Rock Skis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rock Skis

tjf1967
Are the really necessary anymore?  The only option is the WROD and that is always covered wall to wall.  People are still stuck in the 90's mind set.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rock Skis

Telemark Dave
Yes.

If you like to extend your season beyond the mindset of the masses.  

Photo courtesy of SBR.

T.D.

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tjf1967
Yeah, definitely useful at the end of the season. Also, the WROD isn't the ONLY option. Still places to earn turns this early. Saw a report the other day on TGR of a guy doing Left Gully at Mt. Washington. Hope he was using his rock skis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Are the really necessary anymore?  The only option is the WROD and that is always covered wall to wall.  People are still stuck in the 90's mind set.
I guess other responders didn't get you were referring to early on trail man-a-made, but I get ya. I agree with you. I used good skis this weekend and was just fine. If my new skis had come in I would have used them last weekend too...coverage was fine.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
All skis are rock skis. Nothing worse than the guy who feels he needs to check his bases in the lift line, except the one who gets bent because someone may have scratched his top sheet

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
skimore wrote

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
tjf1967 wrote
I guess other responders didn't get you were referring to early on trail man-a-made, but I get ya. I agree with you. I used good skis this weekend and was just fine. If my new skis had come in I would have used them last weekend too...coverage was fine.

Ok I'll bite...
In this context, no they are not.  

However... In my experience, the minute I put a new pair of skis on, they seem to start their metamorphosis into "rock" skis.  

Just like a new car.  Might as well give it a kick and get it over with.

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
All skis are rock skis.
Truth.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Tools, not jewels.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
SIAWOL wrote
Tools, not jewels.
Ha! U stole my line! And i agree w ski more the base checker is only topped by the top sheet douche who is only topped by the guy who buys mtn bike and freaks when it gets scratched!!!!  

Tools not jewels!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
as soon as i see that the glades are open....or think that they are open....because the red rope isnt perfectly across....mine become rock skis....
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Who has old skis.  Mine always break.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
All skis are rock skis. Nothing worse than the guy who feels he needs to check his bases in the lift line, except the one who gets bent because someone may have scratched his top sheet
I disagree. Did the jerk traverse across the top of them so he could stand by his buddies in the corral rather than..... anything else?

Don't step on my skis. Don't kick my skis. Don't wack them with your poles. Don't steal them. And for the love of AMERICA do not ask if they are powder skis!

It's not that hard!

But yeah, hitting rocks will happen.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
99% of the trashing of my skis is self-inflicted. While I am never really aware of it I must constantly bang my tips together as my Icelantics are worn to the bone in that spot.

I've never been too picky about my bases, but I now care more about waxing as my season ending injury in March 2011 in super grabby snow, probably wouldn't have happened if I had any wax on my bases.

Just got an edge, wax and stone grind yesterday. The grind was probably a waste but whatever. Looks cool.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by ml242
I get a little pissed when some jerk skis across the back of my skis.  Not cause they scratch em but  cause its a dick move.  

I have checked my base standing in the gondi line.   I could care a less about core shots( Actually I think Im bad ass) but a blown edge does bum me out for a second.  I want a double metal full camber ski right now and having a hard time pulling the trigure.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
tjf1967 wrote

I have checked my base standing in the gondi line.   I could care a less about core shots( Actually I think Im bad ass) but a blown edge does bum me out for a second.
I had the biggest core shot ever in big sky.  I made a big scene about it.  I was wicked bad ass.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
 photo E8A3F5A3-251D-410F-90EA-49BBCB9B2152-8279-000005470D209057_zpscf4dfcbb.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
People drag crappy skis and boards up to Tuckerman Ravine all the time..
I bring the good stuff.  I'd rather enjoy the mountain with my best and not worry about coming down headwall or top or hillmans and finding myself on hard snow in the shade. Or hammering through avi debris...  

I don't believe in rock boards.. Lifes too short to be on crap...
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.