classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
59 messages Options
frk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skiing in the woods

frk
Good time of year to walk your favorite glade and pick up deadfall ,etc. you will thank yourself this winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This is going to sound weird but I want our "steepest" run to bump up.  It's certainly not steep enough for any kind of deep pow, so I thought it would be fun to bump it in ultra light gear.

I'll probably need help tracking it out.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
What is "our steepest run" We talking  Plattekill? We need to do more than one glade day this fall.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Ethan Snow wrote
What is "our steepest run" We talking  Plattekill? We need to do more than one glade day this fall.
I believe Harv is talking about 6-turn hill or some other aspect on his property.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yes sorry for the random obscurity.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Just as Shaman warned the woods were a bit sketch. But so nice too. Can't decide whether to break it all out this PM or ski the old farm clearing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
6 turn hill on your property what kind of vertical you have there? Sounds fun especially in woods.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Vert is probably less than 200.

I shared with friends on FB as most of those live in the area and might be able to help.

A hunter postholed a pretty good section of one of my trails and it bummed me out. Kerplung kerplung past dozens of yellow plastic discs that say "Ski Trail" at eye height.

WTF.  I repeat WTF.

I wouldn't be surprised if this hunter is on my land every November, and I'm noticing now because we have good natural snow.  

I need to come to an agreement. I'd like one or two to hunt my land.

Ski trails demand respect!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I was gonna say this in the other thread.  Most likely a generational native hunting where his grandpa first taught him woods skills.  Just hasnt been the snow for you to discover his presence.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yes. I am not looking to bust. I just want to work it out.  

I would like a reliable hunter. If the ground is bare I want him to walk the trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Do you know the guy, or is he a poacher?

If you know him, easy to deal with.  Just explain the situation.

A poacher, less so.

As you might infer, I do a lot of this type of skiing and I often run into postholers.  I usually give them a little talk - not in a dickish, condescending sort of way, just trying to help them see my POV and share the snow.

If it's a wide trail, I ski right around or makes turns crossing over them - not really a huge deal.  But if it's a private trail, I can see the disgust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Could have been lost or tracking a wounded deer. Could have been tracking a live deer too though.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If I knew who it was I would address it directly.  I said poacher but I'm not sure if I am talking about game or pow :)

So many of my FB friends live in NC/North River I thought one of them might say, "oh I bet that is so and so, he hunts that whole area" or whatever.

Didn't look to me like he was tracking anything, but what do I know.

Johnny you're a hunter. Would guys you hunt with (that aren't skiers) walk on a ski trail?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Easiest way to deal with poachers is introduce another hunter (whom you give permission to hunt).  He/she'll police your land.

Find out who hunts in that area and ask them if they want to hunt your land.  Tell them the only catch is they stay off your ski trails when there's snow and keep poachers out.  I bet you won't have this issue in years to come.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
If you don’t have posted signs up then you get what you get. If they were to bag a deer they will drag it out on any convienient trail - they may even drive an ATV in to get it if your trails are wide enough. I have seen them make a mess out of ski trails on state and private property with ATVs
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Cunningstunts wrote
Easiest way to deal with poachers is introduce another hunter (whom you give permission to hunt).  He/she'll police your land. Find out who hunts in that area and ask them if they want to hunt your land.  Tell them the only catch is they stay off your ski trails when there's snow and keep poachers out.  I bet you won't have this issue in years to come.

I know this and it has been a goal. I've been looking for a couple years.  Admittedly not looking that hard.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Harvey wrote
I know this and said it up above. I've been looking for a couple years.  Admittedly not looking that hard.
OK - gotcha now.  I was confused by your first post because it sounded like you had asked this guy to hunt your land and he was just thrashing around.

I never saw where you said it was a poacher until I asked, but I saw the posts where other people asked.  Apparently you must have stated that on FB.

Sorry, I can only keep up with so much
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Johnny you're a hunter. Would guys you hunt with (that aren't skiers) walk on a ski trail?
Only if it's public land designated for multi use. Unfortunately there's hunters that don't care though.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
proper multi user trail etiquette from Saturday's slide: fat bike-hikers- hunters / ski track / deer track

unfortunately this section was short - my ski track was postholed alot on the return loop by both hikers and a big deer. down here most folks just don't know any better...
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Some people are the worst though... not only are they ignorant, they are indignant.

I'd estimate 95% people who see a broken ski track will walk right in it if no one is around.

I'd also estimate 100% of dogs will walk and poop on said track.

I usually just ski elsewhere when this is the case or break a new track.