classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
59 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skiing in the woods

Chris
Cunningstunts wrote
Some people are the worst though... not only are they ignorant, they are indignant.

I'd estimate 95% people who see a broken ski track will walk right in it if no one is around.

I'd also estimate 100% of dogs will walk and poop on said track.

I usually just ski elsewhere when this is the case or break a new track.
My dog don't shit in no track, doesn't even shit in the yard.  No shit.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Chris wrote
My dog don't shit in no track, doesn't even shit in the yard.  No shit.
Yeah, I had a dog like that.

She only shit in the house...
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
People and their sense of entitlement is astonishing.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Post up some friendly educational signs Harv. If it’s your land and you’re agreeable they don’t have an argument.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Chris
Ha! opie was chit in his yard either!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
My dog won't poop on trail. Only in the woods. One of the best things I ever did was to train him to shit in the woods!

Though, after he's done shitting, he may run in the track!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Marcski wrote
My dog won't poop on trail. Only in the woods. One of the best things I ever did was to train him to shit in the woods!

Though, after he's done shitting, he may run in the track!
Well I've got one up on you, not only will my cat shit in the woods she will dig a pit to shit in and cover it up and I didn't even have to train her to do it.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The mountain lions round here do that too.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
raisingarizona wrote
The mountain lions round here do that too.
I've had dogs and they are great but a dog will love you easily. A cat takes a long time to develop a relationship with. They are independent, but they communicate with you. Once you understand their language (and it takes a lot of time) you realize just how complex they are. They can be incredibly polite, they ask for things and they thank you verbally when you provide them. They are easily traumatized which sometimes will last for their life time. They are independent and they expect you to realize and respect that. I have lost two cats in my adult life, both were great - both knew that it was there time and wondered off into the woods never to be seen again. My current cat - a Maine coon is going on 15 years and I will cry very hard when she goes as I love her dearly.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Woods in North River were fun tonight, skied with BRLKED.

Only a few inches of cover but it was bone china with 2 inches of velvet on top.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Where is the like button?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Got out despite my car trying to thwart me.  A dead battery this morning made me have to postpone until later this afternoon.  Probably better.  More snow.  Skied close to home.  Woods were a little thin, wider trails better but not as fun.  Glades no go.  Farmed a few  turns in a field.  That felt nice.  Tomorrow should be better if this storm keeps delivering.  Hoping for at least 12+ at 2000'.  Also hope to try the Objectives for the first time

Got to try out another piece of kit that is really nice.  If you ski NNN-BC switching out the black for the red flexors really makes them more fun to tele and I didn't notice a real detriment for touring.  It doesn't make it an active tele binding, and it never will be, but it's a noticeable difference.

Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Sorry pics aren't better but my phone was having trouble with the cold.  Should have brought a real camera anyway, it was unreal out today.

Went out skied some areas I cleared this fall today.  Also tried my objectives for the first time.  I had a great time.  We have 12-14 inches of really sugary, cold snow with almost no base, so skiing off-trail is a little sketchy.  I definitely skimmed some logs and sticks.  Nothing serious though - was totally skiable.

Woods on my way to the top looking back at my skin track.

Objectives back at the car.  My phone froze about 45 min into my skiing and then decided to work again when I got back to the car.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So pumped. Dicey, maybe 5 inches of semi melty corn. Within a few minutes of getting here, Neve is like DAD can we go out for a ski?  In the dark, marginal conditions, headlamp ski, her idea.

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
It looks like you were filming the Blair Witch Project.
This!!

Back in the day, my friends and I skied Jockey Hollow at night.  Totally illegal since it was a national park and closed after sundown.  I don't know how I managed to not break a bone.
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Peter Minde wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
It looks like you were filming the Blair Witch Project.
This!!

Back in the day, my friends and I skied Jockey Hollow at night.  Totally illegal since it was a national park and closed after sundown.  I don't know how I managed to not break a bone.
 Forgive me for being so clueless but are we talking about XC skiing after dark in the trees with a headlamp (not unusual)... or downhill?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
XCD. Nordic with hills.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
XCD. Nordic with hills.
This video shows XCD dreamland, in the Jura Mountains on the France/Switzerland border. Typical XCD gear: lightweight metal edged skis with fishscales, three-pin bindings, light plastic or beefy leather boots. Note two of the skiers choking up on their long XC poles for the descent.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Beautiful night here in Johnsburg.  Great snow.