classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Six Flags Great Adventure: 4/14/14

snoloco
This post was updated on .
I have spring break this week as do many other NY schools and all NJ schools.  As a result, Six Flags is open this entire week just for spring break, usually it is weekends only until May.  I decided to open up the amusement park season today which is the day after Hunter closed for the season.  

We arrived at the park at about 10:25, but there was a big conga line of cars coming in at the same time, so it took a while to get in.  

The ski rack is still on our car.

There was a huge line to get into the park.

Batman: The Ride testing at the beginning of the day.

We started the amusement park season on this roller coaster called Nitro.  It is over a mile long, 230 feet tall and goes 80 mph.

After Nitro, we walked all the way across the park...

to Bizarro.  This thing goes up side down 7 times.

El Toro was next after Bizarro.  This is a wood coaster that goes 70 mph with a 76 degree first drop and loads of airtime.  It also does some ski racing turns at the end.

The Skyride was closed for wind today, but the wind kept the hornets away.  In case you didn't know, hornets are a rampant problem at most amusement parks.

After lunch, we attempted to ride Superman.  It is the red coaster.  The green one is called Green Lantern, but we skipped it cause I hate that thing.  Superman is a flying coaster where you ride on your stomach.  Green Lantern is a stand up coaster, so it hurts my legs, that it why I don't like it.

Superman and Green Lantern trains on the lift hills.

Superman coming down the hill.

Green Lantern got stuck on the lift hill when we were in line for Superman, and this wasn't the last time I saw a breakdown today.

The next time you think you are in a long ski lift line, think of this picture of Superman's line.  It took almost 90 minutes due to a breakdown which caused one train operation instead of two train operation.

After we finally rode Superman, we went to Batman and waited in this line which took about 35 minutes.  Batman is the close coaster, the far one is Nitro.

After Batman, we decided to do Nitro again and call it a day.  This line took about an hour because of another breakdown that caused them to send up a bunch of trains empty.

Nitro's lift hill.

Some of Nitro's airtime hills.

Walking toward the exit at the end of the day.

It was an enjoyable way to start out the amusement park season despite the place being packed due to nice weather and spring break.  I will definitely come back more this year since I have a pass to ride even more roller coasters.  (Yes it is still enjoyable, even with the lines.)  I will still take skiing over amusement parks any day, but I need snow to ski, not to ride a roller coaster.  I guess I like things where you go down a big hill fast.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure: 4/14/14

Sick Bird Rider
I must really live in the boonies, I had no idea that there are places with that many roller coasters in one park.

Great report, Snoloco. If you get bored with coasters, you can always take up downhill mountain biking or whitewater kayaking.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I must really live in the boonies, I had no idea that there are places with that many roller coasters in one park.
This park isn't even the biggest with the most coasters.  Six Flags Magic Mountain in California has 19, Great Adventure is only 12 (this includes kiddie coasters which I don't ride).  

Sick Bird Rider wrote
If you get bored with coasters, you can always take up downhill mountain biking or whitewater kayaking.
I can't kayak at this time because I don't have the proper equipment to deal with cold water or rapids.  I only kayak in the summer and early fall.  I also don't know of any places that are close enough with whitewater. The crick (Mountain Creek) has a downhill bike park that is good for people of any level.  I may try it later this off season, but it doesn't open till May, 3rd.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Summer sports?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Pants wrote
Summer sports?
It's not really a sport, but according to the forum rules, summer trip reports belong here.  http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Posting-Trip-Reports-mtn-day-mo-yr-td2305817.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
snoloco wrote
Pants wrote
Summer sports?
It's not really a sport, but according to the forum rules, summer trip reports belong here.  http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Posting-Trip-Reports-mtn-day-mo-yr-td2305817.html
interesting
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by snoloco
not 1 pic of bathrooms ,no pee breaks?
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Ahhh... El Toro. The only reason to visit a Six Flags park. Ever.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Pants
Pants wrote
snoloco wrote
Pants wrote
Summer sports?
interesting
Larry
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
Ahhh... El Toro. The only reason to visit a Six Flags park. Ever.

Do you like it because of the ski racing turns that it has in 1:20-1:35 in the video.  BTW that white wooden coaster next to it isn't there any more.

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
snoloco wrote
Do you like it because of the ski racing turns that it has in 1:20-1:35 in the video.  BTW that white wooden coaster next to it isn't there any more.
The end of the track is pretty good as far as that sort of thing goes but El Toro is all about the speed, steep drops, and big air time.

Glad to hear that other wooden coaster next to it was removed. It is one of the few coasters I have ever been on that I felt was dangerous and an accident waiting to happen. That thing felt like it was going to shake apart and fall off the tracks.