Skiing Safety

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skiing Safety

PeeTex
With all this talk about how dangerous skiing is I was thinking there may be great market potential for a new product. Wanted to get your opinions and possibly ideas.

I am thinking smart protective outer wear for skiiers. We all now know about the glare ice at Jay Peak, I am thinking the new ski suit should have sensors that detect ice and deploy a blow torch to soften it up ahead of you skis.

For those dangerous trees, how about collision avoidance radar with a deployable air bag that prevents injury on impact.

For those bindings cranked up above 5, double power ejectors in case of empending knee damage, would deploy a parachute to soften the fall, parachute could also deploy if you start skiing over 15 mph - skiing fast is not safe and only for elete racers you know.

Then there is the waffle dispenser and of course we can't forget the go pro web cam.

Any other ideas?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Skiing Safety

skimore
PeeTex wrote
 double power ejectors in case of empending knee damage
My buddy needs those

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I like the blowtorch idea.

Or maybe you develop a system that uses sonar to identify any obstacles than come with a specified safety zone. It would use photon torpedos or maybe a Speed Racer style buzz saw to remove any trees or other skiers who are deemed a threat.

Sounds: Boom! Boom! Boom! (cue mushroom cloud)
Skier on the deck: There goes Harv skiing the trees again.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
PeeTex wrote
Any other ideas?
Sure. Make the blow touch function so it will also lite weed bowls for skiing in Colorado. Have goggles that provide sick ski video the wearer can watch in case conditions suck. Have ski poles that dispense lattes to go with the waffles. Helmets could have audio that provides verbal abuse and will actually argue with you so people don't miss the internet while skiing.

Design a fanny pack that actually looks like a fanny so those who still insist on wearing one can now fit into a current trend, that being the hip hop trend of a big booty. It could also twerk.

Above all, such a suit should automatically provide and upload TRs w/pics to keep Harv happy.

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
PeeTex wrote
With all this talk about how dangerous skiing is I was thinking there may be great market potential for a new product. Wanted to get your opinions and possibly ideas.

I am thinking smart protective outer wear for skiiers. We all now know about the glare ice at Jay Peak, I am thinking the new ski suit should have sensors that detect ice and deploy a blow torch to soften it up ahead of you skis.

For those dangerous trees, how about collision avoidance radar with a deployable air bag that prevents injury on impact.

For those bindings cranked up above 5, double power ejectors in case of empending knee damage, would deploy a parachute to soften the fall, parachute could also deploy if you start skiing over 15 mph - skiing fast is not safe and only for elete racers you know.

Then there is the waffle dispenser and of course we can't forget the go pro web cam.

Any other ideas?
Look at some leg fracture stats before/after releasable bindings were introduced. You see to be not very bright and enjoy spending time in a hospital in rehab or worse. A spiral tib/fib fracture is no joke. Cranking your din up past recommended is a idiot move.
Every single year almost it seems people die skiing and countless number of injuries. Join a ski patrol or listen to theri radio at any big resort. It makes sense to reduce risk as much as possible.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PowderAssassin wrote
Cranking your din up past recommended is a idiot move.
Do you like losing skis under all this Powder you claim to be skiing? Or are you one of those guys that attaches ribbons to the bindings?
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
MOAR Powder Ass!
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Do you like losing skis under all this Powder you claim to be skiing? Or are you one of those guys that attaches ribbons to the bindings?
Better than breaking my leg. I'll search through the pow.

On top of it, I barely ever fall. I'm incredibly athletic and a natural skier. My first year EVER skiing(30+ sessions on diamonds halfway through), I fell 3 times. I never even needed a lesson. Pow was easy from day 1. Brutal on thin skis with the quad burn, but then I got my hellbents and it was all good.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
PowderAssassin wrote
On top of it, I barely ever fall. I'm incredibly athletic and a natural skier.
This is awesome!  No way he's for real but hope springs eternal.

MOAR Powderass!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
PowderAssassin wrote
Look at some leg fracture stats before/after releasable bindings were introduced. You see to be not very bright and enjoy spending time in a hospital in rehab or worse. A spiral tib/fib fracture is no joke. Cranking your din up past recommended is a idiot move.
Every single year almost it seems people die skiing and countless number of injuries. Join a ski patrol or listen to theri radio at any big resort. It makes sense to reduce risk as much as possible.
Oh - I am looking at all those accident stats, that's why I am researching great ideas to make the sport injury free. You did not provide any ideas, I am sure someone of your mental and physical capacity, not to mention your awesome skiing ability could give us some great ideas on how we could make this sport better. All this talk of hitting trees, blowing out knees on hard pack snow and lack of powder in the east has got me so scared I am thinking about selling all my gear and hiding under the bed. But I would rather be proactive and make the sport safer for all of us, so pony up some good ideas.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PowderAssassin wrote
*dick swinging*
You sound like you're really good.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Of course he is, he has Hellbents. Backseat the shit out of 'em and cruise easily across the low-angle, wide-as-a-California-highway trails and stay the fawk away from those perilous trees. You'll never fall that way!
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
tBatt wrote
Of course he is, he has Hellbents. Backseat the shit out of 'em and cruise easily across the low-angle, wide-as-a-California-highway trails and stay the fawk away from those perilous trees. You'll never fall that way!
Hell yeah!  Except you don't need to backseat em/stay on your heels, which I love. They float that well and I have the bindings mounted back a little. I never ski switch.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
mattchuck2 wrote
Or are you one of those guys that attaches ribbons to the bindings?
When I on occasions ski Alpine in western pow I am one of those guys who tie some surveyors tape to my bindings. Has made for a quick find on steep terrain. Unlike PA, I have been know to fall on occasion.

Is this like the guy who doesn't remove the dork disk from the rear cassette?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
mattchuck2 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
...... are you one of those guys that attaches ribbons to the bindings?
Ribbons ? WTH> Where's MC2 going with this?..

mattchuck2 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
*dick swinging*
You sound like you're really good.
That's where he was going....Talk about double entendre. Looks like SOMEBODY switches. There's probably dating sites for that MC2.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
PeeTex wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Or are you one of those guys that attaches ribbons to the bindings?
When I on occasions ski Alpine in western pow I am one of those guys who tie some surveyors tape to my bindings. Has made for a quick find on steep terrain. Unlike PA, I have been know to fall on occasion.

Is this like the guy who doesn't remove the dork disk from the rear cassette?

Heh, MC2 just gave me flack for that on my bike.

To answer your question, they're referred to as "beater cords" (or more commonly known as powder cords) out at Alta and I'm sure other places. The theory behind that is you shouldn't lose a ski. Turn 'em up to 11 and spiral the fk outta your tib fib, or don't fall. Gotta be core, bro.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Before you spiral skiing high dins,  take the DD off so if the chain derails it can lock up your wheel and toss you into the trees, rocks, pavement or under the wheels of a passing car.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
To answer your question, they're referred to as "beater cords" (or more commonly known as powder cords) out at Alta and I'm sure other places. The theory behind that is you shouldn't lose a ski. Turn 'em up to 11 and spiral the fk outta your tib fib, or don't fall. Gotta be core, bro.
Yea - and you know, one thing I love about Alta Pow is that you can ski with more abandon and not worry about a fall, even on the steeped terrain, your not going far and it's like landing in a feather bed. I keep my Dork Cords.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
I firmly believe in Safety Meetings.
And you are more likely to hurt yourself with those stupid ribbons. When your ski comes off it is good to get away from it. I'd rather look for my ski than have a heavy, sharp object tied to me when I'm tumbling down the hill. And I set my bindings on 12 to make sure I don't lose them because there are times when I would rather have the spiral fracture than have my ski fall off. I have big, metal Marker bindings that go up to 18 so that I don't have to max them out. On the other hand, I lost a whole DIN setting of weight this year so I may turn them down a couple notches.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
lolkl wrote
I firmly believe in Safety Meetings.
And you are more likely to hurt yourself with those stupid ribbons. When your ski comes off it is good to get away from it. I'd rather look for my ski than have a heavy, sharp object tied to me when I'm tumbling down the hill. And I set my bindings on 12 to make sure I don't lose them because there are times when I would rather have the spiral fracture than have my ski fall off. I have big, metal Marker bindings that go up to 18 so that I don't have to max them out. On the other hand, I lost a whole DIN setting of weight this year so I may turn them down a couple notches.
Safety meetings are always important.

Powder cords, however, aren't tied to your feet. It's just a big streamer that comes off of your ski that you tuck the loose end into your pant cuff or whatever so you have a trail to follow to your ski. Thing about that, though, is the ski is almost always farther downhill than your expect.