Sandy and Irene - cyclic ocean temps or global warming?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sandy and Irene - cyclic ocean temps or global warming?

ADKarver
I am not a scientist nor an amateur meteorologist, but I understood Sandy not to be a tropical event when it hit the Northeast.  Yes, it was a late season TS/Cat 1 Hurricane on its path through the Caribbean, but it was a cold front from the North and West, not warm water, that drew it in to the coast and strengthened it to a "super" storm.  Sandy no longer had "tropical characteristics" and no TS/Hurricane warnings were posted on the Atlantic coast north of the Carolinas.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ADKarver wrote
...no TS/Hurricane warnings were posted on the Atlantic coast north of the Carolinas.
I think that was fairly controversial.  My understanding is that NWS did not post Hurricane Warnings because of the technical details you posted above, but Sandy did make landfall with wind speeds in excess of 75 mph so it had destructive powers equal to a Cat 1.

Ultimately did it matter? Who knows. I guess the question is would more people have taken evacuations seriously if a Hurricane Warning was in effect.

Freedom to do whatever the heck you want (ie ignore evac rules) can be expensive.  The question is whose "money" (lives etc) are you spending when you make that choice?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Harvey44 wrote
ADKarver wrote
...no TS/Hurricane warnings were posted on the Atlantic coast north of the Carolinas.
I think that was fairly controversial.  My understanding is that NWS did not post Hurricane Warnings because of the technical details you posted above, but Sandy did make landfall with wind speeds in excess of 75 mph so it had destructive powers equal to a Cat 1.

Ultimately did it matter? Who knows. I guess the question is would more people have taken evacuations seriously if a Hurricane Warning was in effect.

Freedom to do whatever the heck you want (ie ignore evac rules) can be expensive.  The question is whose "money" (lives etc) are you spending when you make that choice?
If it was classified as a hurricane insurance companies would use hurricane deductables which cost homeowners more than the standard deductables.

Not a hurricane
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Joe B used this graph as evidence against global warming:

"Seeing the hand of the unmoved mover in the majesty of the atmosphere."

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp