Places to stay near Gore?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Places to stay near Gore?

jimvdak
Does anyone know of a cheap hotel/motel to stay just for a weekend near Gore? I want to go up Late February (yes, I plan ahead) and I'm just looking to do one night...can't afford much, but I also dont want to do 8+ hours of driving in a day..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Places to stay near Gore?

JasonWx
lake george ..many options  
"Peace and Love"
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
In reply to this post by jimvdak
I would recommend that you stay at one of the hotels in North Creek if they agree with your budget.  I rented in Lake George for a season and found that the town was dead at night.  It was hard to find a restaurant or anything to do.  North Creek is a fun little village with several restaurants and bars to enjoy.  It's much more alive during the winter than  LG.  LG is so dead that even McDonald's closes down for the winter season.

The other benefit to staying in North Creek is that you won't have to do the morning drive from Lake George.  If it's snowing, you can expect the drive to take 45 minutes or more... especially if you're stuck behind a logging truck or plow.  
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
So Kid, are you gonna pull the trigger and do it ?
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
I stayed at the Best Western in downtown LP last January and it was reasonably priced..think we paid 120/night..sure, it was a tad run-down and the sliding doors froze shut overnight, but our view was amazing and it was pretty awesome to walk across the street and skate on the olympic oval every night..i would go back again this year, but i really want to ski Gore this year from all the great things i've heard on the blog..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Check out The Black Mountain 518-251-2800. Good lodging great food great prices. 5 minutes to North Creek or in the lodge at Gore.
Gotta go to know
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Black Mountain really does have excellent food and drinks.  
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Food and drinks ARE a good selling point for me :-) thanks for the suggestion!
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
If it's snowing, you can expect the drive to take 45 minutes or more... especially if you're stuck behind a logging truck or plow.
Let's hope so, the former represents the second, (formerly the first) primary economic driver of the North Country and the latter is what we do before we do what we do best, ride up and slide down.

Ski you later.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
jimvdak wrote
Food and drinks ARE a good selling point for me :-) thanks for the suggestion!

Well, stay in Saratoga Springs. Cheap motels to not so cheap hotels, PLENTY of food and drink. Just set the alarm for 6am, and one hour drive to Gore.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by 70s Gore Kid
70s Gore Kid wrote
Guess what?  The Sagamore is now closed for the winter, as of last year.  They said not enough winter guests, outside of Christmas.  That's sad.
Sagamore has always been "closed" to one extent or another in winter for years. I can't remember a winter when they opened more than the main hotel which is ~ 1/3 of total rooms.  They started experimenting with complete closing in the mid-90s. It just makes sense. The cost of promoting/selling those rooms in the NY metro is the same winter or summer but the room prices are MUCH lower in the winter. Really hard to make it pay, and that place costs a bundle to heat.

I agree - if at all possible - stay in North Creek.  Your room night means a LOT in North Creek. Plus - driving from the Black Mtn to the hill is a cake walk.  Stay in Lake George or Saratoga to save how much? Plus if you ski two days, you've got the extra cost of gas.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
What's your rec in North Creek, Harv, for someone who is looking at middle of the road pricing?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Well, ski, shower, eat, pass gas, drink a few, pass more gas, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Wake up. Repeat.

Sound about right ?

OH, forgot bumpin uglies.

So stay local, more time to bump uglies.

Who doesn't like tearin it up in a hotel ?
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Snowballs wrote
OH, forgot bumpin uglies.

So stay local, more time to bump uglies.

Who doesn't like tearin it up in a hotel ?
Funny thing, we hosted a swingers party at the hotel last weekend.

http://www.satinsheetdreams.com/our-events/halloween2011.asp

One of our operations managers was inspecting rooms after everyone checked out and the house keepers cleaned them. He found two vibrators and some anal beads in the drawer. The lady called yesterday looking for them.

"Hey Ted, we need you to get a bag of dildos from the fifth floor"
Obviously I had to turn one on before handing them over to the front desk girls.
And I swept a condom out of the stairwell today.

hmm, I think this is slightly off-topic...

My vote goes to the Black Mountain lodge, too!

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Hehehe. ^^^^^

People get all " Woo Hoo! " in hotels.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
What's your rec in North Creek, Harv, for someone who is looking at middle of the road pricing?
Benny  - I know I shot my mouth off in this thread, but I'm not the best person to answer the question.  Since we built our cabin in 2002 I haven't paid for a room in town.   I never really knew about the Black Mountain then, and haven't stayed there, but had a good, solid meal there once. Nothing fancy, but good food at a reasonable price.  They don't have a website (that I could find) but trip advisor lists room rates at $79.  (That could be an off season rate.)

There are some B&Bs in North Creek, North River, and Chestertown, but I don't have experience with those either. Anyone stay at Goose Pond or Cedarwood Inn?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

BigDogMom
My neighbors own the Downtowner in Saratoga  http://www.saratogadowntowner.com/.  The hotel is right in the heart of the city, has affordable winter rates, and the people who run the place are super nice.  
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
What about the Inn on Gore Mountain?  I don't know anything about it, but it's right next to the access road and has a restaurant.  Their website says that the winter rates are $85/night.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by BigDogMom
BigDogMom wrote
My neighbors own the Downtowner in Saratoga  http://www.saratogadowntowner.com/.  The hotel is right in the heart of the city, has affordable winter rates, and the people who run the place are super nice.

Yeah, an awesome location. I forgot about this place. Right smack dab in the middle of a walkable downtown. The best coffee place right across the street, Uncommon Grounds. Good price.
funny like a clown