Stowe lift evac

Saratogahalfday
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stowe lift evac

D.B. Cooper
Don't know.....Ethan?

Some lifts can also hook up to a snow cat and have that as a tertiary source of auxiliary power.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Thanks, Vail.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Saratogahalfday wrote
Just out of curiosity, how often are the axillary motors tested for older lifts?
I checked with Peter of Liftblog.  He said it depends on the manufacture.  But in his experience, the recommendation in many manuals is to do a test monthly.  Meaning not only firing up the engine but also coupling to the lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
How many have been evacuated from lifts? 7 times for me. 5 times were for training purposes and 2 were for real. I thought it was cool everytime.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Never. Went through the evac training but I didn’t get a chance to ride the rope down. They only let patrollers do that.  It looked fun.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No shit -- both at Greek and Smuggs they used ski school as the test dummies getting lowered down. It was fun. It's a big step in trust to slide your ass off that chair though. Fortunately I had a bunch of rock climbing experience under my belt so I wasn't that concerned. I can see if someone has never done anything like it before where it would be scary AF.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
5 or so, all in training.

I would like to see a lift evac plan for Whistler's Peak2Peak.  Or Park City's orange bubble when using the Zodiac.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
D.B. Cooper wrote

I would like to see a lift evac plan for Whistler's Peak2Peak.  Or Park City's orange bubble when using the Zodiac.
I would guess the Peak2Peak involves a helicopter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Yup, I've done 7.  All fall refresher fun at Greek and Jiminy.  I've also assisted patrol in completing one when loaded.  It's a different animal.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote

I was thinking the same thing, but then what happens in foul weather? Do they not run thst lift in snow and windy weather?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Marcski wrote
x10003q wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote

I was thinking the same thing, but then what happens in foul weather? Do they not run thst lift in snow and windy weather?
If the cars are at a point too high to lower passengers by rope, they winch the car along the cable until it reaches a place where they can.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Once for training for me.

I’ve always given praises for Stowe being one of the best ski resorts in the east but their lifts sure are getting old.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
raisingarizona wrote
Once for training for me.

I’ve always given praises for Stowe being one of the best ski resorts in the east but their lifts sure are getting old.

Yup. Vail has got to get its act together and start investing, because they own that stuff, not the rest of Stowe - just the ski operations. Killington just spent a ton of money on its lifts, and I just spent a few days at Sugarbush, and their infrastructure is working just fine. Btw, if you want lack of crowds midweek, look no further than Sugarbush. Two pretty full days of skiing, with 8 inches overall, and I rode the chair with another human just once. Great place.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
How many have been evacuated from lifts? 7 times for me. 5 times were for training purposes and 2 were for real. I thought it was cool everytime.
Were the two real ones at Greek per chance? I was lowered off chair 5 about 20 yrs ago. How old was that piece of shit lift then? 20 yrs? The way things have been lately evac two is probably right around the corner. I know, Greek is for people who like to have fun, blah, blah, blah. It was kinda fun, thank God the weather wasn't like this week.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Sugarbush......Great place.
Growing up we always skied Vermont.  I miss Sugarbush.  Need to get my boys there, introduce them to Castkerock, and Stein’s!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
I know someone who retired to Warren and skis mid-week at Sugarbush now.  It's heaven according to him.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cornhead
1 at Greek, chair 5 about 15 years ago

1 at Smuggs, Sterling chair top bull wheel went down. Shut the entire lift down for several days. Had fly shit in via helicopter to fix it ---- that was cool to watch
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Skied SB today.  Pretty frozen wind blown groomers.   Snow on side of trail was soft.  Trees look fun but didn’t have a trees partner so not risking solo when it’s zero out.  Castle rock good!  Soft snow stay on top of bumps it’s fun.   Not quite ice between them.  Max lift lines 10 seconds on a cold Friday.   Thanks warren for the free day pass.  Main detachable quad broke down after an hour.   Down all rest of day.  
Reply | Threaded
|

St. Jerry
So I had dinner with the head of Vail and Breck operations last night (Game Creek Club, thank you) and asked him what happend.  Apparently the problem was the diesel fuel in the back up engine had gelled.