SnowBoarding in a free fall....

ScottyJack
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SnowBoarding in a free fall....

Z
I saw this.  Interesting piece and conclusions.

Last couple of years I have had taught several people that were good snowboarders to ski.  They learn super fast because they already understand edging, balance and how turn shapes slows you down.  One guy went from never being on skis to the Bear chair in under an hour which is unheard of.

Maybe we should create a special crossover clinic for snowboarders?  If a snowboarder is looking to crossover I'd definately recommend a private and not a group lesson so they can progress fast without others slowing them down.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
I feel like snowboarding would be more popular if we were all in deep powder all the time.

But the guy in the article is right. On most days in the east, I'd rather be on 2 edges making a turn than 1.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This probably has nothing to do with ski tech. I'm pretty sure it has everything to do with the fact that young people have no money and enormous student debt, and, as we all know, skiing and snowboarding are expensive sports. They simply cannot afford to do it anymore, and the younger ones can't hit unemployed mom and dad up for the funds. So, this may not be something to celebrate. Snowboarding has been filling the vacuum of older skiers leaving the hills for over a decade. Without them, or somebody to fill the vacuum of them leaving, the industry is in trouble.

Snowboarding is a cheaper and easier way to enjoy the ski hills. I have been recommending novices for years (under 40) to pick it up rather than skiing, if they want to participate on the slopes. It takes much longer for an 8 day a year skier to get comfy on the slopes.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Interesting.  Sounds like numbers are not necessary declining, but there's just no growth in the snow sports population as snowboarders transition to skis.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Agree with that, nice assessment!
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
As a father of a 12 and 14 year old, I can tell you that they, and their friends, have no interest in boarding.  That's for "old" people...

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
I can say that I snowboard, and often ask myself why I still do it.  2 edges look WAY more fun on chop or icy crap.

Powder even looks appealing...  Oh lord I'm having dirty thoughts.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My 16yr old does both, my 19yr has no interest..
I think twin tip skis but the brakes on snowboarding..
"Peace and Love"
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
look at all the urban video shots. it's all twin tips with no boards in sight. this shows the cultural shift away from boarding. boarders are mostly seen in half pipe shots. And half pipes are rarely found today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
Good forum here, been lurking about for a while due all the good info about our region. Unfortunately I am a boarder, former skier, but once I took up boarding 7 years ago at 30 I can't picture myself going back, just such a different feel.

In the end does it really matter if you exchange the people doing moronic things on a snowboard for people doing moronic things on skis? They are still the same people, just on a different device.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Not at all worried...
Not even sure it's a thing...

Snowboarding is alive and well...  
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
skied gore today. all snowboarders were guys in their 30's or older. twin tips ruled the youngsters.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Guess I never thought about it. When I used to have my pass at West skiing nights I guess I saw very few boarders under the age of 16 or so. The kids that always bounced the chairs were on skis.  

I also don't agree it was the rocker that did it.  It was the twin tip and the snowboard "culture" that has moved to skis.  These kids aren't interested in the woods, they want to hang out in the park and jump into the air.  

Then again, I ski midweek so I rarely see kids... and when I do I want to kill them all.  
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
skied gore today. all snowboarders were guys in their 30's or older. twin tips ruled the youngsters.
I also think snowboarders gravitate to places that have good/serious parks...
Some places don't stand up 1/4 pipes...  Like Hunter...  Many have left Hunter to ride down in NJ of PA... where they have pipes...  

Why go to a mountain with a crappy park?

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Footer
Footer wrote
 Then again, I ski midweek so I rarely see kids... and when I do I want to kill them all.
Snicker.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
OMG!  I can't start new topics or reply to any posts in the Trip Reports forum!  I have so much to offer this community!  I've got a few shovel-ready TRs that would really blow some of you away!  Imagine, if you can, my reflections on skiing Essex, Excelsior and Victoria over the weekend!  (Some of those are diamonds!  They're like really steep and stuff.)    Don't muzzle me man!   I'm bustin' to share!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Those damn telemaketers must of put you on the " do not call list ". Maybe it's ok to insult everything on here except telemarketing. Lol.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
OMG!  I can't start new topics or reply to any posts in the Trip Reports forum!  I have so much to offer this community!  I've got a few shovel-ready TRs that would really blow some of you away!  Imagine, if you can, my reflections on skiing Essex, Excelsior and Victoria over the weekend!  (Some of those are diamonds!  They're like really steep and stuff.)    Don't muzzle me man!   I'm bustin' to share!

Oh my aching ass, you can't be serious about the TR forum.

I know your flat ass lying about skiing those diamonds!! Those are for experts only