304 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 16
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Racing Kids!

Z
My son is doing Winter term with Nysef.  2.5 weeks at Copper then when he comes back will live at the OTC in LP for another two weeks until Xmas.  They have tutors to keep the students in place and he will go back to AuSable in Jan.  He will ski 3 days and 2 nights a week then.  

His Coach just posted some hi res shots

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Very cool pics, coach. He looks like a real pro
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree those shots look primo.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach -- I was impressed with little Z's pics so I sent them to a friend of mine who was on the US Ski Team as well as a race coach for Cornell and GP. His response was-----

"Looking good forward and attacking"

"I give it a HELL yeah"

Hopefully he continues to love the sport as it will get nothing but harder from here
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I have not idea what a good race turn looks like.  That said his right turn looks cleaner than his left.  Is that because he is left handed?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
tjf1967 wrote
I have not idea what a good race turn looks like.  That said his right turn looks cleaner than his left.  Is that because he is left handed?
To me, from these pictures, it looks like his right turn is way better because it's balanced and strong. He's relying too much on inclination for his left turns, which is putting too much weight on his inside ski, and not enough on his outside ski, leading to weird outcomes (washout of outside ski in one turn, ever-so-slight A-frame in another - look at the angles of the skis).

But, that being said, they're great turns, and it might just be a trick of the camera angle.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
mattchuck2 wrote
tjf1967 wrote
To me, from these pictures, it looks like his right turn is way better because it's balanced and strong. He's relying too much on inclination for his left turns, which is putting too much weight on his inside ski, and not enough on his outside ski, leading to weird outcomes (washout of outside ski in one turn, ever-so-slight A-frame in another - look at the angles of the skis).

But, that being said, they're great turns, and it might just be a trick of the camera angle.
Exactly what I see. You see this a lot in U14s and some U16s. He is looking great for his age group though.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Shows what I know.  In his right turn I see that outside ski really setting an edge bring him around clean.  In the left turns it looks like he is skidding somewhat.  Which I think is what you try to avoid. And both turns are nothing that I could do so don't take it as I am not impressed, just my observation.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
I noticed the same thing in the photos.  When I watch the video there is a bit of double fall line that is affecting the Left turns that you can't tell in the still shots.  There also I a decent sized rut right before one of the blue gates in the photo.  He is right handed so those right footed left turns should be his stronger turn.

These were taken over the course of several runs but I think the middle two are in sequence in the same run.  The coaches were making them walk back up to max out the gate time.  He has been out there for almost 2 weeks at this point so I'm sure they have acclimated to the altitude.

Last year was his first for tall pole SL and he didn't quite get it.  Now he is saying SL is fun which is a huge thing to me.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Talked to my son today
Said they only had to hike back up during SL training if the coach saw them skidding turn.  Make good turns and ride the lift instead.  Good motivator at 10500 feet
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
Talked to my son today
Said they only had to hike back up during SL training if the coach saw them skidding turn.  Make good turns and ride the lift instead.  Good motivator at 10500 feet
That's cruel and unusual punishment!!
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
how does little z like winter term. Kids from out here have done that. Will you have him stay for the full term
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
He likes it.  I'm impressed with the organization and structure of it.  If the grades from this period match up to his norm we may consider doing another month during champs season.

My son foreran the GS yesterday.  I had an interesting conversation with a young women on the Clarkson div 3 ski team there for the race.  Compared to some other programs at this level their program is fully funded by the school so all the costs for racing, training and coaching are covered for the athlete by the school.  They only have to buy a WF pass thru Nysef.  Seems like a nice way to keep racing and get a good education.
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
Good deal The kids we know who have done winter term have cleaned up at champs so you may want to consider. Hammer down
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
New format for NYSSRA U14 and U12 racing this year

http://www.nyssra.org/pages/news/2017%20U14%20Excelsior%20Cup%20and%20U12%20a.pdf

In the long run its probably good for my kid to race against bigger more competitive fields.  Alternatively U14 is the age when kids really start dropping out so racing against 3 councils at every race will put kids in the middle and lower parts of the field with really poor finishes and they may get discouraged and drop out at a higher rate.  More drop outs means the sport gets smaller and more expensive for everyone else.  I liked the old system of one smaller race where they would have time to ski afterwards and one big intercouncil per each discipline a year.  

I also worry about the fields being so large that if conditions are marginal like at Windham last year with 2 councils the boys will be skiing in grass filled ruts.  Safety has to be the most important factor and I'm questioning if they can pull this off safely. They are keeping U12's out of the fields which was happening not just with the best 2nd year U12's that were competitive but ones not even close.  Probably hurts the development of the good U12's but good to keep those kids out of the fields.  Gives the option for slower U14's to just race the U12 circuit at the council level - we will have to see how many actually take advantage of that.  If coaches would actively guide the kids that need more development into that route it would be good to keep them involved and the fields smaller.

They put the schedule together with the thought of limiting travel but it now groups the SL and GS races on the same weekends.  Last year I saw a ton of development from all the kids especially in SL between the first and 2nd SL race. This is really true for 1st year U14 that have not raced tall pole SL before.  The positive is more training time but until they actually run a SL for the first time in a race I don't think they quite understand what is going on. They have been racing GS all thru U10 and 12 so I can see putting both GS races on the same weekend.  I would think that NYSSRA would be more interested in development than this schedule indicates.
So here is my take after the first weekend of racing under this new u14 format

Having what was three councils race together does do a good job of pushing up the pace which will definately make for faster racers long term.  The coaches set very challenging courses also a really good benefit of this  and a 48 sec long for the winning run is a long tough SL for a u14.  McCauley is a really good SL hill with some good roll overs and a double fall line pitch they really used to challenge the boys.  This format will push my kid long term so I am in favor.

On the negative side the fields were too big 65 girls and 60 boys and the race took too long.  On Saturday we were one injury away from running out of light on a very foggy day for the boys.

The concept is supposed to be that some of the kids not ready for this level would instead just race the new council level u12 and 14 races to lower costs and increase fun.  Realilty is coaches must not be able to say no or they are coaching how to finish not how to be fast.  There where at least 20 girls and 10+ boys that were not blocking the gate really had no business skiing this hard and long of a course set.  Huge number of dnfs and that 48 sec run becomes 1:15 if you add half of a second at every gate.  

Saturday my son placed 2nd less than 0.3 from the win. Sunday his random bid draw had him starting dead last on a 40 degree day.  Finished 7th on the first run which given the ruts was great and 3rd on the second for a fourth. They Should seed the first run with this many kids to keep it fair for the top group of really fast kids.  My idea would be for 1-10 to be random and then top 10 kids based on last year states and then current yr standing to race 11-20 then he rest of field randomly.

Nysef swept the top 10 girls.  I'm really proud of all the work my son put in on SL as it's not his preferred event. Looking forward to Super G and GS upcoming

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Z
My son crashed big in training GS yesterday

Shin bang and a bit swellen knee - not sure how serious it is at this point.  Going to have a friend of ours that is a PT look at it tonight and see if he can race Sunday or not.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Too bad, hope it is nothing serious.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
He hyperextended it and it swelled up some
Got it checked out by a friend who s a PT and everything is ok.  Physio taping really helped and he took a couple days off.  Was able to race today though I think he skied careful in the first run
Made the podium
Super G next weekend at Gore
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Congrats to the whole Z family. Keep 'im healthy
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
1 ... 891011121314 ... 16