Retirement Dreams

176 messages Options
1234 ... 18
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Retirement Dreams

Some of us are old, some not so much.

I don't care who you are, have you thought about what you would do in retirement?  Lately I'm pushing 60 and I think about it a lot. I got some ideas, may have to sell the Mrs on them.

What do you want to do with your time?

Do you ever think about it? What do you think about? If you are already retired, how is it working out?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Thehof Thehof
Reply |

Re: Retirement Dreams

If all goes well in 2 years 5 months 15 days 7  hours we will retire and move to our low taxed weekend home in the Poconos. Yeah I think about it. I won't stop working fully. Just need a low low pressure job with no stress.
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Some of us are old, some not.

I don't care who you are, have you thought about what you would do in retirement?  Lately I'm pushing 60 and I think about it a lot. I got some ideas, may have to sell the Mrs on them.

Do you ever think about it? What do you think about? If you are already retired, how is it working out?
Buy a house in dacks near good paddling, biking and skiing.  And build a RV or van to travel when the dacks suck.  Arizona looks like a sweet place to visit during mud season(s).

Being near a hospital is good too when you're a geezer.  That's why I like the Saranac Lake area.
nepa nepa
Reply |

Been out of my desk job for about 2 years now.  I'm not sure I'd call it retirement.  I disliked my work intensely.  As soon as we had no bills left to pay, I tendered my resignation ending a 20+ year career in IT.  I have no children.  Over the past couple of decades, I've been a lucky investor.  At this point, I don't think I'll need to work for a paycheck again. Volunteer work has become my job, as I have placed more focus on making meaningful impacts in my community, as opposed to growing my pile of cash.

It's been an interesting change of pace. It's had a healing effect on my marriage.  My wife still works, but she loves her job.  In addition, it also provides us with healthcare benefits.  Healthcare is the missing link for many who want to retire early.  Even with a clean bill of health, you still pay a fortune to protect yourself from physical liabilities.  2 hospital visits last year would have been quite costly without the health coverage provided by my wife's job.  I do what ever I can to help her out.  I'm basically her personal assistant.         

I get out in the mountains almost everyday.  It's been a double edged sword.  I have sustained several injuries over the past 2 years.  Prior to my quasi-retirement, I could count my injuries over the past 30 years on 1 hand.  My wife  correlates it with spending more time in high-risk activity mode.  To be honest, I'm not sure.  The crashes have really crept up on me.  My tolerance for blunt trauma is not what it used to be.  My body has quite resilient, and I still have a blast, but my perception of the risk-reward relationship has been significantly impacted.

Before, I was always in a rush.  Time was always wasting, and if I didn't move fast, I might miss out on something good.
Now, I take everything much slower.  At the end of the day, when you're not tied to a job, there's always free-time to try again tomorrow.

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

That's a great thoughtful response nepa.

I have this idea that maybe a bit crazy, but it has been my dream for several years.

I want to move to the mountains.  My wife isn't so sure. She's not dead set against it, but she just isn't sure it is for her. If, when the time comes (5-6 years) she is against it, we'll find a small place in Warren or Saratoga county and keep our cabin in the mountains. If she decides she in for it, we'll build a house on our property and live there.

In winter I want to chase snow in NY and VT.  I want to ski every area in NY and my favorites in VT. I want to be a regular at places like Oak, Royal, McCauley and Snow Ridge.  I want to publish as much as I can and take NYSB to the next level.  I want to road trip to Western and Central NY when it makes sense and get to know those areas and develop relationships there.  In the summer I want to hike and ride and paddle and fish in the Adirondacks and Catskills.  I want to ski over 100 days a year and nordic ski every day there is cover.

I hope my mind and body are still there for me, so I can make it happen.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

I am assuming my body won't still be there when I retire. At least, not at my current level in intensity.

Since the grass is always greener, I imagine myself wanting to move back to a city when I retire. Have a better sense of community, more social things to do, more (way more) cultural things to do, and be nearer to a major hospital that I could trust with a severe issue. Living in the mountains is fine when you can experience them to your full potential. But there are other things I'd rather be doing than enjoying the silence and mountain view from my patio until I kick the bucket. It is extremely isolating (some may disagree but that is my experience).

I still envision skiing but I can drive. Maybe I'll treat myself to an overnight stay on the mountain instead of weekend warrioring a round trip 2+ hour drive twice in a weekend. But I'll save it for midweeks and only when the snow is good.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

That sounds really awesome Harv.

I’m probably F-d for retiring but I see myself doing lots of hiking and maybe backpacking when I’m old. I like the simplicity of just walking and I won’t be as fired up on the higher risk activities, I’m already starting to move away from that sort of thing. Shoot, I’ve had nightmares lately about tree strikes.
ScottyJack ScottyJack
Reply |

Re: Retirement Dream

In Retirement I’m hoping for diverse emersion experiences. Month plus long experiences.  

A late august through early september trek through the Gates of the Artic National Wildlife refuge. Watch the tundra light up with that amazing crimison blood red autum glow.  Witness a wolf pack take down a caribou, brown bears fattening up for winter...

An ocean voyage through the south pacific as a volunteer on a research ship.  Tracking whales and sharks

Road trip through the heart of the plains Indian former lands.  See the greasy grass river, Paha Sapa and bury my heart at wounded knee.

Follow in the footsteps of my grandfather and land on Iwo Jima.  

Tour all our national parks.  Work as a volunteer for a season - winter, spring, summer and fall.

Spend a winter in the eastern serrias

See a symphony in Vienna, eat Swiss chocolate after a powder day in the alps

Bike Ride tour in europe hopefully on sections of the tour de france course and the band of brothers tour

Plant lots of native plants

Do a museum tour of the worlds most significant museums.  

Spend a summer living in a tree house in a redwood tree along the northern california coast

Photograph nature and publish a cultural changing book.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Harvey wrote
What do you want to do with your time?

1. Ski, bike & hike, at diminishing intensity levels. Golf.
2. Yes
3. Location, mostly. And healthcare, as nepa mentions.
4. N/A

I think about location a lot because I'm trying to find a place with a simple life that doesn't cost a ton, but still allows me to do those things I mentioned easily. I'd like to be able to access biking & skiing out my front door and have a short commute to a cheap golf course. I'd also like a grocery store (preferably in walking or easy biking distance), maybe a college for culture, and other interesting towns within easy day trip distance.

The East is good for those thing (and for prices). Saranac Lake is kinda great actually. Grocery Stores, MTB & skiing at Pisgah & Dewey, tons of adventure opportunities outside the city limits and a little further out, decent hospital, etc. Someplace like Middlebury, VT would be nice. I was thinking about Camden, Maine, too, which is a nice town and adds the appeal of the ocean.

I'm just not sure that the east will have much snow in the future. I don't know if I can deal with too many more winters where my favorite mountains get less than 50" of snow.

North Lake Tahoe is nice. Whitefish, Montana or Sandpoint, Idaho look good. Nepa has a good spot. Hood River, Oregon looks interesting.

Unless I win the lottery. Then I'll retire tomorrow & live all over the world.
marznc marznc
Reply |

MC2 5678F589 wrote

North Lake Tahoe is nice. Whitefish, Montana or Sandpoint, Idaho look good. Nepa has a good spot. Hood River, Oregon looks interesting.

Unless I win the lottery. Then I'll retire tomorrow & live all over the world.
Take a look at Bend, Oregon.  There are plenty of reasons that Sun River has been a successful 4-season resort for decades.  Bachelor is a 20-min drive and Mt. Hood is close enough that day trips are possible.  Had a great time checking out the area last May.  Definitely want to go back.
1234 ... 18