Riding with a Helmet

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
93 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Riding with a Helmet

JasonWx
MC  I agree with you on this ...this is a personal decision.
What's good for me , might not be good for you..

peace and love.....
"Peace and Love"
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
Maybe consider wearing a helmet during lessons, MC.
Don't tell me what to do.

This is why I hate Helmet threads. They always turn into a bunch of people whining and trying to police the behavior of others through shaming and storytime.

i couldn't agree more. the only person with any right to complain is the guy who has to shovel brain parts off the trail. the rest of you should f off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
Maybe consider wearing a helmet during lessons, MC.
Don't tell me what to do.
It's right there, bro. "Maybe consider" means it's up to you. i was just screwing with you anyway. But I'm definately gonna look into the spine protector. You make a good argument there.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Freedom first. I won’t ski inbounds with the public without one. Groomer skiing scares the bejesus out of me. I will sometimes tour without one unless the snow is gonna be super sick and we are going for steep and fast stuff. It’s nice touring as light and simple as possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
nepa wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Driving a car? I don't wear a helmet
I typically drive to the mountain geared up and ready to go... driving in ski boots can be a bit risky, so I need as much protection as I can get!  Pow day at the Ridge!!
That's core AF right there, bro
There's gotta be an award for that or something.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Brownski wrote
nepa wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Driving a car? I don't wear a helmet
I typically drive to the mountain geared up and ready to go... driving in ski boots can be a bit risky, so I need as much protection as I can get!  Pow day at the Ridge!!
That's core AF right there, bro
There's gotta be an award for that or something.
Bunch of spineless bastards I tell ya! Matt, please be safe out there. Us gaper dads depend on living vicariously through your awesomeness. Hey, Gore says goggles on pole straps off through the glades...
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

ka2kci
I make a practice of never telling anyone what to do, wear, etc. unless someone asks for my opinion.  I didn't wear a helmet for years and with my recent fall, I am now a believer.  My helmet prevented a potential serious head injury which could have taken me out of skiing (and possibly a normal life) for good.  I used to tell my friends that I didn't need a helmet because I "never fall".  Well guess what... I took an unexpected fall at a slow speed and still saw stars.  The helmet is not as obtrusive as I thought is was going to be.  After about a minute of wearing one, I was comfortable with it and do not mind wearing it.  To each his own but I will be wearing a helmet every time I ski!  
Matt
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by nepa
THAT is awesome.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
helmets are not all they're cracked up to be. a branch managed to work its way in between the goggles and helmet.
my upper body stopped dead, skis continued on.

my apologies for the close up. I realize some of you are eating breakfast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
A few years ago I hit a wet gun at the bottom of Sunway at Gore. Not sure exactly how I fell, but my ski stopped dead and I ended up in a pile on my chest with my ribs hurting pretty bad. I was basically ok, but when I took my gear off I noticed the tail of one of my twin tips had hit me in the back of my head.  The divot is maybe 3/8"?

(Yeah I know I should replace my helmet).
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
(Yeah I know I should replace my helmet).
To me that looks like a potential killer, or very serious injury, if you didn't have a helmet on. And that sounds like the kind of unpredictable circumstance that worries me. In a hard fall you can't always control where you land  or where your gear goes
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
WOW Pot Kettle Black right there.  

Sorry sir,  I am very very dumb and do not understand!  

You hate these threads because you are defending the un-defendable.   Like when people defend Trump.

Just say you know it is less safe and I choose to ski that way.  Go ahead SAY IT, SAY IT!!  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
L.M.F.A.O
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Go ahead SAY IT, SAY IT!!
Given the heuristics and hubris involved.....I don’t think he’s capable!

For the record, I never told anyone what to do.  Furthermore, Natasha Richardson isn’t some story time tall tale.  Her tragic story combined with the anecdotes by members here only serve to demonstrate the benefits a helmet can provide, and why it’s such a good idea to don one every time out.

But all of us don’t, or won’t all the time, as a matter of personal choice, accepting whatever increased level of risk (even Matt’s gotta agree there is SOME) comes with that choice.

I like to think it’s better than when I put my money down on the blackjack table, but when I ski without a helmet I realize it is a gamble, with a lot more than just money.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
2 years ago was the first time I put a helmet on for skiing.  I went out west for the first time and rented one since I was not familiar with the terrain.  It was a million times more comfortable than I thought it would be.  Bought one before last season and now would feel odd without one.  When it comes to bikes, I always wear a helmet.  I think people without them look funny.

My buddy skiing in the woods caught an edge (snowboard) and slammed head first into a tree.  If you saw what his helmet looked like you would always wear one from now on too
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
tjf1967 wrote
Go ahead SAY IT, SAY IT!!
Given the heuristics and hubris involved.....I don’t think he’s capable!
Heuristics is an awesome word, bro
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I looked it up and I still don't get it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Harvey wrote
I looked it up and I still don't get it.

Geek out on this Harv.
www.snowpit.com/articles/traps%20reprint.pdf
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
D.B.Cooper wrote
About motorcycle helmet laws, a comedian once said, "if a head is functioning that poorly to begin with, it doesn't warrant protecting."

That said, I don't wear a helmet either.  I don't equate not wearing a helmet skiing with not wearing one on a motorcycle.
I get what your saying.  There is significantly higher level of risk on the road as opposed to at the mountain.  The variables associated with people piloting cars are far more complex than those associated with people piloting boards on snow.<p>

It just seems like a logical choice.  I wouldn't ride a bike without one... it seems to make sense that I shouldn't ride my skis or snowboard without one.  We have some interesting natural features in my neck of the woods.  Lots of exposed basalt.  Bomber Cliffs at Mission give a good idea of our rocks... <p>

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/85884793" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
</p>

The area is littered with basalt spires which One could easily bounce your melon off of if your not paying attention .  Even a grazing blow with a piece of exposed basalt can get ugly quick.<p>
What a fun little zone! I wish we had something like that in our inbounds lift served terrain. It's hard to go way out into isolated back country and fuck around with technical steep lines knowing that a rescue is likely going to take a real long time. It's also sometimes impossible to really scope lines before committing to them too. Touring can be complicated.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
raisingarizona wrote
What a fun little zone! I wish we had something like that in our inbounds lift served terrain. It's hard to go way out into isolated back country and fuck around with technical steep lines knowing that a rescue is likely going to take a real long time. It's also sometimes impossible to really scope lines before committing to them too. Touring can be complicated.
As the late Jim Jack used to describe it.... Mission is like a mini-golfcourse... lot's large natural features that look Big, but are actually quite forgiving with very straightforward entries and exits.  You'd have a blast up here RA.