This is going to be epic

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Star Wars

MC2 5678F589
I'm excited for it, too.

Why do you think Marc Hamill isn't in the trailer? I'm thinking there's going to be a moment in the movie where he comes out in a grand climax scene as a hero to win a battle with badass force power and they didn't want to blow it by showing it in the trailer.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Maybe he went back to the dark side.  It could be him in the black mask
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If you also are a ESPN fan you will find this very funny.  Frank Calliendo does ESPN commentators talking about Star Wars

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13929698
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Why do you think Marc Hamill isn't in the trailer?
Skywalker presumably is in it if you assume his robotic hand is the one palming R2. But maybe that is just a red herring.  Otherwise, he's not on the poster either. I suspect he's linked with the big bad somehow. I bet skywalker gets a send off Obi Wan style curing an evil he might have helped unintentionally created. Actually, my first thought was that Skywalker actually is the big bad under the mask (which would mean is in on the poster and in the trailer) but I don't think the studio or Abrams have the balls to go all in like that.

The trailer was a bit of a disappointment after the teasers. I thought the previews were amazing and they had me totally hyped. The trailer seemed pretty generic, perhaps even a let down. Perhaps they are playing too coy in not trying to give too much away. But I think it that attempt, they were overly ambitious and ended up producing a pretty shitty trailer. Just my opinion, I'm sure other people are hyped. But I think they should have just left it at the teasers... they couldn't get me much more hyped than the two teasers that were already released.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I think Luke is the dark side guy in the mask.  The trailer I thought was great.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Coach Z wrote
I think Luke is the dark side guy in the mask.  The trailer I thought was great.

That's Herman Cain crazy, there's no chance that Luke is the bad guy. Disney would not tank one of their most marketable characters but I would guess it could be one of the grandkids.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Come on now, that's Glade under the mask, we all know he's a helmet head
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
He doesn't use ski poles but wields a light saber? I certainly didn't see that one coming!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I am just going to leave this here: Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars and am definitely looking forward to the next installment.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Coach Z wrote

That's Herman Cain crazy, there's no chance that Luke is the bad guy. Disney would not tank one of their most marketable characters but I would guess it could be one of the grandkids.
I agree that Disney probably wouldn't go this route but it was my first thought immediately after seeing the poster and again after not seeing Skywalker in the trainer (excepting the hand on R2 which seems self evident. but could be a red herring). JJ might play that card, I could see Disney maybe going along with it... it isn't like Skywalker is the future of the franchise, the torch is being passed... the kids buying the toys mostly haven't even seen the originals. I think the production company though might be fearful of pissing off older fans. Personally, I'd LOVE to see a twist in which Luke trying to do something good goes bad, maybe realizing it at the last moment and sacrificing to save the day. But I seriously doubt they have the balls for that. But it would be awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
Personally, I'd LOVE to see a twist in which Luke trying to do something good goes bad, maybe realizing it at the last moment and sacrificing to save the day. But I seriously doubt they have the balls for that. But it would be awesome.
That would be sweet. But not sure JJ Abrams really wants to do that sort of thing. This trailer makes me think that he just wants to take the formula that made the first (2) movies great, and just do that well.

Luke dealing with not entirely black and white Good/Evil issues seems like it would take a Christopher Nolan script or something.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by riverc0il
Mark Hamill has done almost nothing else is his acting career and may not be wanting to go on with future movies.  He either is going to be killed off early in this and its just a cameo role or he is on the dark side under that helemet.  Either way I am not going to be upset by that.  They killed Obiwan off in the original because he was likely too old to do a lot more sequals and if the actor died in between it would have thrown the story off.  Plus Yoda was more interesting in some ways.

Who is the girl?  is she the kid of Han and Leah or of Luke?
ABC comments she doesn't have a last name and alluding to this
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/star-wars-force-awakens-characters/story?id=34598232

Is the black storm trooper that deserts the son of Lando in empire strikes back that spent some time with the empire?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Alec McGuinness absolutely hated the star wars franchise and wanted to do as little as possible as Obi Wan.

Mark Hamill was disfigured and it ended his screen career for the most part. He is probably among the most accomplished voiceover actors in all of hollywood though. If anyone has the budget for makeup and to get him to lose 75 pounds though, it would be these guys.

It's going to be tough to explain where all the Empires ships come from after they kill the emperor and death star. Who were the admirals that would want to keep fighting against the rebellion when they would have so much momentum and the upper hand.

Are they just able to rebuild because there's no Jedi presence to detect Sith activities?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Possible Spoiler (but mostly speculation):

If you look closely at the battle scenes from the snowy planet, you can see trenches in the ground that don't look naturally occurring (in fact, they look similar to the trench Luke ran in Episode IV). People are saying that they've built a secret Death Star that looks like a planet. The presence of a Death Star-like thing on the poster adds to this theory. That might provide a base of support for the Sith/old empire forces to consolidate.

Also, I wouldn't get too attached to the villain in this movie, apparently Benicio del Toro has been cast to play another villain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm no Star Wars or movie connoisseur but that trailer looks cool.  Still probably won't see it until ski season is over.

I like the rolling droid. The girl is cute too. :)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
This is a great article about doing what Rivercoil is talking about (written by Jeopardy champion Arthur Chu).

I want Luke Skywalker to fall to the Dark Side for real because “Star Wars” is a story about rebellion — it’s right in the name of the good guys, the Rebel Alliance or, in “Episode VII,” the Resistance — and the most important lesson for wannabe rebels to learn is:

Today’s Rebels are tomorrow’s Empire. Today’s Empire were yesterday’s Rebels.

Rebellion never fully stops. The day is always coming when you might find yourself convicted by conscience and have to turn traitor to your own cause. We’ll never be free of rebellion, at least not until that mythical future where everything’s perfect, which ain’t coming anytime soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This is an awesome speculation piece about the new Sith Lord.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ml242 wrote
This is an awesome speculation piece about the new Sith Lord.
Haha, hilarious. If this was true, everyone in the world would freak the fuck out.