304 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Racing Kids!

Harvey
Administrator
Welcome lady rippers. Babsski, I would love to see your avatar 700 px wide if you are so inclined.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Babsski
I thought was the other way around
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PlymGirl
In reply to this post by Z
Coach -

Re the wax - like I said, all about personal comfort level.  I do race at the D1 level so maybe my input on wax isn't applicable for a younger age group.

Your kid looks like he can arch the ski and isn't afraid to throw it down to rip it up - equally as important if not more!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Babsski
Coach Z,
I guess it all depends on personal preference. I personally have a son that just graduated gmvs and is now skiing D1 for UNH and he was always told by his coach to wax CH for warm temps.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
What I have read is flouro is for wetter snow and CH is for drier snow.  Warm temps would mean wet right?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Agree coach. Never heard of CH when warm.  Warmer temps bring wetter snow,  hence the HF.  CH only for training. Having said that, GMVS know their stuff.  Would love a more technical explanation.  

At the end of the day however, don't get suckered into $100 wax unless the kid is top JO material.  Brushing is key.  And oh, fundamentals, tactics, and the right line.  CH4 and LF6 care for 90% of the season in the Dacks.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
What I read is with really dry cold snow you can race on the lower number CH series.  Swix even mentions this in on its wax manual.  

This year has trended to the warm end of the wax scale with only one race being really cold and the others I've used LF8 or 10.  My son has been close to the podium a couple of times and always top 10.  Next year as a 2nd year he should be vying for the podium often so I will look to set up my wax game as the tenths of a sec will start to matter.

How long do you need to brush?  How do you know you have brushed enough?  Should I invest in a roto brush and if so which one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Brush until a) no more white powder coming off and b) the surface is very shiny without c) overbrushing and therefore pulling out all the wax.  Its a fine line but after a few times you can tell.  
YES to the roto-brush.  Went there JIII age and beyond.  Especially when doing 3 pair of races skis some weekends.  

Use the Swix set up. three items get the hooded handle/spindle, and the blue nylon roto-brush, and the black horsehaid roto-brush.   Then a dedicated cordless drill with 2 batteries.  Ok that is 4 items.  You'll need both batteries.   Should be able to get all for under $300 including a drill.   Cordless drill ok to use in hotel rooms and if he is racing till graduation, less than $50 a year against the time saved is an easy sell.   Check a Swix dealer for specials and sales like HPC locally.
Reply | Threaded
|

PlymGirl
Coach -

When you're brushing at least four pairs of skis every weekend the ole arms get tired!! Roto brush is a life saver.

I  have the blue nylon and horse hair as Hoser has suggested, but in addition I also have the wild board, brass, and steel. Also love the soft fleece brush - gives the base a gentle hug after the hard core brushes. I use all swix, of course.

Brush until no more wax comes out. When you see the base lines clear and shiny ----- thats when you know your work is done.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I've heard that the steel and brass rotos can be dangerous to the skis when new or improper usage.

Should I get a equal to my white nylon hand brush?

When do you need to use a respirator?  With any roto brush of just when dealing with HF wax?  What about LF?

Thanks for all the info.  This thread is becoming very helpful.
Reply | Threaded
|

Babsski
Steel and Brass come in handy when you have a lot of dirt in your base and when you have just waxed 4
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
Don't be fooled by the Rotos.  They do not solve all problems.  You will find that if you Roto, it actually does not get the wax out.

So, what is the answer?

I have it

Roto with stiff nylon, then brush with stiff nylon brush

Then, Roto with horsehair, then brush with horsehair

Then, Roto with blue, and finish with blue brush

This process takes about an hour and a half, but those skis will rip

Reply | Threaded
|

PlymGirl
Coach -

Babs got it right - muddy condish and 4 is what I use the steel/brass for. Never forget the first time I waxed 4 - took me almost 5 hours to get all the wax off with just a horse hair!!!!! steel gets the job done quick. Re when to use the brushes - I use them on every kind of wax. Always make sure to wash the brushes though, so you're not transferring wax to the base from old times. I like to use the swix mist spray ------ though maybe just a wash under the faucet will do the trick. Have you heard that you are not supposed to use roto on HF????????? Curious

Honestly - if you dont want to spend the extra $$$$ - white nylon is for the end of brushing so if you don't have a problem with finishing the job the old fashion way, just keep the hand.

Re the respirator - personally I always try to wax and tune outside - being out in the element gets me in the mind set for race day!!! so I dont really get exposed to the fumes and what not - but if it is making you dizzy - perhaps look into it. Im not that familiar other than knowing they are becoming more popular. Interested in knowing if anyone knows more???

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Not sure if I have the skillz but do you guys want a separate thread for waxing?

Props to Coach for asking to have this thread broken out from Kid Stoke.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
In reply to this post by PlymGirl
PlymGirl

This is all good, and it probably doesn't matter now that you are graduating (unless you are going to try to make the Team) but what I have done is have separate sets of brushes for training and race prep.  That way you don't get CH garbage in the same brush that you use for HF and Cera.  Remember, Hundys matter
Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
In reply to this post by Harvey
I don't think we need another thread; all of this is hand in glove
Reply | Threaded
|

PlymGirl
In reply to this post by hunthollowmtn1
HH -

Wow - that is a great idea. Kicking myself for never thinking of race and train brushes. UGHHHHH! Every hundy matters!!!!! Good for the young rippers to know though! Everyone - I think HH has it right with the two sets of brushes!!!

Funny you say the team though ---- have been contemplating doing a program out west ----- not sure if I am ready to give up on the dream just yet ---- stay tuned.......

Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
PG

I have a vivid memory of when my oldest kid started out and she made it to JOs, which was at Gore that year, and I waxed CH for a GS down twister, and her coach asking me if I had put glue on her skis...  Brutal

Went HF and Cera after that
Reply | Threaded
|

PlymGirl
HH -

Hey --- you live & you learn with wax!!! like with anything!!! The art of waxing is no joke and takes time to perfect!! Michelangelo didn't paint the Sistine Chapel in one day am I right!!!!!!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

hunthollowmtn1
In reply to this post by Babsski
Babs

Excellent point.  My son basically never cleans his bases (Kids!!!), and when I get a hold of those skis, I go heavy on the steel and brass to clean them out.

I also built a hotbox in my basement and I bake those suckers for like two days after I give a good brushing.

Makes em good as new
1 ... 3456789 ... 16