Rocker

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
60 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rocker

PeeTex
The only rocker I got is on the front porch.
I guess I need an upgrade...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
You need to try it

Personally I prefer camber under foot even if I was skiing out west.  Rocker in the tip and tail is great.  It might make the ski feel shorter so you may need to go one size longer than before.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
You need to try it

Personally I prefer camber under foot even if I was skiing out west.  Rocker in the tip and tail is great.  It might make the ski feel shorter so you may need to go one size longer than before.
The skis I am getting this year have rocker on the inside and traditional on the outside (there is a left and right ski).  These are Elan skis, but I don't know the exact model.  Maybe you know what the true benefit to this setup is.  I am borderline 168-176, so I guess it is a good thing that I went with the 176 if having rocker makes your skis feel shorter.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
short skis suck, long skis truck!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
Sno

I'm an Élan pro rep so I have skied on most of them
Which model are you getting?

The amphibio don't feel that much shorter to me compared to conventional rocker on both skis because these are full camber on your big toe edge.  I can help you size them.  Really depends on model and how much Ti they have in them and how much rocker also varies by model.

Also what you weight matters and how fast / aggressively you ski

You will love them.  The little toe edge really hooks up great on them helping you ski more two footed.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
IDK what the exact model is.  I am 5 foot 10 and I am getting a 176.  I look forward to skiing on them if you say they are so good.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
do you know the width underfoot?

The 82xti is my all time favorite ski.  I'm on my 2nd pair since my first burned up in the locker room fire.  I ski on a 176.  That has 2 sheets of Ti.  They also make versions with one sheet and none with carbon replacing the Ti to soften the ski for lighter skiers and women.

There are at least a dozen other amphibio skis in the line in just about every width and shape from race skis to powder boards.

Everyone that gets them raves about them.  Only drawback is that you can't switch the skis if you trash one edge.  So when I ski in the woods when it's iffy I use a rock ski.

Let me know how they work for you once you get on them.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I pick them up on Sunday.  I will post a picture in the Gear Stoke thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
Last time I did that,I spent the night in Plattsburgh so it wasn't a direct route. It wasn't more than an hour from Plattsburgh if that helps.
wasn't more than an hour??  you were high bro!   it's an easy 1:45 from P-burgh
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Sno

I'm an Élan pro rep so I have skied on most of them
Which model are you getting?

The amphibio don't feel that much shorter to me compared to conventional rocker on both skis because these are full camber on your big toe edge.  I can help you size them.  Really depends on model and how much Ti they have in them and how much rocker also varies by model.

Also what you weight matters and how fast / aggressively you ski

You will love them.  The little toe edge really hooks up great on them helping you ski more two footed.
I am getting an amphibio 76.  Here is a picture.

Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Demo'd some skis today and at Inside Edge's Demo Day. Blizzard Bonafide was on my short list. Despite the rave reviews for that ski, they just didn't do it for me. I tried the new Volkl Mantra, which wasn't even on my radar, and I really, really liked them right away. They're full rocker, but I loved the way they skied. I also tried 2 different Atomics that are not even worth discussing.

Now more than ever, I will not buy any ski I haven't tried first.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'd love to see short review of everything you tried, with the where and what conditions, and maybe what you usually like. I really lean towards american made stuff, but Atomics inevitably end up on my list of things to try.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I want a ~100 wide rockered ski that's fun in the trees and will float in whatever powder we're lucky to get. I haven't ruled out Atomic. The new Automatic 102, which sounds like it could be my one-ski quiver, is on my short list to demo, but nobody brought them to demo day. I tried the Atomic Blackeye just because it was there. It was OK, but it's just a front-side ski. I tried the Atomic Theory in a 186cm, which was a bit too long for me. I really wanted to check out the edgehold for anything I tried, but the snow was soft on each demo day.

I went through the same thing when shaped skis came out. A lot of the skis I demo'd back then were OK, but not any better for me than what I was on . . . until I tried the ski that I knew right away was the one I had to have (Volkl P40 SL). I'll keep at it until I find it. For now, the Volkl Mantra is a candidate for purchase.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Try and demo the Nordica NRGY 100's. I bought the 90's and my buddy bought the 100's, we're both very happy with them.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
I pulled the trigger on a new pair of Mantras in December. Not sure if you made the decision for yourself yet, but I can say you will not be disappointed with that ski.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What does tail rocker do?

If two skis are the same but one has moderate tail rocker and one doesn't how will they differ? Pros and cons?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
What does tail rocker do?

If two skis are the same but one has moderate tail rocker and one doesn't how will they differ? Pros and cons?
Tail rocker will make it easier to slide your tails around to sluff off speed
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Harvey
it takes your skiing to the next level. Things you never realized we’re possible become reality.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hahahaha. Ok so then what is the downside?

The ski is basically shorter so it will be less stable at speed on groomers?

I'm a quiver of one guy.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
Hahahaha. Ok so then what is the downside?

The ski is basically shorter so it will be less stable at speed on groomers?

I'm a quiver of one guy.
For a few years my primary ski for both east and west was 88 underfoot with tip and tail rocker.  Great in all sorts of soft snow in the Rockies.  Okay in the northeast but not the best grip when icy.  I usually didn't bother to ski them in the northeast and wasn't a model I would've bought for northeast skiing only.

Now my primary ski for flying trips is 85 underfoot, only tip rocker.  Seems more versatile.  But could mostly be my improved technique.  I bought them after the second day I rented them as demo skis.  I have lots of control at speed on western groomers.  Discovered that at Taos the season no black terrain was open the week I was there for a Ski Week.  Have also skied them in 15+ inches of fresh powder.

My narrow skis are 78 underfoot and 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis.  If I rent powder skis with tip and tail rocker, I can easily go another 5cm longer.