Sleep in Whiteface or Gore Parking lot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sleep in Whiteface or Gore Parking lot

evantful
As the weather gets warmer in the next few weeks Im thinking about a trip to Whiteface or Gore.

Anyone know the policy or have experience about sleeping in your car in the parking lots. I can see in the winter with falling snow and plowing they wouldn't be keen on it, but how about late season?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sleep in Whiteface or Gore Parking lot

campgottagopee
Better to ask forgiveness than for permission

Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
In reply to this post by evantful
The gates may be closed depending when you pull up.

In the past, I would simply pull into a nearby hotel lot and pass out.    Slept a few times at the lake placid jumping center lot as well.     Love the Subaru.    
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
About 15 years ago my dad, brother, and I did this in our old Chevy conversion van to really ski bum it.  Cops rolled up on us, ended up questioning my dad if he was feeding us, if we were his kids, etc and told us we couldn't sleep in the car...I think we relocated to the Grand Union parking lot in LP at the time over my the HoJos...

I don't see what the big deal would be.  I'd say go for it until someone tells you otherwise.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If money is the issue:

http://www.northcreekheadsinbeds.com/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
The Subaru Motel.  There's always a room available, and you can't beat the rates.  If you're 6 feet or under, the Outback is very comfy.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
It's fun to stir the pot..
The way I see it..If you can afford the car/insurance/gas/89.00 lift ticket at wf/ and the 500dollars worth of ski gear.
you can pony up for 50-70$ room which comes with a toilet and shower...

just saying.. with peace and love
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
I hear you Jason, but when you're 28, saving for a large down payment on a house so I don't have to have a 30 year mortgage, every little bit counts. Its all opportunity cost and at some point you draw a line in the sand of what you can afford, and can't.

I can afford my diesel VW Wagon and its insurance along with midweek late season Ski3 discounted lift tickets, but when adding in two nights of lodging at $100-140 doubles the cost of a single trip it becomes hard for me to justify that considering what I can do with that extra $100~ else where in my life. $140 is half the cost of my midweek season pass at Belleayre

Im willing to sacrifice my personal comfort to be able to ski at Whiteface, the question is will Whiteface let me?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think heads in beds may be $35?

Obviously not convenient to WF.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
It's fun to stir the pot..
The way I see it..If you can afford the car/insurance/gas/89.00 lift ticket at wf/ and the 500dollars worth of ski gear.
you can pony up for 50-70$ room which comes with a toilet and shower...

just saying.. with peace and love
Quoted for truth.  Tried to sleep in my dad's car a while back when we were visiting my grandparents and there ended up being too many people one night.  My dad thought it was a good idea, but it wasn't at all and he apologized for suggesting it.  I got maybe 1 hour of sleep the entire night and lived on energy drinks the next day.  Never doing that again.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Part of what you quoted for truth...

snoloco wrote
If you can afford the car/insurance/gas/89.00 lift ticket at wf/ and the 500dollars worth of ski gear...
Can you?  This is what gets you in trouble with those who pay for themselves including the OP.

I'm going to defend evantful who has fallen in love with our expensive sport and is doing what he can to ski. Obviously most of us prefer a bed and a shower.

Same question I asked before: if you could only ski on your own dime would you go first class for one day or look for ways to get more days?
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
I checked that Harv, I will def keep that in mind for Gore during mid winter. Great place considering its your own room, not dorm style.

Ive slept in my wagon before and I camp a lot in general, honestly if any of the DEC campgrounds were open Id setup tent there. Im 6'1, but the seats fold perfectly flat and I have a foam/air pad from my camping gear which makes it really comfortable (atleast when Im alone).

More than anything I spent 4 years in college skiing Whiteface 4 days a week and I try to get up atleast once a year. I miss it very much.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I thought they had some of both dorm and private? Not positive as I haven't slept there.

ML could give you the scoop as he has been there twice I think.

If you do go, tell em Harv sent ya.
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Never been but seems to get good reviews
Hostel in lake placid bunks available $28 a night
tmax-n-topo
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
fahz wrote
Never been but seems to get good reviews
Hostel in lake placid bunks available $28 a night
tmax-n-topo
I've stayed at Tmax and Topos, they're nice people, the place is clean, and there's a kitchen so you can cook your own food.    Strongly recommended but you have to plan ahead.  In early February, every weekend thru March they were full.

It's  not just the 100-140/nite that gets the commuter skier, it's having to buy meals too.  That adds up.

I don't utilize the Subaru Motel as often as I used to, but it's quite comfy.  For a ski race I'll motel it.  But if Im heading north for a trail race, arriving 11 PM and getting up at 5 AM, I don't see the point of a motel.  If I know of a discrete place to flop, I'm doing it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Split the dif?  Hit the parking lot at the High Peaks welcome center on 87.  No one ever cares if you are parked overnight in a rest stop.  I've done in plenty of times.  Apres ski at the creek, grab a good dinner, and hit the road.    
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I've sleeped in my Subi a lot, inflat the air matress and roll out the bag. Use the butane stove for coffee in the AM and off you go. If done this when driving to a trailhead before a early hike.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
the temps are getting cushy enough that if I was going to the dacks I'd sleep in the woods and leave the boots and stuff in the car. 0-15 degrees in a tent in a down bag on a comfy bag on top of the snow, i love it. Below 0... not as much. for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Part of what you quoted for truth...

snoloco wrote
If you can afford the car/insurance/gas/89.00 lift ticket at wf/ and the 500dollars worth of ski gear...
Can you?  This is what gets you in trouble with those who pay for themselves including the OP.

Uh, is that right,, then > How about you put him up Dad ? Surely you'll be back up and have the room.

I greatly doubt you paid or could have paid your own way for as much skiing as Sno gets at his age.

Harvey wrote
I'm going to defend evantful who has fallen in love with our expensive sport and is doing what he can to ski. Obviously most of us prefer a bed and a shower.

Same question I asked before: if you could only ski on your own dime would you go first class for one day or look for ways to get more days?
So, if you truly feel that way, put him up.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
In reply to this post by Footer
Footer wrote
Split the dif?  Hit the parking lot at the High Peaks welcome center on 87.  
Footer, that didn't even cross my mind as a spot. That may be exactly what I do.