Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Snowmaking

Harvey
Administrator
Noah John wrote
Let me give you the report right now.

Excelsior skied like it always does; it was really twisty and stuff and no steeper than it was last year.  Upper Valley was sort of boring, skier's left was the place to be.  Warm temps led to soft, spring like conditions.  Tower Ten Hill started to bump up a bit at the end.  The beer was cold.  All my friends are still stupid.  Boy are my legs tired.
Somehow I missed this the first time. Noah's first trip report. Nice!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Harvey wrote
Noah John wrote
Let me give you the report right now.

Excelsior skied like it always does; it was really twisty and stuff and no steeper than it was last year.  Upper Valley was sort of boring, skier's left was the place to be.  Warm temps led to soft, spring like conditions.  Tower Ten Hill started to bump up a bit at the end.  The beer was cold.  All my friends are still stupid.  Boy are my legs tired.
Somehow I missed this the first time. Noah's first trip report. Nice!
He completely nailed it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Willard started snow making last night... looks like they are after a Thanksgiving opening as well.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hunter is at it again as I type!
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Hunter announced next Friday for opening day..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
JasonWx wrote
Hunter announced next Friday for opening day..
YES!!!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
"Excelsior skied like it always does; it was really twisty and stuff and no steeper than it was last year."

Damn it....ORDA never gets anything right...I was hoping that it would be steeper.

I actually spit out my beer when I read that.

I am looking forward to skiing it next friday, and hopefully Essex and Victoria too....and enjoying the company of friends...and some PBR's....who knows maybe I will even grill something.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Pants

Pants wrote
He completely nailed it!

Not quite as it turns out.  Upper Valley was sweet from edge to edge and once I unbuckled by upper two buckles my feet and legs were fine.  The rest of it was a direct hit though.  I thought it would get boring fast but actually it was a ton of fun.  I forgot how much fun it is just to ski - even if it's limited like that.  Psyched for tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

WNY-ADK Skier
Hey guys...I just moved to Western New York. I'm a very avid skier. Usually ski between 65-80 days a season. I used to live in the NYC area and skied central Vermont most of the time, although did a lot of day trips to catskills, bershires and poconos.

Didn't buy a Vt season pass this year. Instead, I bout for the first time an ISKINY SANY Gold Pass. I will spend a month in the ADK's next month, so will hit Whiteface and Gore often.

But now I'm asking about Western New York...I'm itching to get out here, but have no idea of who opens early around here. Any sense of what the best option for early season skiing is around here?

Also, does anyone else who posts here live in Western New York.

Thanks guys!
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
Hello,
 It really doesn't matter where in WNY you are, Holiday Valley and Holimont are the places to ski.
Buffalo ski club sits in a pretty gnarly snow belt as does Kissing Bridge. With Gold pass 80 days will be easy.
Holiday valley will open next Friday! They have killer snowmaking and get the LES. Gore is closest big mtn 5.25 hrs , whiteface less than 6. from Buffalo. let. it. snow.
 Enjoy!
The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

WNY-ADK Skier

mikegbflo wrote
Hello,
 It really doesn't matter where in WNY you are, Holiday Valley and Holimont are the places to ski.
Buffalo ski club sits in a pretty gnarly snow belt as does Kissing Bridge. With Gold pass 80 days will be easy.
Holiday valley will open next Friday! They have killer snowmaking and get the LES. Gore is closest big mtn 5.25 hrs , whiteface less than 6. from Buffalo. let. it. snow.
 Enjoy!
Hey..thanks for the quick reply! I'm right outside of Buffalo...perhaps we can hook up for some turns one of these days. I skied Holiday Valley when I visited the area last year. Fun little hill. And ellicottville strikes me as the 3rd best ski town in the East (I have Lake Placid at #1 and Stowe at #2). So, I'm digging it. Skis big even though vertical sucks. It's probably because it's so spread out.

How does Holimont's terrain compare to HV's?

Oh...and are you sure HV opens next Friday? I'll be there next weekend if that's the case.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by mikegbflo
You guys have just been put in charge of nyskiblogs newly formed western NY division.  Not sure what that means but I need help with

The western NY directory
The  BGM and BUF weather pages that are currently in development

Reply | Threaded
|

WNY-ADK Skier
Hey Harv,

Count me in to help out in whatever way, shape or form. Feel free to email or pm me. I've been a big fan of your site for several years. Lurking until know, probably because I used to ski Vt more than NY. But now it's NY or bust. And I'm excited about the ISKINY Pass and exploring WNY. I know hills are small, but a lot of Lake Effect will hopefully make up for some of it.

Anyway, I once again reiterate my willingness to help out re WNY.
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
Thanks Harv!
I am no Hemmingway,but I could submit on a few of the hills in these here parts...
WNY-ADK:HV and Holimont have a lot to offer,both are great.
HV always has bumps,killer bumps. trees as well. quad lifts everywhere.    
HV has The Wall.
Holimont has the same vert as HV & it's sustained.
their snowmaking is high end.
Ellicottville rivals all ski towns in north America.
enjoy the weekend!
The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I will have my people call your people.

De bot of yas.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by mikegbflo
mikegbflo wrote
This is amazingly true.
Reply | Threaded
|

WNY-ADK Skier
mattchuck2 wrote
mikegbflo wrote
This is amazingly true.
I hear you. I had heard of Ellicottville being a cute town, but I didn't think it was going to be anything special. But when I visited I was really impressed. It oozes character. I like Lake Placid better because it's bigger, but Eville is in the running for best ski town in the east. Who would've thunk it? Just 50 minutes south of Buffalo?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|