|

Re: Ski day screw-ups

ml242
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ADmiKe
Forgot outerlayer pants back in town - skied whiteface in jeans.  Rock bottom point in my ski career.  At least they were canvas jeans, not denim.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Getting caught in a blizzard at 4000ft and having to bail in whiteout conditions. Then having to push through conifer jail for 3-4 hrs.  A 50ft slide on an iceflow into a creek bed in the dark. Followed by headlamp skiing into a barb wire fence. Proceeded by realization that we were on a 1/2 frozen pond now at 10pm. Then getting to the vehicle with car alarm on and no fob to turn it off

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Yea skiing with young kids is tough. Can be a lot of work keeping it together. It's amazing how much stuff skiing takes, fills up the vehicle quick.

But hey, smarts saved the day for you Jeff ! Bet you'll be double,,,,, make that triple checking from now on.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That's so easy to do with kids, so much gear it's ridiculous sometimes. I once left Steamboat with friends to go ski early season powder up on Berthoud Pass and I forgot my boots! Ugh.

A month or so back I left my beacon on all night after a day out, the next day of touring it went dead mid tour, DOH!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Here's one for ya. I know a guy who's family (7 kids) used to pile in their station wagon and go skiing. He said if somebody forgot their gloves or such they sat in the lodge all day. No cell phone entertainment back then....they survived.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Snowballs wrote
Here's one for ya. I know a guy who's family (7 kids) used to pile in their station wagon and go skiing. He said if somebody forgot their gloves or such they sat in the lodge all day. No cell phone entertainment back then....they survived.
Mormons or Catholics? Who the heck would willingly have 7 kids?!? That's nuts!
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
I used to layout my kids ski pants and jackets the night before. Kids would wake up put the ski pants on and get in car. Sure enough we get to gore and one of them has no ski pants on.  Of course they steped over them to grab there jacket. I made her ski all day in sweat pants. Then there was the time someone's ski boots  were home sitting next to the door. Good times.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Getting caught in a blizzard at 4000ft and having to bail in whiteout conditions. Then having to push through conifer jail for 3-4 hrs.  A 50ft slide on an iceflow into a creek bed in the dark. Followed by headlamp skiing into a barb wire fence. Proceeded by realization that we were on a 1/2 frozen pond now at 10pm. Then getting to the vehicle with car alarm on and no fob to turn it off
That's not a screw-up - that is an adventure:

Yvon Choinard wrote
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.”
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I recall a ski trip to Jay Peak with a few folks who might happen to post on this forum from time to time. One morning, we decided to explore a little easy-access backcountry, and set up a car shuttle on the 242. Once assembled at the top of Jay Pass, one of the most stoked guys I had ever seen realized that he had left his boots in his car, now parked at the bottom of the run. No big deal, he got a drive back to the bottom and the boots were retrieved. Things got much funnier when this same fellow began skinning up the trail and started complaining about how much trouble he was having. Further investigation revealed that he had put one of his skins on backwards. Darn twin tips!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Sick Bird Rider wrote
 Further investigation revealed that he had put one of his skins on backwards. Darn twin tips!
I've seen that happen too

Also know someone who put together their skins backwards. They reversed the tip loops and tail attachments. Kind of funny to watch the 1st time he tried to use them
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Excellent idea for a thread.   While I cannot think of any in my family at this point....

This weekend we helped our a family friend's son.   They have 3 boys, One forgot his outer jacket and pants.   As an aside, that same boy wears my son's hand me down helmet, skis, poles and boots.    He is my son's age but my daughter's size and on the mountain race team.   It was my daughters first ski weekend so I brought several coats and pants in case she had a "girl moment".  I offered her extra pink pants and girly pink jacket.    He jumped on the opportunity to wear them because it was 20 degrees and very windy all day.   The boys tried making fun of him early on but as a good skier, this 10 year old confident child just said...."try to keep up with this girly boy".  

Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Not my screw up, but my younger son's screw up. He left his boots in the condo at Northstar and had to rent at Alpine. Worst thing was he told me he liked Alpines packed out POSs better than his month old Nordica Hot Rods I recently purchased him. Needless to say, I was sweating quite a bit in the rental area when I adjusted his bindings, and I remember turning a few heads of folks listening in on our discussion. I recall my blood pressure going up as we burnt time I wasn't planning to burn. It all worked out in the end and we enjoyed the day.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Ok, my screw up....

Left my friends gloves on the hood of his Suby Brat and he drove off to the ski area with them flying off, not knowing they were laying in the street. Not good.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
stood to close to fire pit on WF base lodge deck and burned the back of my ski pants off from my ass to my boots!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
We did a ski involving spotting a car and the owner of the spotted car left the keys in the other car at starting point
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Sick Bird Rider wrote
 Further investigation revealed that he had put one of his skins on backwards. Darn twin tips!
I've seen that happen too

Also know someone who put together their skins backwards. They reversed the tip loops and tail attachments. Kind of funny to watch the 1st time he tried to use them

hahahahahah!

We had a friend do that last year at WF.  He made it all the way to top of summit express.  Soaking wet from sweat.  We were like, "what the hell is wrong with you?"  He was all, "these skins sux!  I keep sliding backwards.  I had to side step every steep pitch."  

Upon inspection they were on backwards!!!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
ScottyJack wrote
He was all, "these skins sux!  I keep sliding backwards.  I>
Yeah this dude said the same thing

I also saw him attempt to take off and not realize he never locked his heels down on his AT bindings. Face plant city
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
skimore wrote
ScottyJack wrote
He was all, "these skins sux!  I keep sliding backwards.  I>
Yeah this dude said the same thing

I also saw him attempt to take off and not realize he never locked his heels down on his AT bindings. Face plant city
but have you ever watch someone burn the gortex off the back of their pants?  people even said your pants are smoking and I was all that's just the steam from them drying out..... OMG, I burned my pants!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!