Peak Resorts to Acquire Hunter Mountain $35M+

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
113 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Peak Resorts to Acquire Hunter Mountain $35M+

snoloco
What are you so pissed about?  You never ski there anyway.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Being a southern skier, I think I better chime in.     I must say I am on Zs side here.    While I enjoy Hunter, (more than Windem) I would take Gore, WF, Stowe, MRG, Snow etc over said hill.    I like Hunta because it is only 5 hours North for me as opposed to 8.   I can do a 2 day trip or hit it on the way up or back from the aforementioned.   I also have done training up there.     Nice bumps, good man-made snow cover and nice vibe on weekdays.    

That is it.     Were I living in ADK, I would not be driving south to hit the Hunta unless I was meeting some friends or doing some training.    

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
What are you so pissed about?  You never ski there anyway.
ROFLOL
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Under normal circumstances yea, you wouldn't drive south of the ADK's to ski in the Cats but there are storms, I think certain Nor-East type dumps that will put several feet in the Cats and miss the ADK's almost entirely. A dump like that at Plattekill shouldn't be missed for any serious NY skier.

It's sort of like saying that people that live 5 hours to the north in the San Jauns should come visit Flagstaff for the skiing. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless it's real good and you have some other plans like hiking the Canyon or riding in Sedona. But, during the winter of 04/05 we had people from whistler visiting here to ski because we had it and they didn't.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
And Roxbury gets lake effect snow. Last year hunter got predicted 3 inches I went to Platty and it snowed all day about a foot.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
I'm ambivalent about hunter, never loved it, however I am always sad to see an indy join the big corporations, especially one like Hunter that can survive a bad weather year.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
This post was updated on .
PASS UPGRADES AVAILABLE STARTING AT $299

Peak Resorts Announces Nor’Easter Season Passes Now Valid at Hunter Mountain, Pass Upgrades Available Starting at $299

Wildwood, MO (Dec. 14, 2015) – As a continuing effort to add value to its season passholders, Peak Resorts announced that all Nor’easter Season Passes will be welcomed at its newest acquisition Hunter Mountain, for the 2015/2016 winter season. In addition, Hunter Mountain Gold Season Passholders will be able to upgrade their pass to the unlimited Peak Resorts Nor’easter Season Pass starting at $299.
Scotty
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
How can anyone take a ski resort corporation based in MO seriously?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I have a much harder time taking Powdr seriously, missing the deadline on the sweetheart lease at their flagship property. If forced to choose, who would you invest in?

I could care less where HQ is.

Peak seems to have carved out an area with less competition.  Their latest acquisition, Hunter, is a apparently a gold mine.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Yeah, sometimes, the kids just want to cash in. Old story. At least they're getting out when the getting is good. That place seems to be a money machine. Well, not, today, but, you know, maybe, January. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall for northeast skiing.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
How can anyone take a ski resort corporation based in MO seriously?
maybe MO is new the DE and it's a tax thing. You know, capitalism and all.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
No these shmucks that bought Hunter started in MO but now that they grown out of the Midwest if they want to be taken seriously in the ski biz they need to change thier byline on their PR to somewhere there is mountains.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
That's silly Z.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Yeah, sometimes, the kids just want to cash in. Old story. At least they're getting out when the getting is good. That place seems to be a money machine. Well, not, today, but, you know, maybe, January. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall for northeast skiing.
If the writing was on the wall for eastern skiing, then Peak Resorts would not have bought it.  All you ever speak of is gloom and doom, like saying that you think eastern skiing is going away.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
snoloco wrote
 eastern skiing is going away.
Needs to get here before it can go away
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Benny Profane wrote
If the writing was on the wall for eastern skiing, then Peak Resorts would not have bought it.  All you ever speak of is gloom and doom, like saying that you think eastern skiing is going away.

You take me too literally, young man, but, I tell ya, if Xmas just flies by with this amount of snow, or, even less, as it seems to be setting up, expect a few more hill bankruptcies soon.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote

You take me too literally, young man, but, I tell ya, if Xmas just flies by with this amount of snow, or, even less, as it seems to be setting up, expect a few more hill bankruptcies soon.
I'm guessing there may be some truth to this. Wonder what % of profit comes from Xmas and NYE weeks. I remember working at Smuggs during these weeks and it was just wide open, full on bell-to-bell for these next two weeks. Sadly, it's not going to happen this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Sadly a lot of people have non refundable hotels and might have bought lift tickets online..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think the Christmas week is something insane like 25% of total ski revenue.

snoloco wrote
If the writing was on the wall for eastern skiing, then Peak Resorts would not have bought it.
If Peak Resorts has the inside scoop on the climate, they should come clean and tell us.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
I think the Christmas week is something insane like 25% of total ski revenue.

That is insane.

It shouldn't be enough to BK a place unless it's already sinking, so to speak.