Roller Coaster Thread

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roller Coaster Thread

witch hobble
The OT could use some new blood. Fresh perspective.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
El toro is great. It's just really fast.
No mention of Kingda Ka at Six Flags Jackson, NJ?
One thing I found of interest was the drive system for Kingda Ka. As I recall, eight 500 hp motors drive the hydraulic system feeding accumulators(energy storage devices) to power the winch which propels the trains into motion (may be wrong but I think that's accurate). That equates to a system capable of producing 20,800 peak horsepower!. I believe the trains go from 0-128 mph in something on the order of 3.5 secs. All I know is when the system says go...its all or nothing. There used to be pics of the drive system, on-line via Google. Not sure if they're still up there but worth a shot to take a look if you are interested.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
We like Kingda ka too. I find the anticipation and waiting for the launch is scarier then the ride itself
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Brownski wrote
We like Kingda ka too. I find the anticipation and waiting for the launch is scarier then the ride itself
No kidding..same sentiment here. The times I rode it, I said to myself, "what the hell am I doing on this thing",lol.
Figure if the shit hits the fan, its gonna be bad!
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Holy crap.

I'm at Busch Gardens with Neve just waiting in lines with her as mom takes a day off.  I got up some courage to do the log flume and we did it twice.

There's some wind and lightning around and certain rides are going on and off. Neve got halfway up Mach Tower and came back down as they shut it down.

She's more scared of the weather than the insane coasters and asked if we could go back to the hotel after one more ride. InvadR.

I've been walking through the ride to exit, but my heart was pounding and I sat down and clicked in. I thought Neve would be totally pumped but she was like "dad what are you doing?! You are NOT going to like this!"

I reiterate. Holy crap!

I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
Since I rode Invadr I've had vertigo.  Not positive they are related, but the timing seems like quite a coincidence. Zelda is convinced it is related.

I mostly feel it when I rise out of bed.  Lucky for me it doesn't seem to effect me when I ski. I could imagine it being a problem in the bumps or arching fast turns.

I had vertigo about 10 or 15 years ago for about a year and it went away, on it's own. Hope that happens again.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
The one advantage of being in Metro Detroit is only being 2 hours from Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio. Father’s Day 2018 will be the 17th year ina row that my daughter and I go to Cedar Point from open to close and ride coasters all day Long
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Point
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Mi Skier
We are familiar with Cedar Point. Cool place. It was part of our summer road trip last year- Truly a Mecca for roller coaster lovers in the US. We had tons of fun:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Summer-Road-Trip-2017-td4111147.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
We got to Six Flags today as part of a birthday celebration. We hit all the usual favorites. Temps in the low 70s, occasional drizzles and a dreary overcast kept the lines short so we actually got a lot of rides in. Kingda KA is still pretty exciting.

Requisite yearly pic of El Toro- the official roller coaster of the NYSkiblog.

The new ride which just opened today, Cyborg, was kind of a dud.

The log flume was shut down but it would have been kind of cold for it anyway

Signs, signs, everywhere the signs...

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Brownski wrote
Requisite yearly pic of El Toro- the official roller coaster of the NYSkiBlog.

Vertigo subsiding lately, probably have to ride it once...

Brownski wrote
The new ride which just opened today, Cyborg, was kind of a dud.

This looks like a puker to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Love the El Toro stoke. Definitely the best wooden I've been on and the only reason I can think of to revisit SFGA.

It has been awhile since I've been to a park. The new wood coaster revisions from RMC look really cool. I was thinking about a swing down to SFNE to give the new Cyclone a shot and maybe hit Dorney while we are down there (haven't been there before). Need to get back out to Cedar Point next year, they've added a lot since we were last there a dozen years ago or so (the RMC treatment on Mean Streak looks really good, Mean Streak is probably my least favorite wood coaster). I also need to make a KD/BGW trip at some point and also DW/Carowinds trip as well... last time I was at those parks was pre-college so lots of new stuff since my last visits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah, can’t say enough nice things about El Toro. It’s worth the trip to six flags New England if you haven’t been on the cyclone since they worked it over. It’s officially called the “wicked cyclone” now. I actually like that park better then great adventure or great escape. I feel like it’s the best run of the three but, even though there’s no el toro or kingda ka, it still has some pretty good coasters.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Brownski wrote
Hmmm, I thought there be some discussion of this one...
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Brownski wrote
Yeah, can’t say enough nice things about El Toro. It’s worth the trip to six flags New England if you haven’t been on the cyclone since they worked it over. It’s officially called the “wicked cyclone” now. I actually like that park better then great adventure or great escape. I feel like it’s the best run of the three but, even though there’s no el toro or kingda ka, it still has some pretty good coasters.
Six Flags parks all kinda suck as far as I've seen, comparing them is like having a spitting contest, the winner is still pretty disgusting. I never got on KK at SFGA but I've been on TTD at CP. That type of ride is good fun but is never going to be worth the wait nor worth sacrificing short lines elsewhere for when the park opens. I'm good with everything else at SFGA. I could see going back on a super discounted ticket just to ride El Toro all day and literally nothing else.

It looks like a lot of improvements have been made at SFNE since my last time there... they got rid of the frigging awful high seat speakers and audio on Superman, new trains and restraints for Mind Eraser which might actually make it worth going on now, Joker looks interesting (Zipper combined with a coaster track, count me in for that!), and the new Cyclone looks amazing. It was a "one and done" last time I went. But the improvements might make it worth a yearly visit, especially if the new Cyclone delivers (I'm going to have a hard time calling it "Wicked Cycle" even if it is a totally different coaster).

My last time at SFNE, I actually liked Pandemonium the most out of all their coasters. I had never been on a spinning coaster before and it was SUPER fun. Then Bizarro was a real let down, I much prefer MF at CP in that league. But the audio and high seat speakers might have contributed to the disappointment. Still a good ride, but many people rate it higher than MF at CP and it just wasn't even close for me. So perhaps too high of expectations due to hype.

Any ways, we are looking at a Dorney (never been) and SFNE trip next month. So I am looking forward to seeing all the new stuff at SFNE.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
We hated Mind Eraser. I kind of agree about Bizarro too. For being that big I expected it be scarier then it turned out to be.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Hey Brownski, you’re an awesome father. I just wanted to throw that out there.

It’s imo the most important part of our lives and from I can tell you kill it man. Respect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thanks for the sentiment RA. right back at you. Of course we won't know for sure for a couple more years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Junior
Got stuck on Superman at SFGADV the other day. Was hanging for like 20 minutes.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Dang. What did the park do for the inconvenience?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
It was kinda disappointing. We each got an “exit pass”. Basically it was a single-use skip the line voucher. I’d have preferred a free funnel cake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Brownski wrote
 I’d have preferred a free funnel cake.