25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rent Platty for a Day --$2500

Petronio
Article:  http://plattekill.com/bring-a-group/rent-the-mountain

Mountain link:  http://plattekill.com/bring-a-group/rent-the-mountain

I could think of a few scenarios where this makes sense . . . a high school event . . . sweet sixteen . . . big family reunion.  Of course, has to be during the week (no Fridays, weekends or holidays), which probably means missing school/work, which is difficult for some.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rent Platty for a Day --$2500

Chris
Late spring Wednesday, a  "Hump Day"

Nude Hump Day-Bump Day mogul contest.  

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I have suggested that NYSB do this and offered to organize it, yet no one wanted to go.  The response was always "oh just go on a Friday" and I was made fun of for even suggesting it.If anyone has changed their mind, let me know.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Once I'm done with school in a few years Sno I will totally be in.

Ideally it could line up with a storm and be reserved sort of last minute or just a few days in advance though. I'm not sure that would fly so well with them. I would fly back east for that sort of thing.

I think a small number of say 10 or so would be cool. It would definitely be worth it, especially on a storm day with instant refills! I would even be down if it were spring skiing and corn and a few more heads to lessen the cost for each person.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
It's not like I'm ignoring the idea sno.

You need 50 people at $50 to break even. The greatest number of people I could ever get to come out on a weekday (Friday) was 15.  I wish I could do better, I sincerely do.  It makes the most sense for me (personally/financially) to stick to a regular Friday or Sat for my efforts.  I can't afford to cover the difference.

After you commit, you are committed.

If you'd pony up the $2500 and cover any potential shortfall we'd promote it.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by snoloco
Sno, it's not a bad idea. Go ahead and try to organize it. You're gonna find that most of the grown ups here have jobs and, while we can take a day off once in a while, getting enough people to rearrange their schedules to be able to show up midweek will be extremely difficult. If somebody made fun of you and said to just go on a Friday, it's probably because you seem to need some kind of special event to justify showing up at Plattekill. If you would listen to your elders and go try the place out on a Friday, you'd see that you're able to ski right back on the lift all day long. Even on a Saturday, you almost don't have to stand on line. And more importantly, the terrain is way less crowded and better then what you're used to. A normal day at Platty is awesome. You shouldn't need a special reason to give it a chance.
That being said, if I hit the lotto, I will rent the mountain midweek and you're welcome to glom on. By then you'll probably have a job and won't be able to just take off whenever you want though.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
I feel like if it's an official event, we would get more of a turnout.  For people that ski Plattekill a lot, whether they go on a Friday, or any other operating day is not significant.  However, if it's an exclusive NYSB event, it might be more special and get more to turn out.You announce that you're buying free beers for everyone like only a week before it happens.  I'd announce a rental day months out, so people would have more time to get days off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
I feel like if it's an official event, we would get more of a turnout.  For people that ski Plattekill a lot, whether they go on a Friday, or any other operating day is not significant.  However, if it's an exclusive NYSB event, it might be more special and get more to turn out.You announce that you're buying free beers for everyone like only a week before it happens.  I'd announce a rental day months out, so people would have more time to get days off.
If you are talking months out, it's time to announce it.  We'll make it official, I just can't bankroll it myself.

My announcement: I am buying beers for any day ticket holders on my birthday, Sunday Jan 8.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
See, being in college and not anywhere near there means that I won't be able to get there except during breaks.  I would have to know before now to do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
So Sno wants to organize this but, he's never skied there before.  That sounds about right.  I'm in.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gaper do you ski Plattekill?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
I have before yes
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Will you come on a Sunday Jan 8 if I buy you a beer?

This year I have added incentive, I'm trying to beat snoloco's gig.  Dueling Plattys!

Get that date out there sno!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Brownski
Well this makes has me thinking that it probably wouldn't be worth the extra coin unless it was a huge dump. I can be in Silverton in 5.5 hours driving from here and set up reservations while watching the radar.

You guys wouldn't believe the Silverton experience with one or two heli drops during the guided season on a Thursday after 40+ inches. It's one of the coolest ski experiences in the lower 48 imho.

I still want to get back and I will, I have family I need to visit but the Friday ski day is probably more likely.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
Too bad we couldn't rent it with alternate dates or rent it for a midweek powder days whenever it falls.  That might be possible on Jan 8.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gaper Rog wrote
Too bad we couldn't rent it with alternate dates or rent it for a midweek powder days whenever it falls.  That might be possible on Jan 8.
Like anything else it's a trade off. The cheap price, like a season's pass, is for the upfront commitment.  If there is a mid-week powder day Plattekill opens anyway and will invariable take in more than $2500.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Gaper Rog
Gaper Rog wrote
So Sno wants to organize this but, he's never skied there before.  That sounds about right.  I'm in.
Um, actually I have skied there before, but it was a long time ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Well this makes has me thinking that it probably wouldn't be worth the extra coin unless it was a huge dump. I can be in Silverton in 5.5 hours driving from here and set up reservations while watching the radar.

You guys wouldn't believe the Silverton experience with one or two heli drops during the guided season on a Thursday after 40+ inches. It's one of the coolest ski experiences in the lower 48 imho.

I still want to get back and I will, I have family I need to visit but the Friday ski day is probably more likely.

Platty with 40" is pretty good.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I know! Well, I can't say I've been there on a 40 inch day but I can imagine. I have skied there with awesome bottomless in the woods and soft bumps on the trails. I love that place.

So what are your guys best days there? Some of the Nor-easters must deliver for there eh?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
Do you think they would let you rent it out with an alternate date or two?

The problem is if you just go there normally you don't wait in line anyways.  Cheaper to just buy a lift ticket.