142 messages Options
1234 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Serious Accident at Gore

adkskier
This post was updated on .
A serious accident occurred resulting in critical injuries at Gore today. Reliable sources report the skier, believed to be a mature male, was skiing the lower section of Echo in anticipation of skiing to the Burnt Ridge lift via Cedars (a location that many of us tuck). He ran into a trail closure rope across the trail at the point where one either turns left to Cedars or right to return to the base area. Condition of the skier (other than critical) is not known. The initial ambulance dispatch called for a medevac helicopter, but weather conditions made flight unsafe. More when/if I know more...
The accident happened around 11am and the skier was on Echo so unless he skied under a closed rope elsewhere, there was a reasonable expectation that this route would have been open. Keep your eyes open and be careful!
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Serious Accident at Gore

Spongeworthy
He skied into a rope. The details I heard are horrific.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm confused---was he skiing a closed trail and hit a rope or skiing an open trail with a rope acrossed it

Anyway, hope he makes a full recovery++++++vibes+++++++

Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by adkskier
The Post Star is reporting that a 72 year old man skied FACE FIRST into the rope. Ugh.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Post Star:
Skier seriously injured

NORTH CREEK -- A 72-year-old man was rushed Thursday to Albany Medical Center after skiing headlong into a rope barrier at Gore Mountain Ski Resort.

Ken Burst was skiing down the Echo trail, an intermediate-level slope, on Gore’s lower half and tried to ski underneath the barrier marking a closed trail, according to Jon Lundin, a spokesman for the Olympic Regional Development Authority, which operates the mountain.

“Apparently, he didn’t see the roped-off area,” said Warren County Sheriff’s Lt. Steve Stockdale.

Burst slammed face-first into the rope, causing severe facial injuries, officials said.

Warren County sheriff’s investigators were called to the scene in the event a “death investigation” was warranted, Stockdale said.

Burst was taken down the mountain by Gore’s ski patrol and then transported to Glens Falls Hospital by Johnsburg Emergency Squad. He was then taken to Albany Medical Center’s trauma unit.

Burst was listed in fair condition Friday morning, according to a spokeswoman at Albany Medical Center.

Burst’s hometown wasn’t immediately available.

The police investigation is closed, Stockdale said.

Lundin didn’t know which trail Burst was trying to access. All down-slope trails that connect with Echo, except Cirque Glades, were open Friday, according to Gore’s website.

Skiing-related injuries are common at all downhill resorts.

Johnsburg EMS is one of Warren County’s more active squads largely because of the regular broken bones and head injuries suffered at Gore.

Several years ago, town and EMS officials briefly discussed with ORDA the possibility of establishing a satellite EMS station on the mountain because of the high call volume.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
article updated- The Burnt Ridge lift was closed:

NORTH CREEK -- A 72-year-old man was rushed Thursday to Albany Medical Center after skiing headlong into a rope barrier at Gore Mountain Ski Resort.

Ken Burst was skiing down the Echo trail, an intermediate-level slope, on Gore’s lower half and tried to ski underneath the barrier marking a closed trail, according to police and Jon Lundin, a spokesman for the Olympic Regional Development Authority, which operates the mountain.

“Apparently, he didn’t see the roped-off area,” said Warren County Sheriff’s Lt. Steve Stockdale.

Burst slammed face-first into the rope, causing severe facial injuries, officials said.

Warren County sheriff’s investigators were called to the scene in the event a “death investigation” was warranted, Stockdale said.

Burst was taken down the mountain by Gore’s ski patrol and then transported to Glens Falls Hospital by Johnsburg Emergency Squad. He was then taken to Albany Medical Center’s trauma unit.

Burst was listed in fair condition Friday morning, according to a spokeswoman at Albany Medical Center.

Burst’s hometown wasn’t immediately available.

The police investigation is closed, Stockdale said.

Lundin said Burst was trying to access the Burnt Ridge quad lift via the Gully trail. The Gully trail was closed because the Burnt Ridge lift was not operational because of a mechanical issue, Lundin said.

Skiing-related injuries are common at all downhill resorts.

Johnsburg EMS is one of Warren County’s more active squads largely because of the regular broken bones and head injuries suffered at Gore.

Several years ago, town and EMS officials briefly discussed with ORDA the possibility of establishing a satellite EMS station on the mountain because of the high call volume.

Update: 3/9 - I've since learned that the skier's name is misspelled and is "Brust". He is a close friend of one of my close friends. Within the limits of the family's wishes, I will share more on his prognosis as I learn more.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm having a hard time imagining the scenario.  Ropes are usually not more than a couple of feet off the ground - maybe three feet at the side?  So that does sound like the skier was in a tuck. And as Adkskier said, Gully is a place where Gore skiers tend to tuck. I guess it makes sense except for my own preconceived notion about how skiers in their 70s ski.

Vibes for sure. Ugh.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Expert skier anticipating skiing the Gore horizontal that is Cedars and closure ropes averaging closer to 3 ft off the skiing surface. A sad and unfortunate accident. Also remember that a skier on Echo is looking down at this particular rope and it would be easy for it to blend in to the white background as compared with looking at the Rumor or Lies ropes as examples. Now if the skier had any distance vision issues or light may have played a role in seeing the rope. The guy has just skied Echo and has no idea that the lift has broken down so he has no reason (other than just being careful and prudent) to expect a rope closure, but knows he has a long skate if he doesn't hit Cedars at high speed. I'm confident that I pass that closure point at 40MPH or better on a consistent basis.

Harvey44 wrote
I'm having such a hard time imagining the scenario.  Ropes are usually not more than a couple of feet off the ground - maybe three feet at the side?  So that does sound like the skier was in a tuck. And as Adkskier said, Gully is a place where Gore skiers tend to tuck. I guess it makes sense except for my own preconceived notion about how skiers in their 70s ski.

Vibes for sure. Ugh.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
I guess it makes sense except for my own preconceived notion about how skiers in their 70s ski.
That gone blown away when I was skiing with an 85YO at K-mart and told him I had never seen a royal cristie, He then proceeds to pop them off on his way down Ovation, just to show the young wipper snapper how it was done in the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Prayers...hope he is stable and makes a good recovery.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I've gone into that tuck right there many times.  The images going through my head make me shake.  Sending out prayers for his quick and full recovery.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Here is the quote from a gentleman named Jerry Farnsworth who commented on the Post Star article:

"Re: Ken Burst's horrific accident at Gore on 3/7: I saw the crash and was immediately on scene. We were all part of a group which gained access to lower Echo and the Gully trail as soon as ski patrol took down the rope on the Twister's Sister access off Twister and let us through. The patrol, however, had failed to remove the rope accessing the traverse to the Burnt Ridge quad (which had opened). Rope was difficult to see, as Mr. Burst's crash attests. The poor guy hit it face first at speed and then crashed violently. I knelt with him until the first responder arrived. His facial injuries were horrific and I wish him the best - and encourage the family to contact me if they wish further details from a witness."
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
Hello to everyone on the blog and thank you for your comments, observations about the incident, and your thoughts and warm wishes for Ken Brust.  My name is Cory and I'm his daughter.  I wanted to send out a message to Jerry Farnsworth especially to thank you for your crucial help to my father at the time of the accident as well as your statement here on this site and your offer to have our family contact you as a witness.  Admittedly, I am disturbed by what I'm reading in the paper that my dad didn't see "the closed trail" and that the investigation is concluded.  I'm not comfortable leaving it at that, as I don't know that that's what happened, based on everything I'm hearing about that day.  My email is eemailcory@gmail.com if you would like to get in touch with me.  In the meantime, through all of my dad's friends at the mountain, I'm sure I will be able to figure out how to get in touch with you.

Thank you,
Cory Brust-Sheridan
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Cory wrote
Hello to everyone on the blog and thank you for your comments, observations about the incident, and your thoughts and warm wishes for Ken Brust.  My name is Cory and I'm his daughter.  I wanted to send out a message to Jerry Farnsworth especially to thank you for your crucial help to my father at the time of the accident as well as your statement here on this site and your offer to have our family contact you as a witness.  Admittedly, I am disturbed by what I'm reading in the paper that my dad didn't see "the closed trail" and that the investigation is concluded.  I'm not comfortable leaving it at that, as I don't know that that's what happened, based on everything I'm hearing about that day.  My email is eemailcory@gmail.com if you would like to get in touch with me.  In the meantime, through all of my dad's friends at the mountain, I'm sure I will be able to figure out how to get in touch with you.

Thank you,
Cory Brust-Sheridan
Cory - from everyone at NYSB - our heartfelt best wishes to you and your family.  If there is a specific message you want to get out, we may be able to help in someway, as NYSB does have a large Gore audience. Please email me at the address in my signature if you can imagine some way we can help.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey44 wrote
Cory wrote

Thank you,
Cory Brust-Sheridan
Cory - from everyone at NYSB - our heartfelt best wishes to you and your family.  

+1
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
Hello and thank you very much for that, everyone at NYSB.  I appreciate it.  And I'll let me dad know, too.  Also, I'd like to ask anyone with any information regarding the incident to please contact me at eemailcory@gmail.com or 386-337-4249.
Thank you.
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
P.S. I hadn't noticed the last sentence of the message from everyone at NYSB until I had already replied.  I want to thank you very much for your offer to help and it's good to know about your large audience.  I'm sure it will come in handy.
Thanks again,
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Harvey
harv b careful about your assumptions man , i will be 70 in 2 months and ski with several guys in their LATE 70/s and 2 who are. 80 .

They all RIP refularly and tucking is part of THAT melieu . Several are ex college racers or hockey pucks and are in better shape that many half their age .

All i m saying is MANY who are ABLE to ski at that age are very skilled and Are GYM rats who value physical conditioning . So a 70 yr old who is in shape has aerobic conditioning and DESIRE is one who is ALIVE , WELL and functions at a pretty efficient level on the hill. Tucking is no big deal it is part of a regular routine for skilled skiers who are adrenaline junkies

AGE is an FN number , conditioning , ATTitude and a free spirit trumps any asumptions about alleged geezerhood ..... Just sayin ,,,  . OK we interrupt this rant to return to regular programming , stay calm and carry on
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Cory
Cory : we ALL wish your dad the very best and whenever one of us who ski is injured in a horrific situation it impacts the entire skiing community . Tell your dad that he is in our thoughts and prayers and that we wish him a full recovery.  

Cory , Stay strong for your dad , that means more to a parent than you can imagine . I empathize having faced a life threatening episode 3and half yrs ago and my kids were strong for me .  God bless you and be with your whole family

Warp
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by warp daddy
I really hate to go OT on this thread, but feel the need to explain.

My comment wasn't intended to imply that anyone of any age isn't capable.  I don't consider the ability to go into a tuck any measure of skiing ability. I just haven't seen skiers in their 70s skiing in a tuck.  That's just my experience. YMMV, sounds like it does.

I skied with my sister's father-in-law well into his 80s and the man was an incredible skier. Far better than I, and probably the best skier in our family.

Apologies if I offended. It certainly wasn't intended.

Back on topic: Vibes to Cory and her family.
1234 ... 8