classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
142 messages Options
12345 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Serious Accident at Gore

warp daddy
No offense taken Harv , no apology necessary , its all good , and i understand the Law of Non Allness. ;)

Im sure with your dedication ro this sport and your zeal YOU will be one of those septuagenarian rippers one day

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
Hi Warp, thanks so much for your comments.  You're right -- being strong for my dad is so important and I'm doing my best!  He's still in the ICU but he's going to make it.  I'm glad to hear that you pulled through something so serious 3 years ago and that your kids were there for you.  I know that you and all of the ski community are behind anyone who gets hurt and I will take all of your warm wishes to my dad.
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
Warp Daddy -- not just Warp, I think is your tag -- sorry about that! :)
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
CORY : So very glad to hear that your dad is GOING to. Make it !,,, awesome news . a great family and a friend network can work wonders on speeding up a recovery . VIBES. Cory keep on keeping on and continue to offer him STRONG encouragement to pick up the pieces and go on with this adventure we call life .

warp
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Slipper
I know the 72 year old skier who had the accident at Gore. He is an excellent skier! I don't know what happened but would ski with him at the drop of a hat. I wish him a speedy recovery and can't wait to see him out again.
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
In reply to this post by adkskier
Prayers for Mr. Brust and family.

The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by Cory
Cory wrote
Hi Warp, thanks so much for your comments.  You're right -- being strong for my dad is so important and I'm doing my best!  He's still in the ICU but he's going to make it.  I'm glad to hear that you pulled through something so serious 3 years ago and that your kids were there for you.  I know that you and all of the ski community are behind anyone who gets hurt and I will take all of your warm wishes to my dad.
Cory
Cory thoughts and prayers to your dad and your family.  I wasn't at the mountain on Thursday but that is a really wide section of trail that most people fly down to keep enough speed to carry into Cedars.  Its not too hard to imagine how it happened.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jackalope
In reply to this post by adkskier
Best wishes and many good vibes to Mr. Brust and his family.  I hope he makes a full recovery!  

I wonder if the rope in question was equipped with a breakaway device.  From the Reliable Racing website, it looks like they are readily available there at a cost of about $2.00 each.  ($288.00 for a gross of 144 equals $2.00 each).  Does anyone know anything about these things?  Do they work in the sense they reliably hold the rope while preventing the injuries otherwise inherent with this sort of accident?   I have never seen one on any of the ropes at Gore, and this accident certainly makes me wonder why.  Maybe they do not work.  If they reliably hold  the rope without breaking, while at the same time preventing injuries, especially given the minimal cost I cannot imagine any legitimate reason not to install one on every rope.

It would be awful  if it turns out a) the rope was not so equipped; and b) it would have been practical to install a breakaway on the rope, and c) a breakaway would have either entirely prevented or substantially reduced Mr. Brust's injuries.    

BTW, a friend of mine told me that he mentioned this accident to a patroler at Hunter Mtn.  who said all ropes there are equipped with break away devices.

BREAK-A-WAY® ROPE CONNECTORS - GROSS
Item: 44138
In Stock
$288.00
Quantity:

DESCRIPTION
Release at 45lbs of tension at most temperatures
Holds up to 200' span of 3/8" rope
Patented- RRS Exclusive
Made in the USA.
Reply | Threaded
|

Elleneliz69
In reply to this post by Cory
Well, Ken Brust- there's a blast from the past!
 I used to babysit you, Cory, from infancy to about 3 or 4 years of age.  Kenny is a wonderful guy.  I skiied with him at Hunter Mountain back in 1981 - no way he would make a mistake like skiing a closed trail.  
I am sending prayers for his speedy recovery!  Please tell him Ellen Herschler sends her best.  I'm just ten years behind in age and boy, did I resent that 72 yr old comment, especially when referring to your Dad!  He was always so fit and a constant coach, always prodding me to do better!  I hope you have a good visit with him and that he mends quickly!  
Please send him my thoughts and love.
Take care, Ellen (Herschler) Finkenberg
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
i was just wondering what condition mr burst was in,has anybody heard? i dont know mr burst,but i understand he has been a long time skier of gore,and was a good skier,a few of my friend know of him and say hes a really nice guy..my best well wishes for him and his family,,hopeful he will make a full recovery and b back on the hill soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
In reply to this post by warp daddy
Hi Warp, thanks very much, yes he is going to make it, thank the stars.  He does have a great family and friend network -- so much love and support.  I will continue with the encouragement and in no time (well, a bit of time), Ken will be back in the adventure we call life, as you put it :)  Thanks for the comments.
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
In reply to this post by Slipper
Hi Skipper, thanks for your comments and the substantiation that my dad is an excellent skier -- which is true.  I'm glad you'd ski with him at the drop of a hat and I'm sure you'll be seeing him again on the slopes.  Can't keep a good man down :)
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
In reply to this post by mikegbflo
Thanks Mikegbflo, much appreciated.  Will pass on your good wishes.
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Hi Danzilla,

Thank you for your comments and I'm sure it's not hard for you to imagine how it happened and you seem to know Gore well so you can draw your conclusions.  Thank you for your wishes.
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
In reply to this post by Jackalope
Hi Jackalope, thank you first of all for your good wishes for my dad and his recovery.  And thank you for taking the time to write all of the information about the breakaway ropes.  I cannot offer any reasonable explanation as to why a rope would be tied to stop a tank.  If a skier doesn't see the rope, for whatever reason, it should never cause any bodily harm.  I too have heard that Hunter has breakaway ropes and from your information, clearly they're available.  I am grateful to have this information from you.
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
In reply to this post by outlaw 1
Hi Outlaw1, thanks so much for asking after my dad.  His condition is stable and he's at home.  He sustained trauma to his face, neck, and throat and punctured a lung.  He is recovering, though, and that's the key.  What you've heard is right, he's a great skier and a lovely person.  Thanks again and I'm sure you'll be seeing him on the slopes someday.
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
In reply to this post by Elleneliz69
Hi Ellen, wow, how are you doing?  A blast from the past is right.  Circa Asharoken, 1975-1979.  Where does the time go?  Thank you so much for reaching out to post your thoughts and concern for my dad -- of course I will definitely tell him.  You remember him well, he is a wonderful guy! :) And always a coach, that's true -- sort of in his nature.  And again, dead on -- he would never ski a closed trail.  This was a terrible occurrence.  The recovery road is long but he's strong and will get there.  
I hope you are well and thanks again.
Cory
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Skied Gore yesterday and made sure to look down at any trail rope and I did not see any breakaway component.  The one I looked at appeared to be just tied to a bolt on the base of the lift stanchion.  
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
cory,,, thanks for the update,sounds good,my friend plays tennis with your dad over at green mansions,he will b glad too hear he is home...again hopping for a full recovery.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cory
In reply to this post by gebbyfish
Hi Gebbyfish and thanks very much for taking the time to have a look at the ropes.  It seems your conclusion is in line with the rest -- no breakaway.  
12345 ... 8