Outback vs Forester

13 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Outback vs Forester

Outback vs Forester, Forester vs Outback:

Instead of tacking this question onto Jason's Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, thread I decided to go out on my own.

The CRV is getting to the point where rust will undermine the trade in value very soon.  Right now it LOOKS perfect, and I've found that the dealers give good money for a CRV on trade if it superficially looks good. (Last trade in was 8 years old and I got $10k for it).

So, without even driving one I'm thinking of buying my first Subaru since 1981. (Had 6 Hondas since then counting Zelda's cars). This car will be my first ever automatic (CVT). Hate to say it but it makes more sense descending on ice and driving in traffic.

This vehicle will be primarily a ski car, 90% highway miles, cargo carrier.

On paper it looks the Outback is a no-brainer vs the Forester. More cargo room, better gas mileage on a bigger car.  

What am I missing?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

Re: Outback vs Forester

Harvey44 wrote
What am I missing?
Dealer discount.
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
On paper it looks the Outback is a no-brainer vs the Forester. More cargo room, better gas mileage on a bigger car.  

What am I missing?
You ain't missin' nothin'.  Get the Outback.
Telemark Dave Telemark Dave
Reply |

Hey Harv....

Adk Jeff wrote
Harvey44 wrote

What am I missing?
You ain't missin' nothin'.  Get the Outback.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just sayin'....

We have had 2 Foresters over the years, a 1999, and a 2004, which we just traded in this summer for a 2012 Golf TDI.

To be honest, they were both good cars at the time....my wife was the primary driver, my kids were younger, and she was still in more of a mommy mode...the Subie love was very apparent in the winter.

Subie hate started not to long ago....they do not age well.  As well, the 2004 started balking at the increased ethanol content in Canadian winter gas....she was filling up the beast every week...it got about 500 km to the tank.  

My mother-in-law has had a couple of Outbacks over the years...I'm not sure of the engine differences, but for some reason, she always got better gas mileage than our Forester did. (okay, her Outback got better gas mileage...lol)

I guess what it comes down to is $...

Ya really need all-wheel drive?  

Our new T.D.I. has traction control and stability control...so far, with 4 snow tires , it is hard to tell the difference on snow packed roads between it and our Subies....and the T.D.I. gets 60 m.p.g. (Hinterlandian gallons)
And........there is just as much back seat room....throw on the ski-box, and presto, instant skiermobile.
(my oldest son is now just about 6', and he has lots of leg room in the back....)

T.D.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

I'm loving the Legacy that I bought 6 months ago.

I also love the Golf TDI. It was my first choice, just to expensive and the reliability is a bit suspect..
"Peace and Love"
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
We have had 2 Foresters over the years, a 1999, and a 2004, which we just traded in this summer for a 2012 Golf TDI.
The Forester is certainly an excellent vehicle.  But the new (as of 2010) Outback really outshines the current Forester model.  I considered a 2010 Outback when I bought my last vehicle.  It was down to the Outback or a Chevy Equinox.  I ended up with the Chevy but the Outback would have been just as good a choice.  That said, I've owned a bunch of VWs over the years and am a fan, but I doubt the Golf would work for Harv.  The Tiguan might, but I'd probably chose the Outback over the Tig.
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

Harvey, don't know if you've bought yet, but, beware of the rack on top of the new Outback - there are suddenly issues with mounting a Thule or Yakima box. The Forester and Impreza have the older factory rack system, so, no problem. I am considering a Subaru sometime in the summer, and just found out about this. They really messed this one up.

I am hearing very good things about the new Impreza with the CVT. I wouldn't have considered a CVT just a few years ago, but, I think they may have nailed it this time with two paddles for downshifting. Very much improved mileage out of the new Impreza, too.
funny like a clown
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I haven't made a move yet. Thanks for the heads up on the rack system - it's an important issue.  Been thinking about the Impreza too. It's small for the three of us with gear, but maybe able to make it work with a rack.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

That's looking more and more like my choice - an Impreza with a box. Plenty of room with three people. Still thinking of a WRX, though. If anyone has one and has a rack system, please chime in.
funny like a clown
frk frk
Reply |

i have a 2011 outback and use a thule box. i have no problem. what exactly is the potential problem?