Sort of a big deal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
75 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sort of a big deal

JamesP
Is it me, why doesn't anyone announce their presence when they are going past you. In the last few weeks I've had a decent amount of "close encounters", you know when some one ski's past you or cuts you off, and not once has anyone seen fit to simply say "on your right" , I'm not talking about crowded weekend days, but mid week when you almost have to seek someone out to get close. Is it that hard when overtaking someone to simply let them know, Believe me if you are the faster skier a collision  can wreck your day too.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sort of a big deal

Z
At Gore on Saturday twice I had poor skiing morons ski over the back of my skis.  Both times I  was way on the left edge of the trail making short turns and they were guys that were way in the backseat and had no clue how sucky thier skiing actually is and neither stopped.  I caught up to both and explained the error of there ways and existence to them.  One guy acknowledged that I had the right of way and other guy had no conception that the downhill skier has the right of way.  Gore gets a lower end segment of the skier population than WF is my take on that.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
This has become an issue at Gore last few weeks, especially on Sunday. Where did these happen?  My wife almost taken out earlier this month, and others I know very close calls.  Agree its due to the level of the skiers here.  They are in too deep.  Even on Sunway.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
on chatimac and and the other I don't recall maybe sagmore

both of them bozos skiing on the tails of their skis that have no clue

with more sustained pitch like at WF they would not even be on the same trail as me because you you do that at WF and you become a human missile
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by JamesP
JamesP wrote
Is it me, why doesn't anyone announce their presence when they are going past you. In the last few weeks I've had a decent amount of "close encounters", you know when some one ski's past you or cuts you off, and not once has anyone seen fit to simply say "on your right" , I'm not talking about crowded weekend days, but mid week when you almost have to seek someone out to get close. Is it that hard when overtaking someone to simply let them know, Believe me if you are the faster skier a collision  can wreck your day too.
I'm dyslexic... I've actually turned into people.
I ski with a deaf person...   She can't hear the warning.. In spite of people yelling at her...

Audible queues cannot always be trusted...
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
yep--several of our crew have commented that at times it has been downright dangerous during portions of the last few weekends.

I certainly don't advocate ski patrol police, but a handful of them strategically placed at the usual pinch points would be a good idea.

And whatever happened to the mountain host program? They used to do that kind of work in years past. Haven't seen any at all this year.

typical pinches:
sunway/quicksilver intersection
potluck/sunway
2B/Arena/Wild Air
Sunway/Showcase
lower jamboree---after about 9a that is a serious learners' trail and folks just go bombing through there---my wife (as a learner) is getting pretty ticked at having to worry about that traffic while she's still trying to stay upright on her own...
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
Says the guy from Hunter where people skiing poorly on the tails of thier skis and running into each happens nearly continuously
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
What did happen to the Mt Host program? right, seen zero this year....what's up?
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Same color coats as instructors...
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Please share the data you are referencing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Z
Ha Z, small world, that share the same opinion!   I was talking to a couple at Christine’s on Blackcomb on Sunday.  They currently live in L.A. but the husband was from NY.  We were talking about where I skied most and he asked (maybe with a slight hint of sarcasm) if I ski at Hunter.  I told him the story of the last weekend day I skied at Hunter......when early in the day on West some yahoo idiot who probably didn’t even know skis had edges was in a place he didn’t belong, and proceeded to fall upslope of us and slide into my brother, sending them both into the wood slat fence on the left of the trail, where my brother’s ski went through the slats and then broke in half.  I swore off Hunter on weekends after that, and the guy I was talking to agreed that Hunter was great......ON WEEKDAYS!

Gore’s not even in the same league as Hunter when it comes to idiots IMHO, but it’s been a while.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
I understand all of the posts here, but the amazing thing about my experience is that I ski Hunter on weekdays, and the guys who came close to me were obviously good skiers, and they probably knew they could avoid me [I'm a decent skier but never raced so I may be a little slower for the older hot shots who are a staple of Hunter's weekdays] all that they had to do was give me a little heads up and there would be almost no chance of a screw up. In terms of Hunter on the weekend I only go to help my kids with my grandkids, that is where I really get fearful as some 200 lb. snowboarder going fast may crash into a 50lb. kid, On the weekends I blame the mountain, they must get their patrol and guides to be more strict. pull a few tickets, on the other hand Hunter is a great mountain for so close to the city.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
How many acres is Hunter? How many acres is Gore?

How many annual skiers visits does Hunter have? How many annual skier visits does Gore have?

Do the math, compare the density. Cut the terrain of Gore in half (at least) and triple (at least) the number of skiers.

Do you sincerely believe that the character of the people at Hunter is markedly different than those at Gore?

This is not directed at OP.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Blah! I understand your concerns but those kids paid for tickets to. If it's To dangerous bring her some where else. I would. I'm certain Hunter has dedicated a good beginner pod. If you want to take her up on the tougher Terrain maybe you should take it to a mountain less  populated. It just makes sense you're not going to slow everyone down and there's always going to be close calls if you don't want that danger in her life that's the only answer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I think what we’re talking about here is skier density right? The Lil bro did the math on this already (of course)
snoloco wrote
What ski areas have the highest lift capacity to lowest acreage and vice versa?

Hunter has a combined capacity of 14,600 pph and 250 acres.  That forms a skiers per acre per hour ratio of 58.

Windham has a combined capacity of 13,200 pph and 270 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 48.  

Belleayre has a combined capacity of 9,000 pph and 170 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 53.

Plattekill has a combined capacity of 3,000 pph and 130 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 23.

Mount Snow has a combined capacity of 27,700 pph and 530 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 52.

Gore has a combined capacity of 17,600 pph and 460 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 38.

Whiteface has a combined capacity of 14,200 pph and 300 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 47.

Mountain Creek has a combined capacity of 13,980 pph and 160 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 87.

Killington has a combined capacity of 36,200 pph and 800 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 45.

Okemo has a combined capacity of 28,100 pph and 600 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 47.

Steamboat has a combined capacity of 32,000 pph and 3,500 acres.  Skier per acre per hour ratio is 9.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Do you sincerely believe that the character of the people at Hunter is markedly different than those at Gore?
Yes, I believe the proximity of Huntah to NYC and the Jersey Joeys like Sno  makes a big difference!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
So the idea is that people's character is determined by where they come from? I'm guessing you are kidding.

Gore has a lot of NJ skiers.  The completion of 287 put it 2 hours closer than SoVT.
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
In reply to this post by tjf1967
baloney, I could say the same to you, go to a less crowded mountain.  the mountain is for everyone and there are certain rules that must be observed. If the mountain is crowded you must adjust your speed accordingly, the downhill skier has the right of way. Frankly all it takes is a little courtesy , which we all need, if you have to slow up to protect a child so be it. Believe me if you hurt a kid or other skier, it will be a pretty big deal to you. At least let people know if you are overtaking them. Your whole attitude is incorrect and that's why people get their ticket pulled. ps I never bring the kids on any slope they can't handle, but that doesn't mean they should be endangered by some clown who is four times their weight and wants to go as fast as he can no matter who is  on the slopes. I was once taken out by a snowboarder on an empty slope as wide as a football field,  the only reason I could fathom was that he was listening to his ipad, or he had gone temporarily blind.
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
no matter where you are these are the rules, if you can't abide by them then you don't deserve to be on the slopes I. Rules for the Conduct of Skiers and Snowboarders
(Wording 2002)
1. Respect for others
A skier or snowboarder must behave in such a way that he does not endanger or prejudice others.
2. Control of speed and skiing or snowboarding
A skier or snowboarder must move in control. He must adapt his speed and manner of skiing or snowboarding to his personal ability and to the prevailing conditions of terrain, snow and weather as well as to the density of traffic.
3. Choice of route
A skier or snowboarder coming from behind must choose his route in such a way that he does not endanger skiers or snowboarders ahead.
4. Overtaking
A skier or snowboarder may overtake another skier or snowboarder above or below and to the right or to the left provided that he leaves enough space for the overtaken skier or snowboarder to make any voluntary or involuntary movement.
5. Entering, starting and moving upwards
A skier or snowboarder entering a marked run, starting again after stopping or moving upwards on the slopes must look up and down the slopes that he can do so without endangering himself or others.
6. Stopping on the piste
Unless absolutely necessary, a skier or snowboarder must avoid stopping on the piste in narrow places or where visibility is restricted. After a fall in such a place, a skier or snowboarder must move clear of the piste as soon as possible.
7. Climbing and descending on foot
A skier or snowboarder either climbing or descending on foot must keep to the side of the piste.
8. Respect for signs and markings
A skier or snowboarder must respect all signs and markings.
9. Assistance
At accidents, every skier or snowboarder is duty bound to assist.
10. Identification
Every skier or snowboarder and witness, whether a responsible party or not, must exchange names and addresses following an accident.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
So the idea is that people's character is determined by where they come from?
No, you are reading into my answer.  I’m not passing judgement on the character of all resident of the fine State of NJ or the incredible City of New York, not sure why you’d make it about that.

No, I don’t think where someone comes from defines their character, although it could have an influence.

NYC is a vibrant, bustling city that certainly attracts a lot of young, party oriented people.  If those party oriented people were to go skiing do you think they are going to Hunter or Gore?  Stereotypes and perceptions are not always reality, but Hunter has long had a rep as a party scene, for a reason.

If Snooki and The Situation, neither of which are “from NJ”, left the Jersey Shore to go skiing would they have been more likely to go to Hunter or Gore?