classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Old Forge / McCaulley Mt

ml242
Coach Z wrote
probably around 10-15 days almost always for PSIA events or training of some kind except for that one race. its plenty of a big enough sample size to know I really don't like that place.

last time was 2 years ago for that race which is the only time I have ever skied there on a weekend.  God knows why anyone with willing pay money to ski there on a weekend.  Plattskill is only like right around the corner.  I have a strong dislike for people skiing shitty and like two feet from me.  

I am always amazed how packed the bar is on a week day morning at Hunter so I don't want to know what that is like on a weekend.
I see

Ski patrol > ski instructors
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
I Love the Melody Lodge Black Mtn Inn joints!  authentic, comfortable place to tie one on after some skiing!
Let me know next time you are gonna be there and I'll buy you a round

Back in the day I would bounce there on occasion. What a hoot
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Z
Go through Minerva to the four corners in North Creek. Zip up past the mountain and take a right on rt. 8.  You never get near Newcomb. Go whatever way you want but you asked for the fastest way and that's it.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Going through long lake/blue mt lake is not faster?? He is coming from the Lake Plastic area
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I know the roads in the general area quite well.  I believe 86-3-30-28 is the fastest route to Old Forge from LP.

My route from Potsdam to Whiteface is 11B-458-30-86 and my route to Gore is 56-3-30-28.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Coach Z wrote
For the Cats trip going to stay at Hammo's.  it was nice last year when we went to the Cats for a race.  I'm not going to pay $80 to ski maybe 4 runs on super crowded ice with a expressway's worth of drunk city folk.  I can wait and ski Bellerye the next day for free.  I'd rather go to Mountain Creek for a race over Hunter.
Coach, you're going to be right there....and you're going to ski Belleayre over Plattekill the day after the race??  In mid-February no less.  Geez.  

Also, I hope you teach skiing better than you're sense of direction.  MC is probably about 2 hours and 15 minutes with no traffic to Platty:

Coach Z wrote
last time was 2 years ago for that race which is the only time I have ever skied there on a weekend.  God knows why anyone with willing pay money to ski there on a weekend.  Plattskill is only like right around the corner.  I have a strong dislike for people skiing shitty and like two feet from me.  
There is two races Hunter on Saturday and Bellerye on Sunday

I was asked the last time that I was at Hunter.  Platty looks awesome and is close to Hunter.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Nope
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Coach Z wrote
Marcski wrote
Coach Z wrote
For the Cats trip going to stay at Hammo's.  it was nice last year when we went to the Cats for a race.  I'm not going to pay $80 to ski maybe 4 runs on super crowded ice with a expressway's worth of drunk city folk.  I can wait and ski Bellerye the next day for free.  I'd rather go to Mountain Creek for a race over Hunter.
Coach, you're going to be right there....and you're going to ski Belleayre over Plattekill the day after the race??  In mid-February no less.  Geez.  

Also, I hope you teach skiing better than you're sense of direction.  MC is probably about 2 hours and 15 minutes with no traffic to Platty:

Coach Z wrote
There is two races Hunter on Saturday and Bellerye on Sunday

I was asked the last time that I was at Hunter.  Platty looks awesome and is close to Hunter.
Ahhh, sorry, didn't catch that he has a race at Belle too. I thought you just going to ski Belle the day after the Huntwr race since you were down in the Cats..

You should definitely make it to Platty, Coach. It is a gem.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I think I would really like Platty.  Unfortunately since they don't have a race program I probably won't get there anytime soon.

They are pairing the races this season which helps cut down on the costs but does not allow as much time for growth between them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
As a frequent summer resident and now up there most winter weekends as well I consider myself a semi-Old Forge local.

McCauley for the size actually has some nice steep runs with lots of rocks and drop offs to play on. They also make a decent amount of snow and opened Helmers which is one of the more challenging trails last weekend with snowmaking. Olympic, Decamp, and Barkeater are also steep and are lots of fun. All three were open last weekend on natural and all had good coverage except Decamp which was a little sketchy. Not sure how much damage the rain did.

For food definitely recommend the bar at Great Pines. Good food and new owners did a great job with the place. Haven't tried the dining room there yet as it's normally booked solid days in advance on weekends. Not far down the road is the Mountainside which is s good BBQ joint with a rustic bar that's pretty cozy. Always have also enjoyed Slickers for finger foods/sandwiches (Get the French Dip) and Tony Harpers for Pizza in Old Forge but those are more of a bar atmosphere. Frankie's is good if you like Italian.

Daikers has good food but this time of year is overrun with snowmobiles and is normally packed. Same can be said for Slickers.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Kleetus

do I need to book a table ahead of time for Great Pines?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
would one of you McCauley local boys start a McCauley conditions thread please.  This year I'm coming down.  Does that Great Pines places allow dogs?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote
  Same can be said for Slickers.
Dammittttttt! Slickers! That's the other place I like. Thanks for reminding me Kleetus.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
For the Bar no. For the dining room not sure. I know this summer they were pretty booked up ahead of time but in the winter not too sure. When I was there last weekend seemed to be more of a bar crowd but not sure how busy the main dining room was.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Unfortunately I have no clue. Best bet is to prob give them a call.

I'm out of town on a business trip now through next week, but will start a McCauley conditions thread next time I ski there if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
ScottyJack wrote
would one of you McCauley local boys start a McCauley conditions thread please.  This year I'm coming down.  Does that Great Pines places allow dogs?
Their web site says no dogs in the main lodge which would mean they take them in the cabins and other rooms they offer.  The main lodge are the pricey ones.  I booked a mountain view room not in the main lodge for 127 a night.  There are probably cheaper places in OF but not much and this was recommended to me from someone that worked on the renovations as being really nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by ml242
Geez ml242, ease up on the coach man. It seems like you have an axe to grind and it's not cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
raisingarizona wrote
Geez ml242, ease up on the coach man. It seems like you have an axe to grind and it's not cool.
That's not true, I only call him out when he parrots bullshit about everything from Hunter Mountain to George Soros and in true ski snob fashion ponders if it's even worth bringing skis to a great little hill with fun terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Snowballs wrote

The summary of your many contributions to this forum.