1 ... 9101112131415 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNW Conditions

nepa
This post was updated on .
Harvey wrote
When you're in you're in, when you're out you're out.

Have fun!
Yes indeed!  We have been blessed with a 10 day cycle that could blossom even further.  We could be at our seasonal peak in terms of cold snow.

Headed to Revelstoke and Kickinghorse next week... I hear it's been good up there this season.  

4 days split between RMR and KMR.  I'll be 15 years older than the next oldest in the group... it's going to be interesting to see where my fitness level and risk tolerance align with a bunch of 20 somethings.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Terrible day at Bachelor on Friday....

2 Tree Well Deaths a Mt Bachelor
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Was hoping we’d have seen an update from the professor by now.

It’s been a rough couple weeks in the backcountry (skiing/snowshoeing/sledding) out there.  Hope things are settling down.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

professor
   Sorry no trip report yet...returned from western trip on March 12 just in time for last Nor'easter...unpacked the Jeep (yes we drove to Washington) repacked the Jeep and headed to my Catskill home (no internet). I've been enjoying some of the best Hunter and Catskill sidecountry/backcountry skiing in years ever since. I don't think I've ever done a trip report but I plan on doing one...hope there isn't a statue of limitations on trip reports. I know this is a conditions tread so I'll submit a brief summary ...skied 15 days in a row , 7 different mountains in 5 states ! Copper, Steamboat, Solitude, Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Alpental, and the last 5 days at Crystal. JTG your assessment of Crystal was very accurate, it's an amazing mountain. While the snow pack seemed deep it was probably about average for the first week of March in the PNW. It snowed 12"the day and night we arrived so our first day was a powder day but poor visibility made it a challenge. The next two days were beautiful bluebird days and we started hiking to all the terrain we couldn't see the first day. All the north facing bowls and chutes had quality deep mostly untracked pow. South facing slopes not so good ! Fortunately a large percent of there terrain faces north. Here's something we don't often consider when judging a ski area and maybe we just got lucky but the locals were the nicest people. That first bluebird day a local took us under his wing and showed us around on a powder day. So much for no friends on a powder day. Said he didn't like skiing alone and that sunny days with dry snow were pretty rare in the PNW. Fourth day the upper lifts were on wind hold and it was snowing hard and wet at lower elevation. Day 5 the sound of blasting for avy control woke us up for another sunny powder day. Another positive aspect of Crystal is the elevation (7'000ft.) is much easier for hiking. I guess this almost qualifies as a trip report but I still have to do one to post photos .The view from the top of Crystal is incredible!!
Reply | Threaded
|

professor
  Fat map was great and very helpful too.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!

I love the sound of waking up to explosives!  Glad you got some great conditions.....along with some typical low elevation wet and strong March sun.  You’ll have to tell me stories about your favorite lines and the Snorting Elk when you have the time.  I miss Crystal!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by professor
Damn, professor! Can't wait for the report. Hopefully it will motivate me to do a similar trip next year with the IKON pass.

Did you use AirB&B's? Hotels? Sleep in the Jeep? I want to hear the details of this epic trip!
Reply | Threaded
|

professor
  This year it was the max pass tour...next year hopefully the IKON tour...wish Crystal and Solitude were still included. Two great mountains I probably wouldn't have skied if they weren't on the max pass. Day tickets (window prices) were very reasonable at both mountains by the way, under $100.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Still some Pow out in the PNW...

Earning turns at Stevens today

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Yo Nepa, I'm attending nursing school starting this August and will be busy with that for the next two years but after that it looks like I might be moving up to your neck of the woods. It's still too early to tell but my kids Mom and her husband are looking into options and my lady wants to go so the pressure is on I guess. My gf is from Washington and all of her family is there. My daughters Moms husband is looking at a job out of Wenatchee so somewhere around there would be what we are looking at.

I sure would like to have some better lift served skiing options than what we have here.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
raisingarizona wrote
Yo Nepa, I'm attending nursing school starting this August and will be busy with that for the next two years but after that it looks like I might be moving up to your neck of the woods. It's still too early to tell but my kids Mom and her husband are looking into options and my lady wants to go so the pressure is on I guess. My gf is from Washington and all of her family is there. My daughters Moms husband is looking at a job out of Wenatchee so somewhere around there would be what we are looking at.

I sure would like to have some better lift served skiing options than what we have here.
Hey RA.

Been disconnected for several months.  The internet was (and perhaps still is) driving me crazy...

PM me if you're in the PNW.  I've got lots to show you if you're interested.

My old lady just got me a new toy.... opened up a lot of good terrain in my backyard

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
my buddy has been pressuring to buy a gravel grinder..how do she like?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JasonWx wrote
my buddy has been pressuring to buy a gravel grinder..how do she like?
I sold my ultra-lite skinny rig (23mm of rubber on aero wheels) and replaced it with this.

I can't say enough good things about it... It's a pretty simple build, not too much to maintain, or configure.  It's super-stiff so it climbs efficiently, and with the Laufe fork, descents are smooth, and predictable.  There's clearance for both 650b and 700c wheels, so I put skinny slicks on it if I am going to ride primarily on pavement.

I crashed pretty bad back in May on my MTB (tomahawk faceplant that resulted in a broken nose, some painful dental work, and a severe concussion).  It's made me re-evaluate my approach to riding single-track.  This bike get's me out there without as much risk of bodily injury.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
"how do she like" wtf was I on when i wrote that..

It sounds like something I might look at ..you can't have too many bikes

Sorry to hear about the crash..

I am a crash aholic on my MTB..
I'm 55 and started to really get  into riding park..

That said, anything more then xc ride , i wear a chest protector and full face helmet..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
I bought a gravel bike for rehab after my hip replacement to get me back on the mtb. I really enjoy it and split my time 50/50.
Sunday we did a 40 mi /4 brewery tour with about 5 mi of road connectors right out of my front door
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by nepa
Pictures please.  You cant tell us things like that and then not show.  
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
tjf1967 wrote
Pictures please.  You cant tell us things like that and then not show.
Sick bastard.

Make them hi res, Nepa.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Preseason Pow Daze up high on Ray-Ray
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by nepa