90 messages Options
1234 ... 9
billyymc billyymc
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Skiing and Risk

Dougski wrote
Skiing is a dangerous sport.
No, statistically it is not. In 2012, according to NSAA figures, there were 54 ski/snowboard deaths, out of 9.8 million participants, for 5.5 deaths per 1 millions participants. So about 1/2 a death per 100,000.

So I'm not trying to make this a gun post, but in 2013 there were over 11,000 homicides by firearm in the U.S. With a population around 315 million that year that works out to about 3.5 gun homicides per 100,000 people in the U.S.

Your post is terribly alarmist, not to mention incorrect and ridiculous.

For three people to die at one relatively small ski area in one year, is either a statistical anomaly or something else. It's worth looking into to understand which.

campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

Re: Skier deaths at Hunter Mt

I've missed work due to injuries only twice in my life. Both times were injuries from skiing. So I'd say skiing is a dangerous sport.
billyymc billyymc
Reply |

campgottagopee wrote
I've missed work due to injuries only twice in my life. Both times were injuries from skiing. So I'd say skiing is a dangerous sport.
American's edumacational system ladies and gentlemen.

Statistics. Half the people in Virgil don't understand them, and the other 75% don't believe them.
Reply |

Don't worry dude.. I understand what you were saying but there's more to it than stats.

Skiing is a dangerous sport. Tell me again it isn't?
billyymc billyymc
Reply |

campgottagopee wrote
Don't worry dude.. I understand what you were saying but there's more to it than stats.

It isn't. Little kids routinely negotiate their way down steep terrain. People with all kinds of disabilities can ski and some quite well. There are much much much more dangerous activities that people engage in every day.

Skiing statistically is not a dangerous sport. I'm not making it up. Personal perception doesn't replace math and science.
billyymc billyymc
Reply |

In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Camp, you're a hunter. Tell me - is hunting a dangerous sport?
Reply |

Damn right it is!

We're walking around with loaded guns.

Stats be damned!
Reply |

In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
campgottagopee wrote

It isn't. Little kids routinely negotiate their way down steep terrain. People with all kinds of disabilities can ski and some quite well. There are much much much more dangerous activities that people engage in every day.

Skiing statistically is not a dangerous sport. I'm not making it up. Personal perception doesn't replace math and science.
And stats don't replace reality.

The reality is that skiing is a dangerous sport
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Camp, you're a hunter. Tell me - is hunting a dangerous sport?
This is actually a good analog. Even though it’s statistically safe, there are obvious dangers involved and the consequences of an accident can be extreme. Numbers don’t tell the whole story. As is often the case, it’s possible that you’re both right.

And of course, if it’s somebody close to you, it changes things considerably.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply |

Brownski wrote
  As is often the case, it’s possible that you’re both right.

This is the inTraWebZ where only one person can be right!!  
1234 ... 9