classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
75 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sort of a big deal

Benny Profane

Harvey wrote

Do you sincerely believe that the character of the people at Hunter is markedly different than those at Gore?

Oh, god yes. Add alcohol, too. Lots more alcohol.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
So the idea is that people's character is determined by where they come from? I'm guessing you are kidding.
Of course.

Best way to experience this is to do a MLB stadium tour. Compare, say, the Red Sox fan at Fenway to the Yankee fan at Yankee stadium to the Oriole fan at Camden Yards.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So which places produce people with the best character?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by JamesP
Everything you said is 100% correct. Your concern with protecting your granddaughter Is valid You can't control all those people at the mountain but you can control where you go ski that's why I say go to a less populated ski area..  if you take a little personal responsibility for the safety of your family I think you can find Alternatives even if you might have to drive a little bit further it's not all about you.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I would guess they go to Hunter because they never heard of Gore before. Bazinga
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Definitely a different clientele hiking season as well adk vs Catskills. Yes where u live or more so where u r raised drives your character.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Harvey wrote

Do you sincerely believe that the character of the people at Hunter is markedly different than those at Gore?

Oh, god yes. Add alcohol, too. Lots more alcohol.
I was at Hunter last weekend..There was a ton of drinking in the lift line..Young men in Hockey and Football jerseys...It was 10:30am.. I am so over this crowded weekend skiing..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So Jason skis Hunter, on the weekend.

Maybe "character" is the wrong word.  It's too easily confused with "characteristics."

I guess the lift capacity is a legit way to determine crowds on the trails at least.  Although it assumes all mountains are running all lifts.

The only time I feel crowded at Gore, is on a weekend, in the lodge, when I'm taking my boots off, if I have quit before closing time.  It is at most 15 minutes of the day.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
Harvey wrote
So which places produce people with the best character?
I live an hour north of hunter and you cant even give me a ticket to that place. tried it midweek/weekends after major storms. it does not matter, full of assholes. and I love the east side of that place. I do most of my skiing at gore. platy and magic. used to ski hickory. major draw is terrain, the good vibe is just a bonus.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Harvey wrote
So Jason skis Hunter, on the weekend.

Maybe "character" is the wrong word.  It's too easily confused with "characteristics."

I guess the lift capacity is a legit way to determine crowds on the trails at least.  Although it assumes all mountains are running all lifts.

The only time I feel crowded at Gore, is on a weekend, in the lodge, when I'm taking my boots off, if I have quit before closing time.  It is at most 15 minutes of the day.

Not by choice..I promised my daughter I would take her..
I wish Platt had more opened..
From 8:30 to 10:30 it's not bad..after that time , the place is a zoo...so we split around 12..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JasonWx wrote
Not by choice..I promised my daughter I would take her..
I wish Platt had more opened..
From 8:30 to 10:30 it's not bad..after that time , the place is a zoo...so we split around 12..
You ski Hunter on a weekend. I know you. You are not an asshole.

So there is one person who skis Hunter who is not an asshole (IMO). I think there are more.

I still want to know what towns or parts of the northeast or parts of the country produce people of good character?  Does anyone understand why I am pushing back on this?
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
Hunter's weekend problem is simply one of many Eastern Ski areas weekend problem one of success because of  easy driving access to large population areas. Killington , Mount Snow etc. all get quite crowded on decent winter weekends as do the Pocono  and other Catkills areas. there is simply no way around this. The areas have to make money when they can. I started this thread to try and remind skiers and boarders that we all have a responsibility to keep the mountain as safe as possible while still having fun. Like I said my "close encounters" came on weekdays at Hunter, which is ridiculous. There was simply no reason not to alert a downhill skier of the presence of an overtaking skier. The slopes were relatively uncrowded. I will say the boarders never alert their presence but at least you  can hear the board. A little courtesy people, and everyone will be better off.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The people at Hunter are nice.. The problem is young males that have been drinking and skiing beyond there ability..

There is only a finite amount of terrain with a ton of people..not a good combo..Throw in some slick spots and all of a sudden the trail looks like the beach at Normandy..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
I have sat on a few Western Lift chairs  with real a-holes , In fact at Hunter or in the East there is a decided lack of arrogance and self congratulatory bs, that you find out West. You know "hey I'm so lucky I ski here all the time and you had to fly out for 5 days , how can you live with yourself". On the lifts in the East there seems to be a shared comradeship ,
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Haven't read all the way through this thread but I'd like Coach to know the only time I've ever had my skis run over was at Whiteface. Just sayin.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
  Does anyone understand why I am pushing back on this?
Yes. I agree with you Harv
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I don’t think anyone is saying everyone who skis at Hunter is an asshole.  I just think that being a decent hill with great snowmaking and the closest established party scene to a major metropolitan area attracts a much larger amount of customers whose primary focus is not necessarily skiing, as compared to somewhere like Gore.  

My uncle used to call them balloons, the people who showed up to the mountain at 10:00 as a matter of habit.  You can’t even call them gapers because they don’t even bother to look the part in their jeans and jerseys.  Not that there is anything wrong with jeans and jerseys.  I own both, and even wear them together (but not for skiing).

None of that is a judgement on the character of that particular portion of the Hunter clientele.  They are just people looking for a good time.  I like having a good time, too!  However, having a larger number of clientele whose focus is more on drinking than skiing has an effect on the overall atmosphere and crowds on slope.

That doesn’t mean the partiers are bad people lacking in character.  That doesn’t mean there aren’t really good, serious skiers and skiing families at Hunter.  You just have a wider range of clientele than some other mountains.

Why are you pushing back on this?  Not sure, I just figured your nose was out of joint because I criticized both Main Street North Creek and SOME New Jersey skiers in the same day!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Harvey wrote
I still want to know what towns or parts of the northeast or parts of the country produce people of good character?  Does anyone understand why I am pushing back on this?
All towns, parts of the northeast, and parts of the country produce people of both good and bad character.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JTG4eva! wrote
All towns, parts of the northeast, and parts of the country produce people of both good and bad character.
If that is how you feel, I misunderstood. Apologies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Exactly, but certain locations attract people of low character, which in extreme cases can give entire cities a bad reputation.  For example, Lincoln Financial Field.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi