Storm Speculation 2/6-2/7, 2020

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Storm Speculation 2/6-2/7, 2020

Kleetus
I know. I probably won't, but will try. Sitting out this much of the season has not been fun. Don't want to re-injure/aggravate it and sit out the rest.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Harv - I sent you an email, but I am probably storm chasing from Pine Hill NY (near Belle) from Friday morning, say 5 am to Gore.  It looks like the smartest thing is to drive east on 28 to 87, and not take 30.   I figure you have taken off from the Platty area to Gore so want to know if you think I am better off going via 30 from the Belleayre area (Pine Hill is 5 minutes down the hill/east of Belle on 28).

I have to go to Pine Hill because my skis are there.  

ScottySkis - if you are around and willing to be at the Pine HIll community center (lots of parking to leave your car for the day) by 5 am on Friday, I am happy to drive you up and down for the day trip.  I have to come back to Pine Hill Friday evening as I am meeting a friend at Belle Saturday morning and have a place to sleep in Pine HIll.  Shoot me an email if interested.

Happy snow hunting to all!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!

JTG4eva! wrote
NorEaster27 wrote
I loved my weekend at Whiteface lodge few weeks ago when we had the two snow storms.  LP is such a great place.
.and it also allows me to release my inner d-bag, with a nice breakfast, a soak in the hot tub, and maybe even a massage!
What time is breakfast?, have trunks for the hot tub, and just massaged a few days back, so I'll pass on this. Think I'm pretty much banned from the watering holes there after entering in T-shirt and Carhartt duds, lol.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by DomB
I’ve taken the route 30 way from Plattekill to Albany. It’s probably about the same driving time give or take but it’s certainly more scenic then 28/87.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Dom, I'm no expert but I'd probably take 88 or 87. Interstate as far as you can.

When I go from Plattekill to Gore I take 30 but it's barely shorter, and in snow, god knows what you'll face.

Would appreciate others weighing in, I just don't know.

My plans are for Gore, or farther north if I can make it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Harvey wrote
Dom, I'm no expert but I'd probably take 88 or 87. Interstate as far as you can.

When I go from Plattekill to Gore I take 30 but it's barely shorter, and in snow, god knows what you'll face.

Harvey- You’re welcome to join us on the OC ski bus this Sunday as my guest! $22 will get you a round-trip bus ticket from Albany to Whiteface and instruction if you want it. $45 cash on the bus gets you a lift ticket. Bus leaves at 6:30 AM sharp from Crossgates Mall in Albany. The bus leaves Whiteface at 5 PM for the trip home.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by Jon951
Not sure if u mean me
I mostly likely be at Gore on Saturday.
I don't drive and I live in Orange County NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
It's on!

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The warning indicates 2-5 inches through this afternoon.  WF reporting 2-5 inches already this morning.  Hoping the forecast holds and the mixed precip is minimal up north.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Firsthand report states it’s snowing hard in Ludlow this AM!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by ScottySkis1
Yes, I meant you : ) !

Got it.  Gore is an up and down for me on Friday - family had elected to stay down this weekend, so I took Friday off before this storm even popped up.

Because of the storm, I am planning to leave early from Pine Hill on Friday, go up and back down to PH that day, and meet up with a friend on Saturday at Belle as previously planned.  

Instead of going straight from the flatlands in the metro area, I am going up to Pine HIll tonight because my skis and boots are there.  Then going to get up early and head to Gore.  

Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Sorry - you being ScottySki1
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Also, guys - if anyone is skiing Gore on Friday, I would be more than happy to meet up with anyone who is jumping into the woods.  While I am a strong and experienced skier, I don't want to jump in woods alone there because I haven't skied any glades at Gore before.  

Feel free to message/email me.  
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

I live outside Albany. from plattekill
rt 30 to 88 is the best way, especially in snow. I have done it many times. up make up time on 88 and 90 going 75 mph.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Thanks, Brownski, Harv and Sig.

Sig - So, 30 N to 88 to 87?  

Is the issue that on 87 there are just more cars?  I am leaving at 5 (which should get me through Albany by 6:30 - I imagine there isn't commuter then - is that wrong.

Is 30 kept clear?  I am assuming 88 and 87 will be equally cleared.

Though forecasts are indicating rain at that level and time.

Thank you guys!
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Gore picked up 4 inches last night, round one is pretty much over will be a lull with a bit of sleet at times, next round is Friday morning into afternoon
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
Yup, 3-4 inches from Saratoga Springs points east and north.  Finishing with some sleet and freezing rain.

Hopefully tomorrow the rain turns back to snow quickly.    
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
This post was updated on .
88 dumps into 90 east then you pick back up 88 north in Albany
Going east will b where u hit traffic. Once heading north u will b fine. That is opposite of rush hour traffic
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
This post was updated on .
Great morning at Gore but it's all starting to ice over

Hoping for some serious snow tonight

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That looks yummy. A little liquid with snow on top could be just what the doc ordered.

Here's the overnight snow, good on Gore:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp