classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
176 messages Options
1 ... 6789
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retirement Dreams

JasonWx
it is perty up there.. I heard there is great Lake Trout fishing in the fingers...
Also love the Farmers Market in Ithaca.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Trout fishing here is a well kept, or not so well kept secret here in the Finger Lakes Region. I could go on and on about all the trout fishing I did growing up as a kid. One of my goals in retirement is to get back into fly fishing for brookies. Gridley Creek starts right behind my house --- there's a rumor there might be some brookies in there.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by JasonWx
10+ years ago when we did the HLL thing CNY retirement was a consideration, but that was when it still snowed there... now not so sure.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I hear ya on that. We still (as you know) get snow but it's the damn thaws that get ya. I figure when retired I'll just ski/ride when there's snow and when it's thaw time I'll lay around the shanty and keep the fire going. Small game hunting is wicked good around here as well and at that time I'll be able to get back into hunting with a dog. Dogs don't care if it's raining as long as they're hunting.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
 I also got electrocuted by the McRibs’ marinator but that’s a whole different story that might require illustrations.
Ah - that explains a lot
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Agree , were we to move from the River , Q Bury would be the place . It also triangulates our adult children in Manhattan and Boston metro west region Littleton  
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Brownski wrote
 I also got electrocuted by the McRibs’ marinator but that’s a whole different story that might require illustrations.
Ah - that explains a lot
I wish. It goes way farther back then that bro
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by warp daddy
Queensbury area is nice. I think if I stay in NY that would be a good spot for the reasons you cite. Maybe Fort Anne or Whitehall though, best Bigfoot hunting in NYS round there
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
   Also we don't have near the public land that the blue lines do.
That's one thing I like about where I am and one reason we plan to stay here. We're right next door to nearly 10,000 acres of state land and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Can ride sled, atv, horse, whatever right from the back/front door. Finger Lakes Trail right across the street. 1 mile from DH skiing and MB, groomed XC skiing trails, oh and I can ride my Ranger to the gun club for $2 cans
What state land camper?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Queensbury is a very nice area. When my grandfather passed my grandmother decided to come down off 11th mountain and moved to Queesbury. She seems to like it a lot there ----- you don't have to drive a gazillion miles to go to the store.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Cunningstunts wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
   Also we don't have near the public land that the blue lines do.
That's one thing I like about where I am and one reason we plan to stay here. We're right next door to nearly 10,000 acres of state land and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Can ride sled, atv, horse, whatever right from the back/front door. Finger Lakes Trail right across the street. 1 mile from DH skiing and MB, groomed XC skiing trails, oh and I can ride my Ranger to the gun club for $2 cans
What state land camper?
We're  in a triangle of Tuller Hill, James Kennedy, and Hoxie Gorge state forest. Hiking, hunting and fishing all over the place.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Some nice xc skiing in Kennedy criss-xing the sled trails!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yepper!! ^^^

Gorgo --- you and snowbunski ever hike the virgil mountain loop?

https://www.cnyhiking.com/VirgilMountainLoop.htm

think you guys would enjoy it if you haven't
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Nice - biggest state land I have nearby is Letchworth and there is a section of the Finger Lakes trail through there that is open to biking too.  I almost never go there though.  I don't know why, it's a really nice park.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Letchworth is killer --- Grand Canyon of the east
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
My wife and I graduated Geneseo, so we are familiar with Letchworth.  It’s gorgeous.  Took the kids there to visit the Grand Canyon of the East when my daughter looked at Geneseo a couple years ago.  We are headed back up there a week from Friday for my son to visit.

We visited the Grand Canyon of the Adirondacks when my son visited Plattsburgh this summer!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
1 ... 6789