classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
304 messages Options
1234567 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Racing Kids!

hunthollowmtn1
Cant remember if they ran simultaneously or not.  Upper course is steeper than below
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
SL does not run at same time.  Shared finish for both, same location as SG and GS.  Best day to ski is the SL day.  For those focused on the $80 daily race fee comment,  add $50 parent tix, plus $120+ a night hotel, plus food (including at the mountain) and its a $1000 for a 3 day event for the hill and local economy.  Multiple by 140 athletes.  I did not count gas and tolls, just local expenses.  So yea, its frustrating, not entitled.  Oh, did I mention, it was a Monday, and raining, and 90% of the skiers that day were racers?  The other 10% of skiers in the rain had their choice of over 20 other tables, each seating 8 to 10. Emptier than the Carrier Dome during football season.  Help put in perspective for conclusion jumpers?  Totally agree seating is for paying customers.   Before passing judgement onto a segment of society that pays for your snowmaking and high speed lifts and orange fencing,  look beyond NJ.   Ever been to Gore or WF at a state or national level event?  Racers are a non-issue in the lodge.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
My son's college race team switched training from Bristol to Hunt Hollow a few years ago due to price and treatment. They trained on various week nights when Bristol was mostly empty. It was like Bristol was doing them a favor. Hunt was a little cheaper but way more accommodating.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Was at a j2 race a few years back at HH. Very much welcomed and appreciated our business.  Offered a couple rooms upstairs in the lodge with couches to view for those who did not wish to brave the weather.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by x10003q
I guess Hunt Hollow allows the racers to take up most of the lodge space and make it so the other paying customers can't get a seat.  Elitism at its finest.  What is done at Bristol should be done everywhere.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
So again, jumping to conclusions.   Let me be more clear - a dedicated, comfortable, area for viewing while supporting the mountain through race fees, parent tickets, and food.   Less than 20% of available lodge space used.  Oh, and had running water.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
In reply to this post by snoloco
Go back to your unhappy thread and stop hijacking threads with your miserable negativity.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I guess Hunt Hollow allows the racers to take up most of the lodge space and make it so the other paying customers can't get a seat.  Elitism at its finest.  What is done at Bristol should be done everywhere.
Coming from a guy who has never been to Bristol or Hunt. You must think you are psychic. You actually come off as  psycho. There is a difference.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Hoser
Hoser wrote
SL does not run at same time.  Shared finish for both, same location as SG and GS.  Best day to ski is the SL day.  For those focused on the $80 daily race fee comment,  add $50 parent tix, plus $120+ a night hotel, plus food (including at the mountain) and its a $1000 for a 3 day event for the hill and local economy.  Multiple by 140 athletes.  I did not count gas and tolls, just local expenses.  
I'm confused how can there be a upper and lower course with a shared finish?  Or is it a shared timing system?

I'm also trying to figure out why the U14 champs is over 80 bucks a day when regular races for U14 s this season have been between 40-50 per day.  What the heck are we getting for the extra 30+ a day?

This is easily going to run a grand a family for the weekend so yeah I'm feeling a bit entitled to good treatment.  Finish top 16 and I get to spend probably 1500 in Maine two weeks later. Yikes!
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Its not truly upper and lower, that was from another poster originally.  From the bottom, guys SL on left (with  higher start) and gals SL on the right (lower start) but it is split until the bottom half and a common finish.   At least for u16 and older.  Its works well actually.

Question 2 - yeah, exactly....race fees are outta control.

And #3, the reward for success, more travel, more expense, the prize for the next level.  You gotta admit, it is fun though.  Crazy sport, but fun.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Usually U14 who are new to tall pole SL (especially 1st yr u14) don't race SL on black steep pitches.  For example last weekend on Twister at Gore they raced and finished above the final drop.  I expect that would continue at states.  Maybe they race on one course on the lower flatter bottom.  What they did at a West was set two courses right and left on the same trail and then the boys and girls switched courses.  They moved some gates from the harder boys course for the girls.  

As a parent of a boy I gave to say in today's age of gender equality I'm not happy with how ski racing coddles the girls and punishes the boys.  At this age the girls are more mature and ultimately this is not good for the girls that they keep racing on always ski clean courses when the boys ski shitty rutted courses all the time.

My son's gs has improved tremendously this year but I can see SL is a real work in progress where he is thinking too much and not just skiing like he does for GS.  He absolutely loved Super G and if he grows to my size he will be a speed guy long term.  Coach Jimbo has a great track record developing top end speed athletes
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Someone from the forum from Gore sent me some photos from the SL at Gore thanks - let me know who did it

Here is a good shot of my son

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice photo!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Awesome shot; I'm sure you're super proud
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
That is a great shot  - your boy knows what he is doing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Funny contrast, X knows racing well and is commenting on your boys skillz, I know zip about ski racing and looking at it as a great photo. (I might lighten it a bit :).

So great shot on both accounts I guess.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by x10003q
I forwarded the whole set of to other WF Nysef parents

I believe these were shot by a professional photographer - Roger Saks is who is credited with shooting these.  If he is not a pro he should be.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
I think it is a winner on both counts
Reply | Threaded