304 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 16
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Racing Kids!

Z
The guys are Placid Planet were telling me that the hot box thing is a fad that has run its course as they are finding that heating skis up that much is bad for the structural integrity of the ski.  Thoughts?

I am looking forward to the day soon ahead when my son takes over responsibility for tuning and waxing his own skis.  Frankly I just don't have the time to spend that much time as you are taking on one tune and wax.  Before a race I may spend 45 mins to an hour on his skis tops.  This week I have to prep 3 different race skis.  I did his gs race skis for training today and all the slip skis and a pair of mine in a couple of hours last night.

He is probably going to go to Northwood and he will be doing his own skis when he trains every day.  I have a job to pay for all the skis, wax and training and a life too.

Right now what I am doing for races now is just one wax coat of Swix LF, scrape, steel brush for about 5 mins, while nylon stiff brush for a couple of mins, a min or two of horse hair and blue soft nylon.  Am I killing his times with this routine?

I don't know how I learn from a good or bad wax until he tells me it was sticky which has only happened once for training when I got the wax totally wrong.

Harv - for now lets leave this all in one thread
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
The short answer is, who the hell really knows what works and what doesn't

I've been through this with a bunch of kids and started out not knowing anything, and no doubt screwing up their early times.  I have spoken with a bunch of ski techs at major events over the years and they all say that HF and Cera will cut times by seconds per run (Of course this assumes  all things being equal - skiing a good line, not getting late, not dropping your  pole, etc.)

As for the hotboxing, I suppose its the same answer. We really don't know but the ski techs do it.  Probably now and then is OK but not every day

Got your email about grabbing a drink at Bristol.  I've put the booze on the shelf but will track you down when I am there
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
so between wax layers do you just scrape or do the full brush thing and then do the next layer of wax
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
So basically when you do initial prep, you wax and full scrape and brush, and then repeat.  If you are not hot boxing, you can do this 10-15 times to build up wax in the ski

For race prep, wax and then full brush, and then Cera, and brush
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
sorry for my ignorance - how do you put cera on? is it rubbed in and then brushed?  is it a paste or a stick?

can it do it before in my shop or do you do it on race day since we are coming from so far away

if it makes a second difference that could be the difference between going to Eastern's and Stratton so I guess its worth it especially since its going to be so warm and wet.  Which Cera do I want to use if I go get some for this weekend?
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
No apologies necessary. This forum should be for all of us to help the young rippers get where they want to be.  

In my opinion, the J4 (U14) level is the best age group for these kids before it gets crazy competitive with a bunch of lunatic parents who have delusions that their kids are going to make the Worldcup or even ski D1.

All parents need to have perspective.  My kids have been successful - Easterns, JOs, Can Am and even raced some NorAms but I have never pressured them or believed they were going to the Olympics (except when my son won every J6 race for years in a row)

So, on Cera, there are two kinds. Powder and block.  With the powder, the best way to do it is cover the ski and iron it in at like 160 degrees.  Wait five minutes and brush out.  When do I do it? Honestly I get up at 5 am before the race and do it that morning.  I wax the night before, let it sit over night and then scrape and brush the wax and apply the Cera.  Of course, I am nuts

The block can be rubbed or melted on, waxed in and then brushed.  I don't like it as much

If you have to do it at the mountain and don't have the ability to iron, you can use either powder or block and use a cork to get it into the base and then brush out.

I hope this helps
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Thanks for the info.  I only have the one son and I was not a racer myself so we are going thru this for the first time and the learning curve for the parents can be steep.  Trying to figure out how that points system works in a couple of years gives me a headache.

I'm not delusional about where Double Z (what my son's coach calls him and I kind of like it) could go in this sport.  He has been fast since he started racing and particularly this year has continued to out perform what my modest projections were.  That he was the best first yr in the Mt council was really unexpected.  I don't have delusions about the World Cup but hey his odds are better than most kids at this point that aspire to play in the NFL or NBA etc.  He is really good at this, he is really enjoying it and the process so we are going to within our budget give him a chance to chase his dream.  I only have the one kid but I have no idea how families with many kids can afford it.

This sport really builds character having to deal with adversity and you get to travel and do some things that other kids don't get to do.  It is a great life building experience.  

Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
I my opinion, correct on all counts

Skiracing is a unique sport.  We have sacrificed enormously from a financial standpoint to give all of them a great experience, but it has helped shape them into the people they are today and I wouldn't take a dollar back.

I was also not a racer (frankly didn't ski until they started and they would tell you I still can't ski ), so all I could do was try to give them the tools to pursue their dreams and succeed.  As they say, you can't take it with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
In reply to this post by Babsski
Babs

Did you guys consider Northwood for your son?  How did you settle on GMVS?

Reply | Threaded
|

Babsski
My son grew up skiing with AJ Ginnis and when we heard that he was going to go to GMVS, we then decided that our son would go as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
Gotcha. Isn't he Tom Fleming's cousin?
Reply | Threaded
|

Babsski
HH,
Doesn't ring a bell. Who is Tom Flemming?
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
He was the guy in that avalanche in St Moritz.... Tragic
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
So I need the low down on Bristol Mt.  What is the lay out of the race trail?  What are the best viewing spots?  Should I ski or just hike?  How is the skiing there now is it worth it to buy a lift ticket?  What are the crowds like 1st weekend of March?
Not that its relevant this year, but don't ski in the trees. They treat it like some kind of crime. We got run down by the gestapo who actually threatened to call the law
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
In reply to this post by hunthollowmtn1
Tommy

Reply | Threaded
|

Babsski
oh ok. Rest in Peace Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

PlymGirl
In reply to this post by hunthollowmtn1
HH & Babs ---

AJ's actually an old friend of mine (we went to Mt Hood together every year up until 2012) and Northwood was actually his top pick for school initially. Loved the idea of skiing on an olympic mountiain but the main reason he ended up attending GMVS was because he had family close by. Obviously a good choice - he's on the team.

That being said ---- Bunch of kids at Plym came out of NWS and absolutely shred. You get to train on the Olympic mountain. After skiing ice face every day, any kid can rip every mountain. I also raced against NWS and they dominated the top ten consistency. A lot of people send all their kids to Northwood after one goes so you know it must be good  --- I know one family that sent three kids; To be frank - the kids were kind of  pre Northwood - but the school works wonders and all three of them ended up being top 5 in every FIS race, raced Norams, and took years off to ski with the team.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Good to hear about NWS

The new head coach JP has really impressed me.

I totally agree with training at WF.  This place teaches you things by itself. I've watched race kids from smaller mountains get to the top of Mt run and ski down to the course and try the arc and park thing that works at small hills and after about 3 turns they are going 40 and the throw them sideways and they are toast from there the rest of the day.

I didn't grow up here but have been teaching here for 16 years. My son is lucky to have skied here his whole life starting at 21 months old. I wish we had more snow consistently but I firmly believe its the best Mt in the east.
Reply | Threaded
|

PlymGirl
Same ----- I've heard the difference between JP and Guy is not even worth comparing. The kids I know from NWS (back in the day, given) had guy as a coach and call him a ham face. My good friends younger brother goes to NWS now though, and loves JP.

Just slapped a coat of 7 on my skis ----- is it me or is the temperature going the wrong way lol?!!?!??!? looking forward to the day we're throwing 8 on .... but then again that signals the end of the season approaching  

Good luck to your young ripper this weekend coach~~!!! looks like good snow out at Bristol...................... SEND IT!!!!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I am NOT a racer, tho for years I've dabbled in running gates and thoroughly enjoy it.

I rarely wax my skis or even tune them.....they have chunks missing, gouges, scratches, etc etc and it doesn't bother me. I just go skiing.

That said, I have a HUGE appreciation for all the hard work and dedication you racers go thru to compete at such a high level. One of our crew, back in the day, won the JO's and was on the team ----- I love hearing him tell us stories of his racing career.

RIP ON RIPPERS --- that is all
1 ... 45678910 ... 16