classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Storm Speculation 2/1 - 2/2/11

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
Over the last few days , a lot of people have been crying about the lack of love(snow) the mountains have been getting. This next system might show a Whole Lotta Love..
With a monster ridge forming just off the west coast and polar vortex over Easter Canada. If the balance remains right we could have the best of both worlds. A split flow , flow from the south west and flow from the north. A Baroclinic Zone will form just north of the Mason Dixon line. The boundary of warm and cold , along with a stable wave (a low that doesn't blow up) a juicy over running situation is setting up. This should produce significant snows for all of the mountains of the North East.. As we all know things can change on a dime ,so say tuned..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Storm Speculation 2/2-4

rfarren
I'm watching it closely right now. Could be huge. Hopefully, it rains in the city and the snow line is just north. I would hate to have to deal with digging out the car again, and worrying about finding parking.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Hmmm. Coming home Thursday night instead of Friday night is looking like a good idea.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Looks like warm air aloft will move north of the Cats , while cold air remains at the surface. This might produce a period of icing for the Cats and Berkshires. Areas north of Alb should remain all snow. My first guess 8+ for all the mountains. The chance for significantly greater amounts is possible.

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Storm Speculation 2/2 - 4

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
That map looks like a Jackson Pollack painting..

I'm a little bummed that it is going to rain and ice at my house. You guys up north need the snow more than I do.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
no offense Jason but you really don't need all that snow you have gotten so far this year...share the love with us up here in the "no" zone.  Actually skiing was really good up here this weekend.  I mentioned today on the lift that if we can get the rain into NYC we could see a nice dump...I am calling for 12-18" and if the girls have the day off from school, we're heading north.  I have a big circle around Wednesday and Thursday.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I think it's very reasonable to expect icing in the Catskills for a little while. The real question is how much snow will there be on the backside of that. If it's something like 8-12 inches on the backside of the icing it should really set up nicely for this weekend. Any thoughts based on the GFS or EWCMF?
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
Suds, When it comes to snow, I'm real selfish. I want to see snow up to my windows. I love to watch it snow ,not just read about it..That said, I know you guys are hurting , so the next event is for the northern boys..

I think your 12-18 is a good call..

up to my windows

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
What's the drive across I-90 looking like for Thursday afternoon/night. If all goes well, I'm planning on leaving around 4:30 pm, normal trip takes me about 4 hours 20 mins
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
thurs should be just fine..may some left over snow showers or light snow..skiing should be sick
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
Skiing has to wait 'til Friday, if I'm lucky.
90% skiing Friday. Whiteface or Kmart? Sounds like it could be a Whiteface Epic Day?!
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
After 10 years as a stay-home-mom where I pulled my kids at leisure I am working and it is really cramping my ski style!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
In reply to this post by tBatt
After 10 years as a stay-home-mom where I pulled my kids at leisure I am working and it is really cramping my ski style!!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I am getting a little worried about the over running warm air.  the stronger the low the more warm air potential (however the closer the mix line comes to the mountain...the more of a chance that the bullseye will be there) Channel 13 out of Albany is showing the mix reaching Warren county. Fuji do you have class Thursday...if not it would probably be worth driving through the storm Wednesday to ski the Face Thursday.  I'll be a Gore in the midst of it tomorrow and just hope it stays all snow.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i think anybody north of ALB is safe...

this a link to the ngm fous
http://twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu/fous/ETA/FOUS61.KWNO
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
A "fine flaked" snow steadily falling straight down here at x18, approaching one inch.
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
Based on the latest run of the GFS and NAM I think the catskills are going to be safe. There might be a little sleet, but I don't think any rain/freezing rain will be in the picture.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by tBatt
Rob, NGM fous for ALB, gets the t5's to 0deg..if this is true alb will change to sleet.thus areas south of ALB will also change over..each run is looking warmer..time will tell
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
 Fuji do you have class Thursday...if not it would probably be worth driving through the storm Wednesday to ski the Face Thursday.  I'll be a Gore in the midst of it tomorrow and just hope it stays all snow.
 have three classes and work thursday, and my brother had class. Skipping Thursday = nogo.