classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Smuggs Conditions

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
Winter returned to smuggs today. Grey clouds, light snow, wind , rime. Did find sugar, also found some stiff but edgeable surfaces. Not many options open , but still enough to be interesting. Met a guy and 3 young boys who came over from Stowe through Sterling Pond and headed back. A little sun and it will be real fun.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Smugglers notch

Adk Jeff
freeheeln wrote
A little sun and it will be real fun.
And I think you're going to get that...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Smugglers Notch Conditions

snoloco
Arrived this evening and skiing tomorrow and Sunday.  Should be fun.  Just waiting for my roommates to quiet down so I can finally go to bed, which shows no signs of happening anytime soon.  Joke's gonna be on them when I get up earlier than everyone else and they all get woken up.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
On the lift before anyone else was out of bed.

The Mogul Mouse's Magic Lift from the village is excruciatingly slow.  Hopefully the Madonna and Sterling lifts are faster.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Madonna 1 lift is significantly faster.  Probably one of the fastest fixed grips I've been on.

Hardly a crowd this morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Doc Dempsey Glade was quite hard.  Might try it again and see if it's easier the second time.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Work your way skiers right in there ^^^
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Dropped my pole off the lift, so I took some runs Glade Runner style without them while I was retrieving it off the lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This was one of the most fun runs I've ever done.  I ripped the whole thing and felt like I was the next aspiring Glade Runner.

Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Just waiting for my roommates to quiet down so I can finally go to bed, which shows no signs of happening anytime soon.  Joke's gonna be on them when I get up earlier than everyone else and they all get woken up.
"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Snoloco.

Sno, you seem like a nice kid, but you're on a ski weekend with other college kids.  Chill out a little and try to get along.  It's easier to make friends.

Maybe you were joking but from your NYSkiBlog personality I tend to suspect not.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
So now we see some growth in little Sno. It's not all HSQs and tons of snow making. A place can actually be fun without all these things.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Sno got himself a big wakeup call today.

Went into the woods off the main trail on Madonna.  Not sure if it was a marked or unmarked glade, but it was sketchy and I was way in over my head.  Sidestepped down much of it and crashed once.  Glad I made it out in one piece.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
It happens to all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski

snoloco wrote

Went into the woods off the main trail on Madonna.  Not sure if it was a marked or unmarked glade, but it was sketchy and I was way in over my head.  Sidestepped down much of it and crashed once.  Glad I made it out in one piece.
Dude, sounds like you're ok. If you can take a second to reflect on where your decision making process failed you and what additional tools (skills, muscles) you need to add to your tool box (brain) you can count it as a positive experience. Pain and fear can be good teachers.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
snoloco wrote

Mads policy but pretty standard.
Note #3

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
There were maybe two skiers or boarders in the entire group who were at my ability level and they weren't skiing yesterday, only Saturday.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
snoloco wrote
Oh, shit......now he's talking about himself in the third person!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
snoloco wrote
There were maybe two skiers or boarders in the entire group who were at my ability level and they weren't skiing yesterday, only Saturday.
This means you don't go in, Sno. You can't always get what you want. Freeheelin's answer was better then mine. Listen to him.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I wanted to ski something other than groomers.  Glade Runner goes in the woods alone, so why can't I?
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
snoloco wrote
I wanted to ski something other than groomers.  Glade Runner goes in the woods alone, so why can't I?
It's great that you want to experience the woods. Dropping in alone at a mountain you have never been to is foolish. Glade Runner is foolish on multiple levels. The fact that you are asking is reason enough that you shouldn't.