classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Storm Speculation: 12/28/12

campgottagopee
This is from my main man at Grotonweather.com

Good morning, everyone. We are all set for a major winter storm to start this afternoon, so let's get down to the details:

- Snow develops across the area between 1-4pm and becomes heavy quickly.

- During the afternoon, the center of the storm should transition from Kentucky to Virginia. The timing of this is critical and will be watched closely. A later/further north transition will mean a hig...her chance for sleet in our area overnight.

- Very heavy snow overnight and early Thursday morning. The chances for sleet mixing in are in the 30-40% range.

- Every hour of sleet should reduce snow totals by 1-3". Assuming *no* sleet, accumulations of 8-14" are possible by morning. An additional few inches are possible Thursday, with storm totals of 10-16".

- Winds will be gusty, but are not a major concern. Winds will lower already low visibilities and slightly worse already dangerous travel conditions.

- Travel is highly discouraged after 4pm this afternoon through Thursday.

I will be publishing a snow map shortly with additional updates, especially this afternoon. The critical time for the forecast is between 1-5pm when the low is supposed to transition. Check back for updates frequently during this time. Please Like, Comment on and Share my updates to help spread the news about this storm!

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
pro2860 wrote
I'm planning on being there Thursday. There will be a few of us for sure. I have to talk to Camp and see how he is doing. He did a few runs on Sunday for the first time since his knee injury. Fingers crossed...
hope the knee feels strong camp  I'll be there with the fam and some extended family newbs. will look for you guys. prolly not gonna make first chair though - gotta get my pass
You gonna be there over the weekend??? If so, I'll look fer ya on sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
I'm planning on being there Thursday. There will be a few of us for sure. I have to talk to Camp and see how he is doing. He did a few runs on Sunday for the first time since his knee injury. Fingers crossed...
I'll probably stop at Orion's at 11.00 for coffee, hope to catch first chair, or damn close, maybe I'll ride up with camo John...can't wait!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The 48 hour WRF seems to back up Lionel's idea that NY is in a good spot.

I'm thinking of making this our new logo:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
FIS:

WRGB

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice maps.  The first flakes are falling here in North River.

Looks like NWS has upped their call for our area:

I also like the fact that the temps are dropping as the storm arrives.  Don't see that often.

Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Yep - just looked out the window as well here on the ridge above North Creek, it is snowing pretty well.
Just got through cleaning up the edges on ADKGurl's skis - my ski buddy and I are looking at a powder day.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
6:30AM and a good 8" has dropped here on the ridge above North Creek. It's not fluff, heavier than I would have hoped, it maybe lighter up on the rock. Today should be very fun. It's 22 degrees and still coming down. The plow guy is outside giving me a clear path to the mountain.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
about 8" this morning in Jay.  Tranny on the snow blower bit the dust.  Calling the plow guy.  Hopefully I can get to work.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Seems like more than that here (2000'). I'm guessing a foot between what I swept last night and what I just shoveled.  Snowing at a good clip.  Snow is 22° awesome IMO.

Boneheaded move, I forgot to put the car so it can just go downhill to the road. Should be interesting.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Harvey44 wrote
Seems like more than that here (2000'). I'm guessing a foot between what I swept last night and what I just shoveled.  Snowing at a good clip.  Snow is 22° awesome IMO.
This evenings report from the ever optimistic website is 15" total  which is about what I have on my deck now. You may have been in a pocket that got more last night. I am one ridge over from Gore at an elevation of about 1300'