Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Outback vs Forester

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Outback vs Forester, Forester vs Outback:

Instead of tacking this question onto Jason's Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, thread I decided to go out on my own.

The CRV is getting to the point where rust will undermine the trade in value very soon.  Right now it LOOKS perfect, and I've found that the dealers give good money for a CRV on trade if it superficially looks good. (Last trade in was 8 years old and I got $10k for it).

So, without even driving one I'm thinking of buying my first Subaru since 1981. (Had 6 Hondas since then counting Zelda's cars). This car will be my first ever automatic (CVT). Hate to say it but it makes more sense descending on ice and driving in traffic.

This vehicle will be primarily a ski car, 90% highway miles, cargo carrier.

On paper it looks the Outback is a no-brainer vs the Forester. More cargo room, better gas mileage on a bigger car.  

What am I missing?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Outback vs Forester

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey44 wrote
What am I missing?
Dealer discount.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
On paper it looks the Outback is a no-brainer vs the Forester. More cargo room, better gas mileage on a bigger car.  

What am I missing?
You ain't missin' nothin'.  Get the Outback.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Hey Harv....

Adk Jeff wrote
Harvey44 wrote

What am I missing?
You ain't missin' nothin'.  Get the Outback.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just sayin'....

We have had 2 Foresters over the years, a 1999, and a 2004, which we just traded in this summer for a 2012 Golf TDI.

To be honest, they were both good cars at the time....my wife was the primary driver, my kids were younger, and she was still in more of a mommy mode...the Subie love was very apparent in the winter.

Subie hate started not to long ago....they do not age well.  As well, the 2004 started balking at the increased ethanol content in Canadian winter gas....she was filling up the beast every week...it got about 500 km to the tank.  

My mother-in-law has had a couple of Outbacks over the years...I'm not sure of the engine differences, but for some reason, she always got better gas mileage than our Forester did. (okay, her Outback got better gas mileage...lol)

I guess what it comes down to is $...

Ya really need all-wheel drive?  

Our new T.D.I. has traction control and stability control...so far, with 4 snow tires , it is hard to tell the difference on snow packed roads between it and our Subies....and the T.D.I. gets 60 m.p.g. (Hinterlandian gallons)
And........there is just as much back seat room....throw on the ski-box, and presto, instant skiermobile.
(my oldest son is now just about 6', and he has lots of leg room in the back....)

T.D.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I'm loving the Legacy that I bought 6 months ago.

I also love the Golf TDI. It was my first choice, just to expensive and the reliability is a bit suspect..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
We have had 2 Foresters over the years, a 1999, and a 2004, which we just traded in this summer for a 2012 Golf TDI.
The Forester is certainly an excellent vehicle.  But the new (as of 2010) Outback really outshines the current Forester model.  I considered a 2010 Outback when I bought my last vehicle.  It was down to the Outback or a Chevy Equinox.  I ended up with the Chevy but the Outback would have been just as good a choice.  That said, I've owned a bunch of VWs over the years and am a fan, but I doubt the Golf would work for Harv.  The Tiguan might, but I'd probably chose the Outback over the Tig.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Harvey, don't know if you've bought yet, but, beware of the rack on top of the new Outback - there are suddenly issues with mounting a Thule or Yakima box. The Forester and Impreza have the older factory rack system, so, no problem. I am considering a Subaru sometime in the summer, and just found out about this. They really messed this one up.

I am hearing very good things about the new Impreza with the CVT. I wouldn't have considered a CVT just a few years ago, but, I think they may have nailed it this time with two paddles for downshifting. Very much improved mileage out of the new Impreza, too.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I haven't made a move yet. Thanks for the heads up on the rack system - it's an important issue.  Been thinking about the Impreza too. It's small for the three of us with gear, but maybe able to make it work with a rack.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
That's looking more and more like my choice - an Impreza with a box. Plenty of room with three people. Still thinking of a WRX, though. If anyone has one and has a rack system, please chime in.
funny like a clown
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i have a 2011 outback and use a thule box. i have no problem. what exactly is the potential problem?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
frk wrote
i have a 2011 outback and use a thule box. i have no problem. what exactly is the potential problem?

http://www.gear.com/2010-subaru-outback-roof-rails-should-i-say-roof-rack-fails/

I would much prefer using a full Thule or Yakima system, as I have for fifteen years. I would expect this from, oh, GM, but, not Subaru of all people.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Can't go wrong w/either one...both great cars.

One thing you may find in the Outback is less road noise...their insulating qualities are higher/better  in the Outback vs. the Forester.

CVT has been around a loooooong time so don't let that scare you. Good luck!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Subaru Impreza wins 2012 MotorWeek Drivers’ Choice Award for Best Compact Car

February 8, 2012- Chicago, IL--Subaru of America, Inc. was awarded the 2012 MotorWeek Drivers’ Choice Award for Best Compact Car at the 2012 Chicago Auto Show.

The award comes on the heels of strong sales results from Subaru. The brand set a sales record in 2011 and has started 2012 with sales up 21% over the previous year.

“It is an honor to receive the award for best compact car from MotorWeek,” Thomas J. Doll, executive vice president and COO, Subaru of America, Inc. “We are very excited about the all-new Impreza and we feel it is a game-changer for Subaru in the compact segment. In fact, Impreza sales in January were up 175-percent. We are pleased to bring our customers a car that packages safety, fun and function.”
All new for 2012, the Subaru Impreza is equipped as standard with Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. Powered by a 148-hp 2.0-liter Boxer engine, the 2012 Impreza comes with a choice of a five-speed manual transmission or the enhanced, second-generation Lineartronic® CVT (continuously variable transmission). The 2012 Impreza offers the highest fuel economy of any all-wheel drive car in America, with EPA ratings of 27 mpg city and 36 mpg highway for models with the CVT.

"With its 2012 re-design, we think the Subaru Impreza is primed for prime time," said John Davis, MotorWeek host. "No other compact comes close to the Impreza’s mix of standard all-wheel-drive, upscale interior, and near bargain pricing. Add in a fun-to-drive steering feel, plus a big jump in fuel economy, and you’ve got a four-season winner."

You make a purchase yet Harv???