classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Smoke on the Water: Fire in the Glen

tBatt
This post was updated on .
Some bad news coming from the river community - A fire in the Glen took out a barn and the guide house, also known as the Condo, from Wild Waters midday yesterday. Luckily all of the guides were out on the river when it happened, so no one got hurt. Huge shout out to AJ, the cook for Wild Waters, for running in and getting Ms. Bear, the dog, out.

Report from the Post Star here

Some made out better than others as far as salvaging personal belonging goes. My bike, a couple kayaks and a raft which were owned by guides went down with it. Lots of computers and TVs gone, but more importantly tons of clothes and cash. Tom "T" Carvajal, a former ski patroller from Gore lost everything he owns aside from the raft gear he had on him and his dog. His girlfriend didn't make out much better.

I didn't live here personally, but I spent the better part of my time off the river hanging out here and crashed here quite a bit. If only those walls could talk.

I'm trying to get a list from them all of the most important stuff they lost. I'm currently working with the Black Mountain  Lodge to get some kind of fundraiser going.

Jay's Room on bottom, Becca and T's room up top. The orange blob was T's kayak.

T's car, with his Thule box that he bought the day before the blaze.

The barn, which had the Biodiesel processor inside it.

Inside shots from T

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Smoke on the Water: Fire in the Glen

Chris
Terrible, any ideas to what caused the fire?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
This is a terrible tragedy, but it will hopefully show how everyone up here looks out for one another. Ted, please keep us posted as to what everyone needs. Thankfully, no one was injured and AJ saved their dog. Personal items, although cherished, can be replaced.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris - the biodiesel processor exploded. Not sure if it was a short in the wiring or if the heading element was left on or what.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
This is a terrible tragedy, but it will hopefully show how everyone up here looks out for one another. Ted, please keep us posted as to what everyone needs. Thankfully, no one was injured and AJ saved their dog. Personal items, although cherished, can be replaced.

+1000 on this.

Our involvement with the Adk rafting community started several years ago when a forum member (witch hobble) suggested we add a rafting directory to the site.  In contacting the various companies I got to "know" the players.  It never ceases to amaze me that these companies who compete directly for the same business are so supportive of each other.

NYSB wants to be part of the solution. tBatt knows this and will provide guidance on how to do this, once he and the guys have an idea about how to proceed.

Can someone post a pic of Ms Bear? Want to see her!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
Tragic.
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Anybody know... how does car insurance handle damage from this kind of fire damage?  Should be covered right?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This post was updated on .
I suspect only if you have more than the minimum liability, otherwise your SOL.
The building policy may not even cover it if it was deemed to be caused by cooking diesel fuel. Just depends on how it was written.

I sure hope that the tenants can recover something but I doubt it if they did not have renters insurance. Everyone could loose a lot here and all because of someone was careless enough to be cooking diesel fuel near or in a building people were living in, that was really stupid and thank God it did not happen at night when people were sleeping.

What's more, someone may get charged for tax evasion if the fuel was used to power a car or truck, they were not paying fuel taxes and that is illegal, same as trying to run a car on fryer oil,
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris@GORE
Heard the trucks when I was in Weavertown the other day, saw the wreckage today. Sad, glad no-one was hurt.
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
In reply to this post by PeeTex
AFAIK, as long as you have comprehensive insurance on your car, your car insurance pays.  If your car is in your garage when your house burns down, your car insurance and your homeowners insurance will work with each other to determine the loss coverage.  

As for the residents - it all depends if they were renting or getting the rooms as a part of their pay or if they were living there as in a hotel.  

If they were under 21 or full-time students, their personal property may be covered under their parents' homeowner's policy.

There are so many variables, I would hate to be the one to unravel the whole insurance mess.  Of course, the insurance company will often try to deny the claim, but some persistence may force them to reconsider.  

Even so, loss of personal property is just stuff.  I'm so thankful that no one died.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ski2moro wrote
AFAIK, as long as you have comprehensive insurance on your car, your car insurance pays.  
Correct, and comprehensive is more than the minimum. We are talking guides here.
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
Silly me.  I thought he just bought a Thule box the night before.  I was thinking PRIORITIES.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Just because we choose not to live our lives behind a desk doesn't mean we're all jackasses. They're also the same people saving your ass on the ski hill. Leave your stereotypes and preconceptions out of this.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Tbatt, I hope you did not think I was sterotyping guides, did not mean to. The guides I know are not rich, they usually live on the edge, enjoying life rather than making a lot of money. Nothing wrong with that, a lot of times I wish I spent several years doing that.
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
In reply to this post by tBatt
No one said anything about a desk job or a jackass.  I don't know what stereotypes and preconceptions you are talking about. I'll apologize first if I offended you.  

I DO know this.  My car insurance is full coverage that costs $700 per year.  A new Thule box retails somewhere between $350-$950.

We all have different priorities on our spending.  I believe that insuring your car or your house or your health takes priority over the fun stuff like kayaks and Thule boxes and smart phone plans and game boxes and internet access.  We have the freedom to make choices, but we have to live with the choices we make.

I believe that it is more important to plan for the future than to play in the present. I don't want to gamble without insurance.  That's me.  It may not be you.

We all sympathize with the people who lost their belongings.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
ski2moro wrote
I DO know this.  My car insurance is full coverage that costs $700 per year.  A new Thule box retails somewhere between $350-$950.
You must be over the age of 25.
My car insurance with comprehensive coverage is $2600 a year with a spotless driving record, drivers ed, safe drivers discount, ect. My Yak box was $125, and saves the interior of my car entirely. But none of this is here nor there.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
tBatt wrote
ski2moro wrote
You must be over the age of 25.
My car insurance with comprehensive coverage is $2600 a year with a spotless driving record, drivers ed, safe drivers discount, ect. My Yak box was $125, and saves the interior of my car entirely. But none of this is here nor there.
Now I recall you had just bought a new Subi. I sure hope you can get a fair shake from you insurance company.
Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
I think you have a lot of dignity tBatt.  I wish good luck for you and your friends.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
tBatt's Subie was not involved in this fire.

Hope you are having a good day on the river T.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
tBatt's Subie was not involved in this fire.

Hope you are having a good day on the river T.
My mistake, I thought "T" was Tbatt.