge gets busy, lifts do not.   Many places to eat in town, check TripAdvisor or just go to Slickers for Pizza and Wings - or anything else there, never a bad choice.

Not sure on best approach to Webb as I come in from the Southern direction.   Great viewing along the run.  Could also bring snowshoes to explore XC trails b/t runs on the second day.  Support the hill, agree with the comment on love these throwback areas.  Gore/WF are home, but a day or two at these places (also Snow Ridge) are great for a change.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Well said.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
 It sounds like you hate kids racing except when your kid wins.
Much like yourself and the electoral college.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Well said SB.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote

Much like yourself and the electoral college.
Electoral college sucks and isn't funny.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4558510/electoral-college-history-slavery/%3Fsource%3Ddam
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Snowballs
I am into racing big time.  The race org at Hunter is well below what I have experienced at other places.  I think West maybe does the best job of running races of where I have been excluding WF where I am biased though Dave Wynn has now moved onto GMVS but the owners are committed to racing as their own kids race so I think they will keep it up.

If you have read by TR's you see I have posted some really nice things about smaller mountains like Bristol and West after skiing there for races.  They were crowded but had real skiing character and fun runs.  I have never liked Hunter its too crowded with Joey's from Jersey 5 deep at the bar at 9 am on a Friday.  I expect I will really enjoy McCaulley as I like old school.  

I wish that Platty had a race team so we could visit there instead of Hunter or Belleyre for a change.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
campgottagopee wrote
I've always enjoyed Daikers whenever I'm in Old Forge

http://www.daikers.com/index.html

good burgers and better beer
Thanks Campy.  

We will be there on Friday night so I will have to check out their fish fry night

My guess you have been there mostly to snowmobile which is really big in that part of the daks
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
When I go down from Placid I take 87 down to exit 26 like going to gore then rt8 through speculator.  A lot of the roads have been repaved past gore.   Quickest way from placid .
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Coach Z wrote
....where I have been excluding WF where I am biased...

ya think?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You bet Coach

Agree with TJ's directions as well. Def the fastest way. If you have time on your way home, and you want a special treat, stop at Melody Lodge in Speculator. The place is a total knockout http://melodylodge.com/joomla/
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Coach Z wrote
....where I have been excluding WF where I am biased...

ya think?
Well when you live 10 mins from the biggest and best in NY its pretty easy to feel that way
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Coach Z wrote
Well when you live 10 mins from the biggest and best in NY its pretty easy to feel that way
I guess, but most people in that position seem to be able to somewhat rationally discuss other hills without asking if it's even worth bringing skis.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Google says that adds about 20 miles as you go about 10 miles too South and have to come back North on 28

The consensus from the other race parents seems to be to go thru Tupper as that road from North Hudson to Newcomb really sucks.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I skied at every race last year except West when it was 20 below zero and sitting in the warm bar at looking out the big windows and drinking seemed the way more civilized way to watch the race.

I had every intention of skiing at least one day.  Seems that no matter what I would post for example that I like snow you would say rain is better.  ML you guys lost the election and its time to leave all that shit over on the OT and move on with life.