34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Song Mtn and Labrador merge, will operate as one

Harvey
Administrator
Song Mountain and Labrador ski resorts merge, will operate as one company

Tully -- Song Mountain Resort and Labrador Mountain, two Central New York ski resorts, have merged into one corporate entity, it was announced today.

Peter Harris, president of Song, will become president and general manager of both ski slopes. No plans for wholesale changes to operating policies and staffing at either mountain are planned.

One new development, though, is the introduction of a new "Inter-Mountain Passport," full season pass. The pass will be interchangeable without restrictions at both mountains.

"You will literally get two mountains for the price of one," Harris said.

The Wilson family first opened Labrador Mountain in Truxton in 1956. Bruce and Susan Wilson have owned and operated the mountain since 1990. The couple has agreed to remain in their current management positions for the 2014-15 season.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/09/song_and_labrador_ski_resorts_merge_into_one_corporate_entry.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Song Mtn and Labrador merge, will operate as one

x10003q
Smart move, now they just need to get Tog on board for a central NY triple play .
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I heard this on the radio yesterday and was VERY surprised. Good deal for those in Cuse. Will be interesting to see how it all works out for them. I'd still drive by those 2 places and head to Greek...just sayin
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I have to agree with you, Camp, in term of driving by both areas enroute to GP, but it does provide a bit of diversity with the reciprocity of passes. Back in the day, I enjoyed the change of pace the American Skiing Company season pass afforded in New England.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I'd still drive by those 2 places and head to Greek...
Wait Camp "drive by?"  

I thought you lived like, on campus, at GP?
Reply | Threaded
|

CapnJazzHands
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Aw. I am genuinely saddened by this. End of an era. I grew up as a Lab rat and feel like from an operations, French fry, and people standpoint: Lab pass holders stand to lose a lot.  Don't get me wrong, Song has some great trails, I spent a few seasons there, but mostly at Greek Peak when I switched to snowboarding (before Lab allowed it). I went right back when they changed the policy.

Of course, I don't live in 315 anymore so all my nostalgia of skipping school on powder days, me and my old atomics bombing no name, ski club shenanigans, and following my dad to pick up after one of his epic yard sales does crap towards keeping the lifts running and the bills paid.

Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
An "outsider's" view ...

Last season, I skied at both Labrador & Song as part of a central New York ski tour that I decided to put together. In reality, since I don't live anywhere near either mountain, and for the most part, wouldn't have any reason to be in that area, it's unlikely that I will ever ski either mountain again, so I definitely don't know all there is to know about these mountains.

Having said all that ... It seems to me, that this is a win for skiers. I really enjoyed both mountains, and if this merger would enable me to ski both mountains on the same pass, I don't see how that could be a bad thing. Of course, time will tell. From what I've read, Labrador appears to have a real die-hard following, while Song doesn't seem to enjoy the same degree of loyalty.

Hopefully, for everyone involved, this will work out as a positive turn!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
In reply to this post by CapnJazzHands
Glad I passed on greeks pass, Yes greek has more vert on 6 trails ( the illiad side) but 2 areas this year for one seems nice, atlease for this year.Hopfuly a huge price jump dont force me back to greek next year though, thats the big thing I can see that will be painfull, well that and one area getting priority over the other.if played right, with cheeper lifts tickets then greek and cheeper passes, you can defently get the marginal skiiers and boarders to come over, Could mean greek becomes the rich destination and song-lab becomes the discount alternitive, with a big incentive, greek -900' song-lab -1400' vert
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Face4Me
This is definitely a win for the passholders!

Labrador's grooming is top notch and Song only grooms about half of their trails which is great for powder lovers.Plus for whatever reason, in their location, Song gets a lot more lake effect than any of the other local areas.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
 From what I've read, Labrador appears to have a real die-hard following, while Song doesn't seem to enjoy the same degree of loyalty.

Hopefully, for everyone involved, this will work out as a positive turn!
I've skied both places many times. Your assessment is only accurate because the Lab folks are the pompous whiners about grooming and such. Song will routinely leave a lot un-groomed on a powder day. Lab not so much
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I'd still drive by those 2 places and head to Greek...
Wait Camp "drive by?"  

I thought you lived like, on campus, at GP?
I do

If I lived in Cuse I'd still head to GP....absolutley zero wrong w/ Song and Lab, I just think the terrain at GP is the best around CNY, and it's only a few more miles in the car. But hey, lets be honest, I'm a Homer .....what the hell do I know
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
Lake effect, all about terrain fetches, behind song their is otisco lake, a nice 20 mile or so lake, (a funnle of such, even if it does freeze solid every winter) that forces "wet wind" up songs hill.

Greeks "wet wind" is somewhat blocked by other hills, and greek is at a bad angle to cayuga lake to get the extra enhancement, alas if greek could move their big hill to near west slaterville or a little west, they could go toe to toe with song for amount of good powder days

Lab gets lake snow alot, but gets 1/2 of what song does, and 4-5" more a lake storm then greek does on average

20" at song 10" at lab 6" at greek
a normal lake storm in cny
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
You've embellished those numbers considerably.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
skimore wrote
You've embellished those numbers considerably.

Dude, you crack me up

It snows 20" ALL THE TIME AT SONG

Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by kenneywallace
Fixed it for ya
kenneywallace wrote
Lake effect, all about terrain fetches, behind song their is otisco lake, a nice 2 mile or so lake, (a funnle of such, even if it does freeze solid every winter) that forces "wet wind" up songs hill.

Greeks "wet wind" is somewhat blocked by other hills, and greek is at a bad angle to cayuga lake to get the extra enhancement, alas if greek could move their big hill to near west slaterville or a little west, they could go toe to toe with song for amount of good powder days

Lab gets lake snow alot, but gets 1/2 of what song does, and 4-5" more a lake storm then greek does on average

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
These are the numbers we gathered from the websites last year:

Song 125"
Greek 110"
Lab 110"

Legit?

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/New-York-Ski-Area-Snow-Totals-td5001454.html
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yep...legit
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
No Song is over 300 with those 20 inchers
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by pro2860
Fixed for you

pro2860 wrote
Fixed it for ya
kenneywallace wrote
Lake effect, all about terrain fetches, behind song their is otisco lake, a nice 6 mile or so lake, (a funnle of such, even if it does freeze solid every winter) that forces "wet wind" up songs hill.

Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
In reply to this post by skimore
Ok I mixed the length up with skinniatlas lake next door but it is longer then 2 miles, whitney point lake is 4 1/2 miles long, otisco is a bit longer,  so 6 maybe

Song gets alot of snow, web site or not their is years they get 200", and theirs years they get 100" ,  

The lenghth aside the sceince is the same, the otisco valley is open to the north, funnli g wind down the valley and forcing it uphill near song when the wind hits the hill, "wet wind " uphill means snow or rain (called oreagraphic lift), when it blows down hill its dryer creating a rain or snow shadow, or a area of slightly less precip, ( east facing ski areas in lake zones can suffer for this if the angle of the hill on the west or north side is too steep)

Greek kinda faces east, which hurts a bit in lake snows, but helps in nor easters,

Etheir way skiing is good at etheir place, and with fickle winters over the past years snow making is still king ( the only reason any of the ski areas are not out of buisness, ( have to comend greek, all the things I can complain about, they did a great job to survive the snow rain cycle in december))