Storm Speculation: 2/1/14

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Storm 2/1/14

ml242
Looks like Gore is getting smacked down again on the radar.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I think 6 inches for gore is a stretch. Maybe there was that much in a few places up top. I think it was more like 2-4 with the 2 on the lower parts of the mountain. It was good heavy base maker snow and turned to mashed potatoes by the afternoon. There were tracks in the woods but non of them were mine yet. This week should set things up nicely.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Danzilla wrote
I think 6 inches for gore is a stretch.
I couldn't imagine 6" coming out of what I saw and normally in my experience Gore is pretty conservative, using numbers from the base.

May change the number to say 3" as a compromise:

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Gore-Mountain-Snow-Totals-2013-2014-td5001479.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
3-4" of sweet beautiful Pow!  K-Man said it best..."It's amazing what 3 inches of fresh snow can do"  My first 3 runs down Chatie on Sunday were some of the best of the year

yeah 6" is pushing it
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Result:

Saturday night starts dumping on the Northway around GORE, by the time we were coming through the Keene area on 73(around 10pm), coming down hard, roads not plowed, as you can imagine very exciting with the anticipation of what's falling at Whiteface. Get into town, go have a few beers, still dumping...go to sleep, still dumping.

Wake up - no snow on the car....WTF!!!  Changed over at some point middle of the night. Roads all wet looking - total bummer. Had that oh crap feeling as we're heading to the mountain.

Pull into the parking lot, mud and mist - yikes.

Looking up - trees white from about mid up - so some hope.

Mid down - sort of a mess

Upper mountain - I'd say 2-3" on little whiteface with 3-5" in areas on the summit.  Luckily this salvaged the whole situation, as I don't ski much below mid anyways unless im going down to gondi.

Skied yesterday, called for sun but turns out it snowed all day, put a nice layer on top 2" maybe

All in all a good weekend with a little scare Sunday morning.

Surprised it changed over at whiteface, when I thought areas to the south and east were going to get that and WF was going to be the only one to be saved by elevation.  I guess the base elevation is pretty low in Wilmington.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
I<3ADK wrote
 I guess the base elevation is pretty low in Wilmington.
~1200'.  Pretty low.