Snowmaking in March?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snowmaking in March?

jimvdak
These are some pictures posted on Jay Peak's website this morning...anyone know other mountains blowing snow this weekend? Guess it wouldnt be worth it unless you're that far north and already have a base to work with..

I know it's hard to let go of ski season, but is this really worth it?
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snowmaking in March?

Benny Profane
You know, there's something you aren't supposed to do facing into the wind........
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by jimvdak
Not sure about this weekend, but Sunday River, Loon, Sugarloaf and Wildcat(<? not sure about that) are also planning to blow this week.

First I heard about was Jay Peak, but I wonder who really was first with the idea.

Benny Profane wrote
You know, there's something you aren't supposed to do facing into the wind........
Umm.... marketing?  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I think Jay might have a large group of Brit's coming this week..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Ski Area Management:

RESORTS REFUSE TO GIVE UP ON WINTER

SAM Magazine—Newry, Maine, Mar. 26, 2012—Weather-challenged resorts in the East and West are declaring their commitment to guests by making snow, extending their seasons, or offering free skiing and riding.

As most Eastern ski resorts are closing for the season in the wake of last week’s unprecedented heat, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, and Loon Mountain—all managed by Michigan-based Boyne Resorts—are making more snow to carry the season into April. Saddleback, Maine, is doing the same. All turned on the snowguns this morning as temperatures fell into the 20s. This marks the latest snowmaking in history for all four resorts, and for the Boyne resorts, coincides with the spring sale of their 2012–13 New England Pass ($359 and up).
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
  I don't know how smart it is, but it makes me happy. I'm on vacation this week, and am more optimistic of my options later this week because of this. Maybe Sunday River, or Jay, are in my immediate future. I've wanted to ski Saddleback, never been, but don't know if it'd be worth the extra travel time.

Throwing in the towel is tough...just one more hit, and I'll be Okay. Sound familiar? Hi, I'm Bob, and I'm an alpineoholic...Hi Bob. I've got eight months to do other things, damn it. Blow away!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Jay, Sunday River, Loon, Sugarloaf, Wildcat and Tremblant that I know of.

Gonna cost a lot of money? Yup.
Gonna keep their customers happy? You betcha!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
tBatt wrote
Jay, Sunday River, Loon, Sugarloaf, Wildcat and Tremblant that I know of.

Gonna cost a lot of money? Yup.
Gonna keep their customers happy? You betcha!
Saddleback too,

Lift tickets $39. Temperatures are dropping and we are ready to make snow. Snowmaking will proceed on Royal Coachman, Royal Tiger and Grey Ghost today. Elmore Twist playing in the Pub Saturday, March 31st. Are you a passholder at another mountain? Bring your pass to Saddleback and get a $29 lift ticket. This weekend Pond Skimming on Saturday, Park Shark on Sunday and Sunday April 1 is $29 Maine Day!!! Spring conditions, watch for natural obstacles. Sign up for Saddleback text alerts for the latest lift and trail conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Who's taking me with them? My ski stuff's still out and ready to go haha
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
This post was updated on .
it's more about longer term profits. The better question is, what's it worth to keep your most core (Season Pass holders) happy. They spend a good portion of their winter here for a reason and they deserve it.
 this was quot from jay, when asked if it was worth the money,,,just sayin
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The Killington hardcore (Kzone, AZ) are up in arms about K's decision not to blow.  The funny thing about it is that it's all comparative.  If Killington hadn't been the Beast back in the day, or if BOYNE wasn't blowing it out at all their resorts, I think this would be a non-issue.I guess it's human nature to measure the value of what you got based on what someone else got.  Ultimately, if you don't think you got what you paid for, don't buy it again.

To be fair, real estate complicates the whole thing, when you'd have to take a bath to sell. But there are no guarantees when you buy-in.

Still...maybe Kmart should drop the whole beast thing. Seems to be a lightning rod.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Harvey44 wrote

Still...maybe Kmart should drop the whole beast thing.

Oh please, please. I cringe at the word.

Is it working, though? Is there a new generation of steezy young snowboarders who are opening up their wallets for Beast long tail tees? I hope not.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Still...maybe Kmart should drop the whole beast thing. Seems to be a lightning rod.
But those ads still make me laugh..haha
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Jay Peak's Blog, by Steve Wright:

We’ve been online for the past 24 hours making snow on Harmony Lane, the Interstate, The Magic Carpet and our Learning Area. We will lose temps briefly which will give us time to move then set up guns along our Goat trail, roughly 40 guns in an attempt to resurface this main route and improve access to trails like Exhibition, Green Mountain Boys and Lower Quai which are all in good shape and all accessible from the Flyer which will reopen tomorrow thanks to snowmaking.

Part of me wants to say that the decision to make snow was a well thought out, strategic plan because it makes us sound smarter than we actually are but, as with many things up here, it was pretty knee jerk. Snow wise, the season has pretty much sucked but, in all honesty, we’ve made enough money so that making a few bad decisions this late in the season won’t shutter our doors. Really, when this boils, it’s a nod to our season pass holders- the ones we have now and, sure, the ones we may pick up as a result of holding our brand to the fire. When you commit an entire season to one business—not just your cash but, more importantly your time, making some snow and staying open a few extra weeks as acknowledgment isn’t exactly an act of heroism on our part; based on who we are and how we’ve positioned ourselves, we’d be stupid not to. Still, there’s something about everyone here being excited to do it, that makes me proud to work here.

So this weekend, expect skiing and riding for all abilities with 20 trails and 4 lifts. Tickets are discounted down to $45 for Adults and $25 for kids. Our Other Mountain passholder Program offers ticket rates at $35 for Adults and $20 for Juniors. And if you’d like to spend some time in the waterpark, we’ll offer a combo ticket—a lift ticket for the day plus unlimited PumpHouse Indoor Waterpark access for the day-for just $60 for adults and $40 for juniors. I was going to include a link to buy your pass for next year online but it felt dirty so, if you’re interested, I’m sure you’ll find a way to buy it. Just do it before May 14th.  -Steve

-----------

Steve - Must be great to work for a company like Jay. I'm putting the pass link in for you:

https://ecommerce.jaypeakresort.com/e-commerce/itemList.aspx?node_id=627487
Reply | Threaded
|

stevejpr1
Thanks Harv. How's the wheel? You ready to bust it out on this Late March faux-fluff?
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
^^^^^^ that is awesome, put a smile on my face. always good to see a business go above and beyond rather than just do the norm. props to jay and wish i could get up there this weekend but the drive is just too far.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I'll be heading over on Sunday with some other Whiteface instructors.  Should be great.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by stevejpr1
stevejpr1 wrote
Thanks Harv. How's the wheel? You ready to bust it out on this Late March faux-fluff?
Starting PT this week.  Am I ready?  Depends on who you ask - doc says another month minimum.

It's a bummer because our plan was to be at Jay all next week before my leg got in the way.

Keep a blowin.  
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Props to Jay  for leading the way and committing to real customer service
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.